PDA

View Full Version : Portion Sizes

xzochye
May 11th, 2009, 2:24 PM
Dr. Buckley,

I have a yellow lab that is 5 1/2 or 6 years old. He weighs roughly 71 lbs. How much should I feed him daily?

I also have a rat terrier/red border collie mix. He is medium height and lean, around 20 lbs. How much should he be fed?

I used to leave food out for them all of the time but I have noticed that the lab is getting a bit chunky.

Thanks!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 11th, 2009, 3:09 PM
Thanks for your question.

Typically a 70 pound lab that is eating a high quality dry dog food will have to eat about 4 cups per day to maintain a given weight. This does not account for treats or table food that they may be receiving. If you are trying to get the dog to lose weight, evaluate your exercise program, eliminate fatty treats and table food and decrease the dry food to 3 cups per day and weigh weekly. We want the dog to lose the weight slowly and safely (maybe 1% per week) and then increase food slightly to achieve maintenance at target weight.

As for the 20 pound rat terr/bord coll mix, 1 1/2 cups per day should provide maintenance. Weigh that kiddo as well and make sure everything is stable.

Remember, medical conditions and individual metabolism can impact our dog friends and their weight just as it does us. Consult your veterinarian if you need help in refining this plan.

Key Points for Feeding Dogs:

1. Measure food accurately after following recommendations on bag or from your vet
2. Select proper food for life stage of pet (puppy, adult or geriatric) - DRY FOOD IS BEST!!
3. Limit or eliminate treats and table scraps
4. Exercise frequently for a more fit and happy dog

Good luck with the dogs.