PDA

View Full Version : Loose Shingles

xzochye
February 25th, 2013, 4:20 PM
Thanks to this lovely wind I now have a section of shingles (about 3 feet) flapping around on my roof. Has anyone had loose shingles repaired before? About how much can I expect to pay for this to be repaired?

siamcat
February 25th, 2013, 5:18 PM
A lot of my neighbors have flapping shingles I noticed when I checked my roof. You should be able to get some glue at Home Depot or Lowes and do it yourself.

xzochye
February 25th, 2013, 5:23 PM
A lot of my neighbors have flapping shingles I noticed when I checked my roof. You should be able to get some glue at Home Depot or Lowes and do it yourself.

I have some that have come off and a few that are still attached but torn.

Night Owl
February 25th, 2013, 5:30 PM
You need to get roofing tar from Lowes or one of the other hardware stores. It comes in a tube like caulk does. Lift the shingle and put a couple of lines of tar and press the shingle into the tar. Use tar since it is pliable. Hope this helps.

If you are missing shingles get new shingles and replace the torn ones. An easy job. I would recommend using a tube of tar with this repair also. Don't forget to remove the small plastic strip exposing the tar on the new shingle.

MissElmo
February 25th, 2013, 6:02 PM
We had a few shingles replaced last year by Lang's roofing. It cost $75. I think it was about 5 or 6 shingles that blew off our roof.

mac
February 25th, 2013, 6:05 PM
wow elmo....that's a great price. i'm really s'prised to hear that langs will do it that cheap....mac

We had a few shingles replaced last year by Lang's roofing. It cost $75. I think it was about 5 or 6 shingles that blew off our roof.

sojourner truth
February 25th, 2013, 6:47 PM
There are a number of homes in Skipcha Mountain that lost shingles today. I have been going around the neighborhood and telling homeowners that have lost them . Most folks don't think aboutlooking at their roof until it starts leaking in the house during the next rain event.

Replacing shingles is an easy process if you do it right. There is a place on 190 (right hand sideof the road as you are heading towards Nolanville) before you get to Nolanville that can match your shingles to the right color and type if you want to do it yourself. You will need to get some roofing nails, and caulk (Like Owl said) and then lift up the higher tiles and work your way down. If your tiles are still all there a shot of tar caulk under the bottom edge of the tiles will reset them. Usually, however, when your tile do this sort of thing it is time to consider getting them replaced.

My neighbor had 35 tiles loose, and I helped him caulk them back down before he lost them. It is very windy, so getting on your roof to do this is best left to a professional. It really isn't hard to do, but it can be a bit hairy.

If Lange did the job for that price, you aren't going to beat it elsewhere.

Oh, and an afterthought...There are a bunch of dogs running loose because fences are going down all over the place. The best way to prevent that problem is to have your wooden 4x4 fence posts replaced with steel posts. I did that 5 years ago and haven't lost a fence section since.

cnjbond
February 25th, 2013, 6:54 PM
Just got home and found a couple of our shingles in the back yard...guess I'll be on the roof this weekend! :(

IronErnin
February 25th, 2013, 7:21 PM
Fortunately, Rusty is predicting a fairly dry week, weatherwise.

xzochye
February 25th, 2013, 7:23 PM

So that means we will probably get several inches of rain before the week is over.

Rick
February 25th, 2013, 7:24 PM
Which probably means it's going to rain like hell. :))

sojourner truth
February 25th, 2013, 8:25 PM
Well the 2 yahoos haven't got it right the last 2 times. The "copious" amounts of rain always wind up in the Piney Woods, which is where it always ends up, and the force field over Bell county always ensures we don't get a drop.

These guys rely on their prediction machines way too much, and don't learn about regional trends. I watched the storm front approach on the radar and it did what it always does...gets right to the Bell county western border and then evaporates until it gets by the east border.

For all of you putting up shingles, try that place on 190 I told you about. If you take a chunk of your old roof tile with you, you can get an exact match. ALso, don't use regular caulk to reset your shingles, use roofin tar caulk... It sets with heat when the sun hits your roof.

I gave my neighbor a bunch of replacement tiles I had in the attic that matched his roof perfectly. We spent an hour on his second story roof replacing and setting new tiles. We had to hold them down till they set...That wind is no joke. The neighbor across the street lost half his roof tiles on the nort facing side of his house.

siamcat
February 25th, 2013, 8:57 PM
There are a number of homes in Skipcha Mountain that lost shingles today. I have been going around the neighborhood and telling homeowners that have lost them . Most folks don't think aboutlooking at their roof until it starts leaking in the house during the next rain event.

