PDA

View Full Version : Red Jacket Firearms 5.56 at Academy!

Rick
October 1st, 2012, 3:57 PM
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_462103_-1?color=Black&Ntt=red+jacket&Ntk=All

So is this a quality gun or is it a few hundred more for the name?

Looking at comments on gun sites, they sure do have a lot of haters out there.

I do like that there is a lifetime warranty on it.

I want to know what the more experienced among us have to say about it.

CenTexDave
October 1st, 2012, 5:01 PM
I have never heard of Red Jacket, but read the comments on Academy's website.
Sounds impressive, but a bit more than you'd expect.
Are you getting ready Rick? :))

Rick
October 1st, 2012, 5:24 PM
We saw it at Academy in Temple yesterday and my wife asked if I wanted it now. I told her I wanted to research it some more.

Red Jacket Firearms (http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/) is the gun shop / "manufacturer" featured on the Discovery Channel's show, Sons of Guns (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/sons-of-guns/). When I first started watching it, it was pretty good, but a few of the latest episodes seem to have "jumped the shark".

The screaming idiot has gone on my last nerve.

sojourner truth
October 1st, 2012, 5:31 PM
It;s OK, but with the M4 style weapon, you are getting a shorter barrel length for a smaller, lighter weapon. Plus, it's made by a company I have never heard of. I have a Rock River car 15 which has the longer barrel, fires 5.56, and has the M2 (standard military type) sighting system, so there isn't a learning curve on zeroing the weapon. If you ever toted an old M-16, it is as close as you can get. The 5.56 is OK for shooting .223 which is good. 5.56 is a bit more expensive than 223, but does have a bit more power. The choice of ammo is up to you. You can get some real bargains on Tulammo in 223 or 5.56 if you opt for the stell casings instead of brass. If you buy a car 15 type weapon in 223, don't try to shoot standard 5.56 through it. it can't handle the chamber pressures.

I also bought the M1A 7.62 nato rifle from Rock River. It is basically an M-14 without a bayonette lug. Truly a great weapon.

My car 15 was about $900, and the M1A was about $1000. I bought both at Quantico tavtical in the old 440 plaza. They give a discount to military and retired military, and are way cheaper than gun show weapons.

My AK47 was about $600, and makes a decent home defense weapon. 7.62X39 is really cheap ammo.

I also got a Rock River .45 M1911 which looks, feels, and shoots exactly like my .45 I had in the Army. A great handgun for about $400. Way cheaper than the Colt version.

Lastly, if you do buy one, get your ammo from "cheaperthandirt.com" as it is pretty cheap and you can buy in bulk.

Let me know if you want to go to the range. I need an excuse to sneak out again.:)

rk103
October 2nd, 2012, 3:39 PM
All the AR type lower receivers are built by only a few manufacturers. 95% are using the same aluminum alloy. A few are made of stainless ($$$) If you get a generic flat top from any of the name brands -S&W, DPMS, Rock River, etc you are getting a basic M16 style rifle. The rails, advanced sights, fancy grips add $. The more exotic ones like the SIG, Ruger and other gas piston rifles are going for much more. For me the basic model is fine and they can be had at $600. All the extra stuff is fun to add as you want or can afford it. If you go with 5.56 ammo, make sure you stick with the same bullet weight you zero with. If you get the 62 gr, it is probably steel core and not allowed at many ranges. I love the AR15 platform and it is versatile and fun. I've built several and 1 of my personal ones is pretty much a civilianized M4.