PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting Pecans

Rick
October 9th, 2012, 3:29 PM
Our trees are really producing this year. Since we moved onto the property, we haven't been able to get any. A lot of them are starting to open up now.

When is the best time, and what is the best way to harvest them?

We have a lot of pecan trees.

Night Owl
October 9th, 2012, 4:30 PM
Call me and I will come and harvest them.:))

When the outer shell splits and you can see the end of the pecan it is time. Wear gloves or your fingers will be black and almost impossible to get off.

xzochye
October 9th, 2012, 4:41 PM
I agree with NO. I will send my son over to get me enough for a couple of pies and some cookies.

olderthandirt
October 9th, 2012, 5:54 PM
If you have an abundance that need a good home, I'd be willing to take some off your hands. Ooh, yummiliciousness in a shell!

CenTexDave
October 9th, 2012, 6:24 PM
Just how many trees do you have out there, Rick?
I used to work with a guy whose brother had acres of them out around San Saba. A company would come in, pick them, and give a nice fat check every year.

Grammar Rules
October 9th, 2012, 6:50 PM
A good cold snap and some wind always loosens the hulls and makes them drop. We never thrash ours. Enough fall to pick up plenty for baking and snacking.

Cane poles are good for thrashing, and some people spread a sheet on the ground.

Rick
October 9th, 2012, 7:44 PM
I have no clue as to how many trees are on our property.

These are the native pecans which are smaller.

Anyone who wants some can come and get them. If not, they are just going to rot on the ground. I drove my tractor around and there are some huge trees just full of them.

GR, we were thinking about putting a tarp under some of the branches and hopefully, that'll give us the chance to get them before the worms burrow into them.

This tree was struck by lightning a couple weeks ago and has a bunch of pecans starting to open.

Grammar Rules
October 9th, 2012, 7:58 PM
Not to mention the squirrels. Ours are opening up also. I think Saturday will be family gathering day for us. My husband has more fun gathering than eating--almost.

CenTexDave
October 9th, 2012, 8:02 PM
Good firewood too

IronErnin
October 9th, 2012, 8:08 PM
Mother bought a device our first year in this house for gathering fallen pecans. It consists of a bit of coil spring attached to a handle. A person can pick up a few nuts before emptying it out. Saves a lot of bending over.
BTW, anyone wanting pecans can also come to our house to gather as much as you like. Our squirrel doesn't need all that we have, in addition to his raids on the bird feeders.

Rick
October 9th, 2012, 8:09 PM
Yes, my wood rack is full from the branch that fell last year, yes branch, that was bigger than this tree. So I have years worth of firewood, I sell some and give some to friends.

And to the tree huggers, I never cut live trees. Enough fall from natural causes that I don't have to...lol

Scarlett
October 10th, 2012, 1:46 PM
Call me and I will come and harvest them.:))

When the outer shell splits and you can see the end of the pecan it is time. Wear gloves or your fingers will be black and almost impossible to get off.

Why would you want to take your fingers off?

Grammar Rules
October 10th, 2012, 8:09 PM
Yes, my wood rack is full from the branch that fell last year, yes branch, that was bigger than this tree. So I have years worth of firewood, I sell some and give some to friends.

And to the tree huggers, I never cut live trees. Enough fall from natural causes that I don't have to...lol

The tree experts--botanists? arborists?--call pecan trees "self-pruning." They slough off branches regularly, resulting in lots of firewood for the gathering. But I would be careful around them in a strong wind, especially since the drought has caused some cracks in the limbs.

sojourner truth
October 10th, 2012, 8:51 PM
Pecan is super for smoking ribs. It's the only wood I will use when doing my slow smoked ribs.

Oh, and to harvest...1st you have 10 kids, then give them each a bucket....:)

Rick
October 10th, 2012, 9:38 PM
That "branch" gave me this pile of firewood.

I use it for smoking, and they say it's a mild smoke, but I think it's not, so I use less of it than mesquite.

JoAnn Purser
October 11th, 2012, 9:02 AM
Our trees are really producing this year. Since we moved onto the property, we haven't been able to get any. A lot of them are starting to open up now.

When is the best time, and what is the best way to harvest them?

We have a lot of pecan trees.

An organized way to harvest is to lay sheets on the ground and thrash with cane poles to retrieve.

Hardware stores sell the rolling catcher/harvester that was described in earlier posts.

When rain/wind storms blow through you can then go and pick all that have been knocked down.

I usually harvest in November.

When you do pick lay them out on newspapers to dry or they will mildew.

If you need to have them cracked the Belton Feed Store will crack them while you wait for a fee. If they are backed up with other orders and you want your specific pecans back call ahead to check on how busy the cracking machine is. After the nuts are cracked they are much easier to peel apart. :)

kantwin
October 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I picked up a 5 gal bucket full of hickory nuts last night from my one 150' tall hickory tree.
Hickory is a bit tougher to get the meat out of, but still pretty tasty.
I don't have any pecan trees in my yard. Wish I did, but if I were to plant some, it would be 10-15 years before I got anything good from them.

Grammar Rules
October 22nd, 2012, 7:07 AM
Some of the trees on our place are dropping ripe pecans, but most of them aren't ready yet. I had a couple of yummy little natives crumbled into my oatmeal this morning.

We also have a grove of trees with the the larger nuts, the hybrids we call papershells. These are in the river bottom, and my dad told me years ago that these trees were planted along the rivers across the state by the WPA in the 1930s. Has anyone heard this story? A local realtor who also farms and ranches told me he'd never heard of that.

I do know the WPA did terracing for flood control and built bridges in the area.

Night Owl
October 22nd, 2012, 2:59 PM
Why would you want to take your fingers off?

Because they turned black from the pecans. They grow back in a couple of weeks.:)

olderthandirt
October 28th, 2012, 4:38 PM
Thanks, Rick, for the wonderful afternoon -- the pecans we gathered today are great! I hope you enjoy the salsa and jam as much as I'm planning on enjoying your goodies :)

cnjbond
October 28th, 2012, 5:23 PM
Thanks, Rick, for the wonderful afternoon -- the pecans we gathered today are great! I hope you enjoy the salsa and jam as much as I'm planning on enjoying your goodies :)
Whoa Rick, what kind of pecan harvesting operation are you running?!!! :)

xzochye
October 28th, 2012, 5:29 PM
Hahaha

Rick
October 28th, 2012, 7:01 PM
You're welcome. My wife enjoyed talking to you.

Whoa Rick, what kind of pecan harvesting operation are you running?!!! :)
I'm not telling. :)

olderthandirt
October 28th, 2012, 7:04 PM
I'm not telling. :)

Let's just say a good time was had by all.......

engteach64
November 16th, 2012, 8:09 PM
Hey Rick! Do you still have pecans? I'll trade you some fresh baked bread for some...

Rick
November 16th, 2012, 8:45 PM
I'm not sure how many are left in the trees. I'll be at a football game tomorrow, but you are welcome to come check.