Replacing shingles is an easy process if you do it right. There is a place on 190 (right hand sideof the road as you are heading towards Nolanville) before you get to Nolanville that can match your shingles to the right color and type if you want to do it yourself. You will need to get some roofing nails, and caulk (Like Owl said) and then lift up the higher tiles and work your way down. If your tiles are still all there a shot of tar caulk under the bottom edge of the tiles will reset them. Usually, however, when your tile do this sort of thing it is time to consider getting them replaced.

My neighbor had 35 tiles loose, and I helped him caulk them back down before he lost them. It is very windy, so getting on your roof to do this is best left to a professional. It really isn't hard to do, but it can be a bit hairy.

Oh, and an afterthought...There are a bunch of dogs running loose because fences are going down all over the place. The best way to prevent that problem is to have your wooden 4x4 fence posts replaced with steel posts. I did that 5 years ago and haven't lost a fence section since.

We had our fence done with steel posts 10 years ago when we first put them up. Replaced boards here and there, but now the back section is wobbly. The contractors we called so far all want to replace them with wooden posts and refuse to use steel posts. Any recommendations?

xzochye
February 25th, 2013, 9:13 PM
We had our fence done with steel posts 10 years ago when we first put them up. Replaced boards here and there, but now the back section is wobbly. The contractors we called so far all want to replace them with wooden posts and refuse to use steel posts. Any recommendations?

Half of my back fence is steel the other half is wood and the entire thing is or has fallen down thanks to today's winds.

siamcat
February 25th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Half of my back fence is steel the other half is wood and the entire thing is or has fallen down thanks to today's winds.

I'm sorry to hear that.

CenTexDave
February 26th, 2013, 4:55 AM

Find another contractor.

sojourner truth
February 26th, 2013, 6:49 AM
Daves right...I did mine myself because the "contractors" who do it use the new instant "quickcrete" in the holes and don't dig the holes deep enough or wide enough. I planted my steel posts 2 feet in the ground with a hole at least 10 inches wide all the way down. Plus, I used good old fashioned sackcrete that takes hours to set and dry.

The problem with the contractors is that they only dig the holes as deep as needed to set them, and they use the instant concrete where you just pour the dry stuff in the hole and then add water. That stuff is very weak and crumbles easily. It's a cheap way to do a fence that looks good until a good wind hits it.

The old 4x4 posts last about 10 years until fire ants and water and the elements weaken them at the ground level...Then they snap in a good wind. Plus, the fence is held up with nails which come loose over time. With steel poles, the 2x4s are held on with lag bolts which are much stronger. I even used regular bolts at the posts to hold on the 2x4s so they will never come loose.

For those contractors who refuse to use steel posts, they are rip off artists that just want your money without doing any real work. Any contractor that refuses to do what I ask will be sitting at home that work day while a more accomodating business I trust is making money off of me. Redoing a fence is hard labor, but when it is done right, it will last until the wood rots out all the way.

sojourner truth
February 26th, 2013, 8:17 AM
One other thing...If your 4 x 4" posts are still up, you can reattach the fence sections. Usually, the fence sections are attached to the 4x4s with nails which work loose in a high wind. When I lost a fence section or 2 and I still had the 4x4 cedar posts, all I did was set the fence sections back in place and reattach them using 3 1/2 " long screws. I used 2 screws for each 2x4 as I attached it to the 4x4 and it held until I got enough energy to replace the 4x4s with the steel posts.

It works and will be a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the posts. BUT, it won't last forever and simply delays the inevitable. For those on a tight budget, reattaching the fence sections themselves is the cheapest options, but I would seriously look at the 4x4 post for serviceablity before doing this. Having said that, I have many neighbors that have had their wooden posts for 15 years and haven't had a problem...Most have gone to steel posts.

For those who want to do the steel posts, let me know and I can tell you how I "pulled" my 4x4 posts very easily without a lot of difgging, plus you get the hole it came out of to use instead of having to dig a new hole in this rock hard Texas soil.

IronErnin
February 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
We have a plastic privacy fence. It is only a couple years old. It has stood up well to the winds and rain and looks as good as it did in the sales material. I would caution y'all though. It'll take the elements well, but if you're looking for something that'll stand up to folks climbing on it, look elsewhere. But it is easy enough to clean, just hose it off. And, it never needs painting. Although, I'd get a different shade. Ours is "glaring white" and sometimes requires sunglasses to just look out a window.

mac
February 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
give the ole boys at "Oak Tree" a call at 368 7096. they're hungry and will put her up the way you want her up.....mac

Ang
February 26th, 2013, 3:04 PM
If you're in the fencing business...you have plenty of work now! I'd say 25% of the wood fencing is down in area 15. Make hay while the sun is shining!

