PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong stops fighting

FieryPrincess
August 25th, 2012, 3:52 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/sport/lance-armstrong-investigation/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

"From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation," Armstrong said in Thursday's statement.
"The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?"

One tends to wonder what is motivating all of this. It sounds to me like in the face of the overwhelming physical evidence that they have decided instead to take the hearsay from the teammate. From reading the article, it also sounds as if there is no way for Armstrong to win the battle. I mean - anyone could say anything anytime. It doesn't make it true. Armstrong at one point was the most tested athlete in sports. If they couldn't find anything as available as he was - it is a fair indicator that there was nothing to find.

I have never been a cycling fan, but I am a bit of a fan for Armstrong and what he has overcome. By trying to preserve the integrity of the sport, they have ruined it. I side with Armstrong.

Mestral
August 25th, 2012, 4:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/23/sport/lance-armstrong-investigation/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

One tends to wonder what is motivating all of this. It sounds to me like in the face of the overwhelming physical evidence that they have decided instead to take the hearsay from the teammate. From reading the article, it also sounds as if there is no way for Armstrong to win the battle. I mean - anyone could say anything anytime. It doesn't make it true. Armstrong at one point was the most tested athlete in sports. If they couldn't find anything as available as he was - it is a fair indicator that there was nothing to find.

I have never been a cycling fan, but I am a bit of a fan for Armstrong and what he has overcome. By trying to preserve the integrity of the sport, they have ruined it. I side with Armstrong.Me thinks it is political. He is, after all, and American who took the honors that normally go to europeans. I guess they just couldn't handle the embarrassment of having him win year after year. This should serve as a warning about signing any thing that involves "arbitration," as that is the same as signing away your rights ("arbitrators find for the corporation about 99% of the time, since the corporations pay them to dispose of the complaints). Normally I am not too much of a fan of government, but I think that the arbitration craze is something that should have been reigned in years ago.

sojourner truth
August 25th, 2012, 6:13 PM
Methinks you have hit on the truth. The biggest factor is that the French think that they are the only ones who are supposed to win this thing every year, and have been pressuring USADA to disqualify Armstrong so they can pass the wins down to the first Frenchman in line.

Of course, there is the small problem that the 2nd and 3rd place winners were Belgians and Dutch. No problem...They have already had them disqualified as well for doping.

It is a farce, and Lance knew it. It would save everyone a lot of time and effort if they just awarded the medal to the first Frenchman in line. If the doping problem is so severe, why aren't there ways to check the status of participants prior to the competition? It wouldn't matter, because Lance passed all the tests anyhow, and still got the axe.

Of course, if it would have been a Frenchman that came across the line first, there would be no questions asked.... Lance and any American might as well compete in the Black Miss America Pageant...They'd stand a better chance.

onetime
August 25th, 2012, 9:32 PM
I think it is just a tad bit fairy tail-ish to believe that he did not take steroids, literally in regards to the testing the man with the most cash in hand usually wins. The sport is absurdly dirty in that most of the winners get caught using some sort of performance enhancer I for one am glad he just gave up. Where there is smoke there is always fire.

FieryPrincess
August 25th, 2012, 11:51 PM
except when there isn't.

If they can't find something in over 500 tests...

Mestral
August 26th, 2012, 2:51 AM
I think it is just a tad bit fairy tail-ish to believe that he did not take steroids, literally in regards to the testing the man with the most cash in hand usually wins. The sport is absurdly dirty in that most of the winners get caught using some sort of performance enhancer I for one am glad he just gave up. Where there is smoke there is always fire.
Do you really believe the tripe you posted, or did you accidentally post to the wrong thread?

Rick
August 26th, 2012, 3:49 AM
I don't know what to think about Armstrong giving up. Maybe he did dope, maybe he just figured that they weren't going to stop accusing him, so why go broke? I don't know.

But to those blaming the French, this latest push was from the United States Anti-Doping Agency who receives our tax dollars and quite possibly needed to land a "big fish" in order to keep the money flowing.

The science shows that he didn't, people, (some of who have been caught) say that he did. What do you believe?

CenTexDave
August 26th, 2012, 5:40 AM
The international agency that handles cycling pronounced him clean time and time again.
I think Rick's onto something.
Interesting to note that his charity has had a surge in donations the last couple of days.

onetime
August 26th, 2012, 8:08 AM
except when there isn't.

If they can't find something in over 500 tests...

From what I hear from sports radio, there are a variety of ways to beat it, but also I have heard that they were going to test blood samples as well as use testimony from his former teammates. Most of the people that participate in that sport including the Americans that were on his team have been caught using some type of performance enhancer.

kantwin
August 26th, 2012, 8:50 AM
USADA assessing a penalty, that it may not have the legal authority to do, going beyond the statute of limitations, based upon accusations, without regard to scientific proof.
Guilty until proven innocent.
What a wonderful organization.

