PDA

View Full Version : Suing my sister

cityboy
October 3rd, 2012, 8:18 AM
My sister was executor of my mother's estate. She did not perform her duties correctly. Kept nearly all of the money for herself and apparently spent it. I was cheated out of tens of thousands, but never did anything about it because I did not think it would do any good, anyway. In the will, apparently, my sister was given mineral rights to some property that my mother owned (the property was sold, but not the mineral rights), and someone recently discovered oil on the property. Sister is now flush with oil royalties, and I think I may have a case for her being required to pay me what I am owed. Do I?

Grammar Rules
October 3rd, 2012, 9:30 AM
Probably, but you will need a lawyer. Should be "well" worth it. My cousins and I recently were notified we had mineral rights from our grandfather that he acquired in the 1930s.

cityboy
October 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
As soon as I get a copy of the will, I'm going to a lawyer ...

CenTexDave
October 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Money is the root of all evil. It even causes families to break apart.

christine
October 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM

Not always. If people are generally good and learned how to share/ do the right thing its not. Good luck CB. It sounds as if you have a long road ahead of you but hopefully your sister will do the right thing.

Ludwig
October 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM

No. It is not money that is the root of all evil It is the love of money which is at the root of all evil. Only people commit evil.

CenTexDave
October 3rd, 2012, 1:35 PM
Glad we have two philosophers on here now. :))
I've seen too much of this kind of stuff divide families, and it's happened to mine.
Whether it's the love of money or money itself that is evil, the end result is the same - broken families forever.

Ludwig
October 3rd, 2012, 1:42 PM
One cannot chose his/her kin. One can only chose his/her friends. Sometimes, only sometimes, kin turn out to be friend as well.

christine
October 3rd, 2012, 3:08 PM
Glad we have two philosophers on here now. :))
I've seen too much of this kind of stuff divide families, and it's happened to mine.
Whether it's the love of money or money itself that is evil, the end result is the same - broken families forever.

As have I Dave. But I guess I still have hope lol

cityboy
October 3rd, 2012, 6:47 PM
My sister will only do the right thing if forced to by law. Hopefully, that will happen ... and, yes, it is the love of money that is the root of all evil. I just want what is owed me, and for her to be held accountable for her actions ...

Grammar Rules
October 3rd, 2012, 8:02 PM
Was the will probated?

cityboy
October 4th, 2012, 6:21 AM
I think so. The county clerk is supposed to be mailing me everything ...

cityboy
October 5th, 2012, 6:03 PM
Got my copy of the will and everything else in the file. Boy, howdy, I got screwed royally out of $30,000-40,000. The question remains, do I have any legal recourse. I will consult an attorney next week ...

Grammar Rules
October 5th, 2012, 8:12 PM
When I had my father's will probated, the financial institutions all required death certificates and Letters Testamentary from the court order to transfer his assets. I had to furnish proof I was the sole heir and provide an accounting of all assets and liabilities. This is my only and very limited experience, but I think it's pretty standard.

Ludwig
October 5th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Got my copy of the will and everything else in the file. Boy, howdy, I got screwed royally out of $30,000-40,000. The question remains, do I have any legal recourse. I will consult an attorney next week ...

I assume that the relationship is already in the crapper. If not, it appears that the relationship is not worth more than about $40K to you... pretty cheap on you mate. Go see your lawyer... he may only cost you $25K when it's all said and done. Good luck!

cityboy
October 6th, 2012, 9:50 AM
There is no relationship. The family detonated when my mother died. If I can get what is owed me, fine. If I have no case, that's OK, too. At least I'll know, and maybe my sister will have to answer for what she has done ...

FieryPrincess
October 6th, 2012, 4:20 PM
I'll execute my parents estate when it comes up. My mom had it written in that I get 75% and my brother is only to get 25% because he STILL lives at home and she figures he got it up front.

He'll just waste it on drugs. I am tempted to have my mom look for a way to bypass him and put his share in trust for his daughter - the one they support because he is a waste. He certainly isn't doing anything for her now.

I would say you have a case, but it will have to be fought and it will be won by the best lawyer, not necessarily the rightest person. If she is that flush, be sure you sue for court costs and attorney's fees as well so your 40K ish really 40K for you and cost more than that for her.