CenTexDave
February 26th, 2013, 3:28 PM
I had steel posts installed in 1992. The original 4x4's lasted 10 years before they rotted out. These steel posts were correctly installed and nothing is wrong with them to this date.

sojourner truth
February 26th, 2013, 3:36 PM
About 1/3 of the homes in Skipcha have lost shingles or fences. The good news is that most of the 4x4 fenceposts are still up so it's just a matter of getting someone to hold the fence up while you put some 3" deck screws back in. Pretty easy really.

The bad news is that my neighbor (who only lost 2 shingles) called Lange roofing to have them replaced, and they are making a waiting list...A rather long waiting list too. Probably be 2 days till they get to her house. My shingles match hers, and I had an extra pack up in the attic so I gave her the shingles she needs. At least she won't have to go match and buy some new ones.

I helped a neighbor behind me put up 2 fence sections she lost, just a few minutes ago...Only took us 15minutes, but I put 3" deck screws in the rest of her 4x4s so it won't happen again next windy day.

Gonna be fun...Wonder if we qualify for disaster aid like in Sandy?

Mestral
February 26th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Half of my back fence is steel the other half is wood and the entire thing is or has fallen down thanks to today's winds.If your fence is wobbly or down after this week's wind, either the posts are failing (buckling) or they were not dug in deep enough. As Sojourner said, they need to be dug in deep and set with sackcrete. If set in deep, the width of the hole at the top of the concrete is what is important, so if you use a small auger, you might have to widen the hole a bit near the top. (If you use a post hole digger, my sympathies.) Should take about half a bag per post, I think. (Sojourner, you have more experience on wood fences, my experience is on just about every kind of post except wood fence, tell us if I am wrong about the quantity.)

Mestral
February 26th, 2013, 4:32 PM

We have a plastic privacy fence. It is only a couple years old. It has stood up well to the winds and rain and looks as good as it did in the sales material. I would caution y'all though. It'll take the elements well, but if you're looking for something that'll stand up to folks climbing on it, look elsewhere. But it is easy enough to clean, just hose it off. And, it never needs painting. Although, I'd get a different shade. Ours is "glaring white" and sometimes requires sunglasses to just look out a window.Your house is in an area (down the street from mine, remember) and only got half of the wind that HH got.

siamcat
February 26th, 2013, 5:25 PM
Thanks for all the fence tips.

I don't know why only the back fence posts are lose and not the other three sides. It could be because the back neighbors don't take care of their yard at all and the two on each side do.
I noticed that a lot of houses on the north side of Killeen have lost shingles or loose shingles. We got lucky, maybe even a bare tree blocks the wind.

Mestral
February 26th, 2013, 5:46 PM
The wind was out of the west. I have a tree covered ridge to my west. If the ridge were on my east, it would have been ugly.

sojourner truth
February 26th, 2013, 5:51 PM
A lot of what we got here in Heights on fences was just the sections blew down and left the 4x4s up. If your 4x4s arent broken or wobbly, you can reset the fence panels. Usually, the installersonly use a single nail to hold the 2x4s to the 4x4s, and the vibration works that loose eventually. If it does, the fence panels will pull loose from the posts. Using a few 3" deck screws instead of nails will fix that problem.

Post holes nee to be at least 2 feet deep or more, not tapered (this means using a post hole digger to finish the holes..ouch) and a whole bag (more or less) of good quality sackrete. I use a magnetic pole level to make sure everything is straight. If you ant to replace wood posts for steel, I used a farm jack. I drilled a hole throeugh the bottom of the wooden post, stuck a piece of rebar through it, hooked a chain around the rebar and used the farm jack neaxt to the post to simply "pop" the wooden post out. It leaves a nice clean hole for the new steel post with no fuss, no muss. Plus, I did one or 2 poles a day so I didn't kill myself. You can leave the fence sections standing up and hooked to a wooden post until the steel post is set with new concrete. Then you have to buy and mount the old fence sections back up using the steel post hardware and 1/2" lag bolts that won't ever work loose. I didn't lose a slat or a shingle yesterday.

Oh, and Siamcat, the direction of the wind has a lot to do with which side of the fence goes down. Just as the only shingles that bit the dust yesterday were on the north or west side of the houses.

xzochye
February 26th, 2013, 6:22 PM
My back fence just needs to be replaced, period. I am hoping that the people that live behind me will call their rental agency and ask them to come fix it now since it is their fence. I just had my son pick up some of the boards that fell off and nail them on diagonally to keep my dogs in the yard and the rest of the fence from falling over.

A friends father cam and replaced the shingles that blew off this morning. Very thankful for that! Just wished we would have been home so we could have learned how to do it just in case...