CenTexDave
August 26th, 2012, 9:29 AM
Yep, you don't see the other countries' doping agencies going after their own.
Only in Amerika.
It's all political.

Mestral
August 26th, 2012, 4:01 PM
From what I hear from sports radio, there are a variety of ways to beat it, but also I have heard that they were going to test blood samples as well as use testimony from his former teammates. Most of the people that participate in that sport including the Americans that were on his team have been caught using some type of performance enhancer.As I understand it, there are a variety of ways to beat it sometimes, but I have never seen anything that beats the tests repeatedly.

sojourner truth
August 26th, 2012, 4:31 PM
It doesn't matter, as it is now a moot point. The cycling organizations didn't have to go after Lance. What for? The USADA was doing all the dirty work anyhow. Point is, it is like being tortured until you get so tired of it you just say whatever the torurer wants to stop the pain. We will never know. Even though Lance has thrown in the towell, the USADA hasn't got the proof it needs, and any rejection of his wins is all heresay evidence without fact from the USADA.

In other words, you are guilty because we think you are, despite the evidence. Must be democrats. Or someone trying very hard to justify their jobs and power.

Ludwig
August 26th, 2012, 5:58 PM
I guess that Lance decided to take the advice of our friend from Dallas, "When you're being raped, just relax, lay back and enjoy it."

sojourner truth
August 26th, 2012, 6:44 PM
More like the rape won't stop until you say I quit and then it isn't any fun for the rapist any more.

onetime
August 26th, 2012, 7:49 PM
Seriously people who quits when they know they are innocent? I mean c'mon lets be serious

Ludwig
August 26th, 2012, 8:14 PM
The system is against the innocent. While it is alleged that one is innocent until proven guilty, the reality is that the innocent when accused must spend huge sums to defend themselves. Lance has already spent in excess of $1 M in his defense and yet his enemies continue their efforts since they are not spending their own money in the harassment. Lance is just tired; rightfully so.

corgifan
August 26th, 2012, 9:29 PM
He doped. No doubt about it.

FieryPrincess
August 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM

and this is based on.....

the eyewitness testimony of someone else doped up? that's not real credible

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2012, 5:10 AM

I guess it takes one to know one.

onetime
August 27th, 2012, 5:45 AM
The system is against the innocent. While it is alleged that one is innocent until proven guilty, the reality is that the innocent when accused must spend huge sums to defend themselves. Lance has already spent in excess of $1 M in his defense and yet his enemies continue their efforts since they are not spending their own money in the harassment. Lance is just tired; rightfully so.

Lance Armstrong is worth well over a 100 million dollars, well over. $1 million dollars to him his like a $1000 dollars to the middle class family and $500 to the lower middle class family. I would bet that most people would be willing to spend less then 2% of the overall worth to keep there name clean. Secondly, why doesn't bring up a counter suit for defamation of character to usaada or his ex-teammates? He did what's normal in that sport, which is take performance enhancers. How many people can come back from cancer and still be at the top of their game?

kantwin
August 27th, 2012, 6:37 AM
Those bringing the accusations and "witness" statements, if I'm not mistaken, were all offered something in exchange for their statements, such as immunity. Gee, what's that tell you?

Night Owl
August 27th, 2012, 6:46 AM

Another stupid statement. I am not surprised. Present your facts proving he is guilty. If you can't then you once again prove my statement.

Night Owl
August 27th, 2012, 6:47 AM
Lance Armstrong is worth well over a 100 million dollars, well over. $1 million dollars to him his like a $1000 dollars to the middle class family and $500 to the lower middle class family. I would bet that most people would be willing to spend less then 2% of the overall worth to keep there name clean. Secondly, why doesn't bring up a counter suit for defamation of character to usaada or his ex-teammates? He did what's normal in that sport, which is take performance enhancers. How many people can come back from cancer and still be at the top of their game?

It must be interesting living in your world. Why not join the rest of us in the real world.

sojourner truth
August 27th, 2012, 8:59 AM
Evidence. Evidence. Evidence. Ther is none other than heresay of others who have been offered deals for producing "he said-she said" BS. He passed every doping test with flying colors. But let's not let little deatails like the truth influence what we think and say. It's much more fun to guess and make stuff up. At least for some. How many times does "He passed all the required tests" have to be repeated before anyone listens. Evidently one more time than he was willing to.

christine
August 27th, 2012, 2:11 PM
I don't understand after all that he's passed why they still won't let it go.
Just a prime example of someone/ a board not being able to let something go and be wrong.

siamcat
August 27th, 2012, 5:47 PM
Just a prime example of someone/ a board not being able to let something go and be wrong.

I know, I don't understand it either.

