PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the brass?

Rick
January 12th, 2013, 9:49 PM
Since I shoot in my backyard, I pick it up. What do you do with the brass?

Grammar Rules
January 12th, 2013, 10:12 PM
At the rate we are going, I say we open up CTT Recycling. Lamp stands, candle stick, doorknobs.. ..

Night Owl
January 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Reload it. Cheaper than buying

circle_c
January 13th, 2013, 5:34 AM
Roll your own that's best, at lest you know what's in it before you try it. From reading on the forum I think some of us need to build secure ammo bunkers in the backyards. The used ammo cans from Army and Navy stores may be taking up to much storage in the out building and garages and becoming detrimental to our health. :-)

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 9:42 AM
Reloading It is something I might look into.

Has anyone done it? Messing with, and storing gunpowder around the house is kind of scary...lol

Scarlett
January 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Haven't done it since I was about 10. Another of those fun things dad had us do when mom wasn't around....

mac
January 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
well rick, if you're serious (and i don't for one second believe you are, i kind of figure that if anyone on here know what to do with expended brass, it's you), but if you're really serious about what to do with it, put it in a transparent zip lock of an appropriate size and set it on your curb and give me a holler......mac

sojourner truth
January 13th, 2013, 4:03 PM
I tried reloading for a while back in Germany, and wasn't very good at it. I kept getting the powder measurements wrong because they were measured in Avedupois (or something spelled like that) and the conversion ratios were always off. I gave up after somepretty bad results.

Most of the ammo I get nowadaysis steelcased, and not reloadable. That's why it is so cheap. Some people do take their expended brass casings to the gun shows and sell them. They sell pretty quick to serious reloaders.

Mestral
January 13th, 2013, 6:42 PM
From what I have read, you have to be pretty serious (gun range kind of serious) about it, or don't bother. Suspect you should have a dedicated shop for it. I would suggest several people go together to create a gun and ammo club. That way y'all can split the cost of facilities and equipment. I am not serious enough. My brass gets donated to the guy who runs the range where I shoot. He has something like a giant Bissell he uses to pick it up off the ground. I suspect he sells it to the local guys with the backyard smelters (oops, I don't know a thing about those guys).

sojourner truth
January 13th, 2013, 9:27 PM
Since I shoot in my backyard, I pick it up. What do you do with the brass?

Let me know if you want to have some company plinkin'...I'd love to have a place in the country where I could pull off a few rounds in my spare time.

If you would like to shoot an AK, a Car 15, or an M1a, give me a call. I think it would be a fair trade myself.

Oh, and I'll bring my MP 15-22 and the 45 if you want some real fun. :)

PS...I could score some of that excess Pecan wood you have laying around too.

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 10:03 PM
LOL Well, you were invited to come get some wood.

I built this a couple of weeks ago.

You'll have to come out to try my Henry 44 Magnum when I get it back from the factory. It wasn't feeding right and when I called the factory, the guy immediately said, "You have to send it back to us so that we can make it right." They sent a UPS prepaid label and I sent it to them last week.

Rick
January 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM
From what I have read, you have to be pretty serious (gun range kind of serious) about it, or don't bother. Suspect you should have a dedicated shop for it. I would suggest several people go together to create a gun and ammo club. That way y'all can split the cost of facilities and equipment. I am not serious enough. My brass gets donated to the guy who runs the range where I shoot. He has something like a giant Bissell he uses to pick it up off the ground. I suspect he sells it to the local guys with the backyard smelters (oops, I don't know a thing about those guys).
I was thinking that it would be better to do as a group. I don't know how long it would take to make a couple hundred rounds. Or if it would really be cheaper.

I know that guys who shoot competitions like to reload their own so that they can make certain that every bullet is the same, but for killing commies, I'm not sure if it matters much.

P.S. Watching heads explode with that comment.

Mestral
January 14th, 2013, 2:22 AM
I have a couple friends that do it, and have watched all those clips on "the outdoor channel" and priced some of the products (all of this a couple years ago) and came to the conclusion that it would only save money if done on a large scale, like several hundred rounds at a time. Of course, I was probably figuring in time as if it were money, it's a habit from my days in management.

circle_c
January 14th, 2013, 6:17 AM
I used to do all my own shotgun shells, 410 GA on up. fairly simple and back then reloading equipment was not that terribly expensive. Purchased it all at the rod and gun On FTH. But also, we had a group of us that would get together on the weekends and help reload shells for the trap and skeet range on FTH. Once a month we would get altogether at one of the gunsmiths house and reload other types of ammo., everyone would chip in for the materials which we deemed fair for each of us. Had to bring your own beverage of choice. If you were using material for special loads you had to supply your own. This thread brings back some great memories. But then again, that was a long time ago.