Mestral
February 26th, 2013, 6:26 PM
. . .Post holes nee to be at least 2 feet deep or more, not tapered (this means using a post hole digger to finish the holes..ouch) and a whole bag (more or less) of good quality sackrete. I use a magnetic pole level to make sure everything is straight. If you ant to replace wood posts for steel, I used a farm jack. I drilled a hole throeugh the bottom of the wooden post, stuck a piece of rebar through it, hooked a chain around the rebar and used the farm jack neaxt to the post to simply "pop" the wooden post out. It leaves a nice clean hole for the new steel post with no fuss, no muss. . . I didn't mean to use a standard shovel to dig them. That would be too tapered and too wide. If you were pouring a full sack of crete into a 4x4 hole 2 feet deep, you were using a smaller sack than me. Did the wood posts you pulled have cement on the bottom? Did you fill the hole all the way to the surface? (the concrete in mine stops about 4 inches below the surface) I set a couple posts for a double 5 foot gate in chain link, using half bag apiece, so I guess the bigger task of holding a wooden fence up might need that whole bag.

On a similar note, be sure to use big enough posts. A friend of mine hired a contractor to install a fence, and wasn't satisfied with the size posts the contractor used. They were probably standard for the job, but he just wasn't sure they would hold up. We came up with a solution to strengthen them, but it would have been better if they had used a size larger posts to begin with.

sojourner truth
February 26th, 2013, 7:18 PM
2" steel galvanized posts will withstand almost any wind if properly placed. When I popped my wood posts out of the ground (35 of them in my yard) all but 3 came out with the concrete and all in one shot. It leaft a big enough hole once you cleaned up the sides and took it down to 2 foot depth. Most were already 2 foot deep anyway. I filled the hole all the way to the top. IOf you don't, water sits in the soil on top of the post and it can rust out eventually. Even galvanized steel posts will over time. That is also why it is important to put caps on each post..so water can't sit inside.

Chain link fence is not as vulnerable to the wind so smaller posts are OK.

With steel posts, replacing 2x4's and slats is a ton easier too, as you can do it modularly by section and take you time. Even buy the materials as the money is available. I also sprayed the fence with KILZ to prevent rot, and then painted it with a cheap exterior paint for appearance sake.

CenTexDave
February 27th, 2013, 9:18 AM
ST - quick question Sir. Is there anything you cannot do?

Night Owl
February 27th, 2013, 9:35 AM
ST - quick question Sir. Is there anything you cannot do?
He's a Redleg, of course he can do anything.:))

sojourner truth
February 27th, 2013, 9:48 AM
Au contraire my friend...I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.:))

Ludwig
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Neither could Johnny Cash nor can Willy Nelson. So you're in good company. :)

sojourner truth
February 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM
No, but I can play guitar a lot better than either of them can.

xzochye
February 27th, 2013, 12:00 PM
No, but I can play guitar a lot better than either of them can.

:)) =;

Note he did say Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson!

CenTexDave
February 27th, 2013, 12:13 PM

And I did not mean that cynically - it is an honest question. You just seem to know so much about so much.:)

sojourner truth
February 27th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I was the "fix it, no matter what it is" guy at the airport for 16 years. You learn how to do a lot out of trial and error, plus watching repair guys that know what they are doing.

Plus, I have had to do all of these home repairs by myself over the years because I have a cheap wife.:))

Night Owl
February 27th, 2013, 1:55 PM
You could have if you tried. You just never saw the need to try. I have the same problem. I had a choir director ask me to sing solo one. I said really and he stated as a matter so low no one can hear you. That was the end of my singing career. :))

Mestral
February 27th, 2013, 3:32 PM
You could have if you tried. You just never saw the need to try. I have the same problem. I had a choir director ask me to sing solo one. I said really and he stated as a matter so low no one can hear you. That was the end of my singing career. :))Don't let him deceive you about his singing. I have heard SJ, and my opinion of his singing is different than his.

siamcat
March 1st, 2013, 5:08 PM

Is the place on the right side of 190 when you travel East or West toward Nolanville?

sojourner truth
March 1st, 2013, 5:20 PM
It's on the right side if you are heading from Killeen towards Nolanville. East bound I believe.

I can't remember the name of the place. It's something like "All American Supply" or something like that. You can see the supply of shingles stacked up behind the chain link fence. They will match the shingles by maker and color. They also are the best place to buy ceiling vent fans and "turtle" type roof ventilators. Much better than Lowes or home depot.

Oh, and as for my vocal skills, Mestral has had the misfortune of listening to my last CD. If anyone wants to torture their ears, PM me an adress and I'll mail you a free copy. They are suitable for skeet shooting. Oh, and it is Christian Rock too.