Mestral
August 27th, 2012, 5:52 PM
They won't let it go because they have an agenda, and truth is not part of that agenda.

FieryPrincess
August 28th, 2012, 3:05 PM
I am listening to a comedian's take on this from another room.

"Of course Lance is a cheater. He cheated DEATH! and if I find out he did it using drugs, I am going to be very disappointed."

onetime
August 28th, 2012, 8:35 PM
I guess roger Clemens is innocent as well?

Rick
August 28th, 2012, 8:56 PM
Innocent of what?

kantwin
August 28th, 2012, 9:13 PM
Innocent of what?

Buttoning his shirt wrong?

FieryPrincess
August 29th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I guess roger Clemens is innocent as well?

I don't know. *I* started a post about Lance Armstrong. Start your own post about Clemens.

christine
August 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Wow who pissed in your Cheerios ?

Ludwig
August 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Wow who pissed in your Cheerios ?

onetime did, I guess. And now, perhaps you.

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
The courts said he was, as did the international cycling organizations not find any doping against Lance Armstrong.

sojourner truth
August 29th, 2012, 2:02 PM
The thing that gets me is that most of the other top finishers were found to be doping by their perpective doping agencies. Evidently, it is almost a sure thing with competitive cyclists. The question will be, who among the top finishers will be awarded the coveted yellow jacket?

I'd be willing to bet the foreign doping agencies will "lose" their test results, unlike the americans.

Not sure how many came up "clean", but the story I read said it wasn't very many, and that if Lance could fool the testers the others could too. It will wind up being a matter of whose doping agency will NOT do the right thing in order for their guy to bring home the gold. In the end, it'sall politics and crookedness.

onetime
August 29th, 2012, 9:06 PM
Innocent of what?

Perjury, he stated way back when that he never used steroids. He was found innocent, he never failed a drug test, heck Barry bonds never failed one either so I guess all three of them did it on raw talent alone.

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2012, 9:39 PM
I reckon so. :))

Rick
August 29th, 2012, 9:46 PM
A jury found him innocent of lying to congress. Certain members of congress by the way, lie to US every day. So yes, and at the risk of further angering the princess, given the justice system of the U.S., Clemons is innocent.

gnatsum
September 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Didn't I read this weekend that the ADA only banned Lance after he chose to stop fighting the charges and allegations??

"Wait, the defendent is not fighting the charges, so let's give the defnedent a STRONGER punishment than if he chose to challenge us at the review panel!"

corgifan
October 22nd, 2012, 5:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8536389/uci-agrees-strips-lance-armstrong-7-tour-de-france-titles

I'm sorry to see a guy who was such an inspiration lose it all in disgrace.

Scarlett
October 22nd, 2012, 8:35 PM
This whole thing kinda breaks my heart.

olderthandirt
October 22nd, 2012, 9:11 PM
Mine too

onetime
October 22nd, 2012, 9:40 PM
Drifting off topic, but how many people would do the same if given the chance? Would you break a ton of rules in the beginning, only to be discovered later on down the road to be a fraud. I wonder how much guys like lance or Alex Rodriguez made over the course of their respective careers. Alex Rodriguez has made close to half a billion dollars and lance has likely made well over 200 mil. I mean their dignity is gone but the money they made will be around for generations. I think I would anyone with me?

Mestral
October 23rd, 2012, 6:35 AM
How many think his accusers are the fraud, and that those who "witnessed" him doping made a lot of money for their "testimony"?
I am one. And I think, instead of him being a disgrace, the anti doping dicks are a disgrace and on the take.

cityboy
October 23rd, 2012, 6:38 AM
Part of me says there is nothing wrong with using performance-enhancing drugs. Does it give the user an advantage? Apparently, yes. But so does extra practice and hard work. So what do we do to level the playing field? Make everyone do the exact same workouts? Eat the same foods? Take the same vitamins? Get the same amount of rest?

Mestral
October 23rd, 2012, 6:42 AM
Part of me says there is nothing wrong with using performance-enhancing drugs. Does it give the user an advantage? Apparently, yes. But so does extra practice and hard work. So what do we do to level the playing field? Make everyone do the exact same workouts? Eat the same foods? Take the same vitamins? Get the same amount of rest?At the level of training needed for international competition, extra workouts lead to injuries, not better performance.

xzochye
October 23rd, 2012, 6:50 AM
How many think his accusers are the fraud, and that those who "witnessed" him doping made a lot of money for their "testimony"?
I am one. And I think, instead of him being a disgrace, the anti doping dicks are a disgrace and on the take.

Well said!

FieryPrincess
October 24th, 2012, 9:16 AM
My heart hurts for him.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I read the other day that Greg LeMond, who was a multiple winner of the Tour de Farce before Armstrong, has called for the resignation of the people responsible for this.

prideworks
November 30th, 2012, 7:34 AM
Well said!

After following his stories for years, I'd say the entire testing and regulation process is inconsistent and flawed.

cityboy
November 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Armstrong has to be at least one of the most railroaded athletes/celebrities in history ... also, how is blood doping the same as something like steroids?

cnjbond
November 30th, 2012, 1:42 PM
Armstrong has to be at least one of the most railroaded athletes/celebrities in history ... also, how is blood doping the same as something like steroids?

They are both banned because they are believed to give a competitive advantage, maybe?

corgifan
January 5th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Reports are saying that Armstrong may be getting ready to make some admissions in order to become eligible to compete in other athletic events.

FieryPrincess
January 5th, 2013, 4:31 PM
I read one. It didn't make sense to me, but admittedly I am not into doping for better performance so I probably wouldn't understand.

Some newspaper was reporting that he would dope and then use a blood transfusion to hide he effects, but I fail to see how that helps If he was tested directly after an event. Ether drugs would show up or the blood transfusion would have elongated them from his system.

something smells very off to me.

Mestral
January 5th, 2013, 4:59 PM
It's extortion. That is all you need to know.
Lance's one weakness is he has an insatiable desire to compete in public.
If he could find a private outlet for that desire, they would have little to use against him.

corgifan
January 6th, 2013, 5:45 PM
No. He doped, was good at hiding it, got rich doing it, and now wants back in. In my maggot infested libtard opinion of course!

Mestral
January 6th, 2013, 6:14 PM
No. He doped, was good at hiding it, got rich doing it, and now wants back in. In my maggot infested libtard opinion of course!Wow, didn't know you had maggots.

Night Owl
January 6th, 2013, 8:05 PM
I would have said he doesn't have an opinion.

corgifan
January 13th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Lance is pulling the Oprah Card tomorrow.

onetime
January 14th, 2013, 3:45 PM
I got slammed on this board a whenever this was posted for calling the guy a fraud.

Mestral
January 14th, 2013, 3:59 PM
I got slammed on this board a whenever this was posted for calling the guy a fraud.
I'll be happy to slam you again :)
What is a coerced confession worth?

onetime
January 14th, 2013, 6:40 PM
Coerced? I am sorry I did not know he was kept up for 48 hours with electricity strap to his feet. He is going to be sued by dozens and dozens for the lawsuits he won against them. It would be stupid to confess

Scarlett
January 15th, 2013, 8:18 AM
I can't imagine he was "coerced" into telling the truth.
I am a fan of Armstrong...but wrong is wrong.

Ludwig
January 15th, 2013, 8:31 AM
Money can be very coercive. I think he had a short range goal and did not look at the long range consequences, neither then nor now. Doped or not, I will always be grateful to him for those Wow! moments in my life.

FieryPrincess
January 15th, 2013, 4:11 PM
If he told the truth then I am very disappointed. Fact is, it still doesn't make sense to me. Both sides of this are throwing wide of the target.

If Lance was so guilty, then why sue a newspaper for defamation of character? If he was so good at hiding doping, then why didn't the varying and assorted bike/drug agencies offer a deal to find out he did it?

There are still lots of missing pieces and I am not satisfied with how things lie.

It feels like a desperate attempt to satisfy the vultures to save the foundation.

Grammar Rules
January 18th, 2013, 7:11 AM
I didn't watch the first half of the Oprah Rehab interview, but I did see excerpts. Maybe I'll record it tonight or whenever it's on. He wants to compete again, so he is "coercing" himself in an attempt to keep some of his $100,000,000 fortune. He straight up admits to EPO, testosterone, blood transfusions, and steroids.

Now I really would be interested to know if the stuff he took brought on or exacerbated his testicular cancer.

And the French were right about him. Oh, the pain!!!! Quelle dommage!

macs
January 18th, 2013, 1:15 PM
I have read many articles telling how he got around the tests and their results. It may be political, but he still did it and he admits to it. No one is breaking his arm. He is admitting it because he wants to compete again. What he deserves is to be incarcerated for being a liar. If its good for Martha Stewart, its good for him. No amount of money, nor who you know, should keep you from your punishment.

It brings nothing but shame to our athletes who work so hard and depend on practice, strength, mental clarity, etc.

Ludwig
January 18th, 2013, 4:08 PM
What I heard is that he felt he had to dope just to keep up with the other cyclists who were doping. I don't doubt the truth of that.

FieryPrincess
January 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I was most disappointed that the lies continue. He only admitted the doping up to 2005 which is outside the statue of limitations where be can be criminally prosecuted.

so he's the dirtiest guy in a sport where they are all dirty.

The ultimate punishment is to make it completely unprofitable by not watching or supporting.

then again he did beat cancer. I wonder if his doping contributed somehow.