PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n Roll Marathon (Susan Komen Foundation)

olderthandirt
August 19th, 2012, 7:08 AM
This is being held on Sunday, November 11 in San Antonio. There are a few of us from CTT who are already signed up to walk the half-marathon, but wouldn't it be amazing to have even more?!? Jo Dee Messina will be the featured artist. For those who may not read the Education section, we meet each night at 8 at Lions Park and will change the time to earlier now that school is back in session.

Check it out:
http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-antonio/register

FieryPrincess
August 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM
It is a neat little half-marathon. My husband has run that one twice.
In case you all really get into it, the Dallas R&R HM has beautiful scenery. My husband enjoyed that one a lot too.

Ludwig
August 19th, 2012, 2:43 PM
Because of their continuing support of the baby butchering Planned Parenthood, I and mine will have nothing to do with anything supporting the Susan Komen Foundation.

FieryPrincess
August 19th, 2012, 6:34 PM
OK. You that the Susan part is a small portion of the overall race and is not the function for the race.

That's like boycotting chik fil a because you don't like fries.

Ludwig
August 19th, 2012, 6:48 PM
IMHO, equating the butchering of babies with fries is a bit shallow. But, to each his/her own.

FieryPrincess
August 19th, 2012, 9:50 PM
so is equating a whole marathon with a small subgroup that doesn't represent all the runners.

Ludwig
August 19th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Said "subgroup" does, however, get the profits. The runners only get blisters and labored breath and whatever else one gets from running a mini-marathon and they get to pay for the privilege so as to enrich the "subgroup".

FieryPrincess
August 20th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Komen foundation does not get all the proceeds - they just get something if you register to be part of their team.

So convince people to not join their team. Komen does not own the R&R marathon.

olderthandirt
August 20th, 2012, 6:20 AM
Back to the original intent of this post, which was certainly NOT to belabor the political position of ANYBODY, if you are interested in participating in this half-marathon, please get in touch with me. Hotels are filling up fast, and it would be fun to stay close together if possible.

olderthandirt
November 9th, 2012, 6:56 AM
The race is this Sunday, and I'm excited and nervous and ready to fight back (our shirts are even bling-ed out with "Fight Like a Girl!"). I know supporting the sponsoring foundation is not what some are interested in, but I would like to ask for prayers for those of us who are going to attempt the race, as well as those who have had to fight the fight. I can't wait to cross that finish line!

Ludwig
November 9th, 2012, 8:02 AM
... I know supporting the sponsoring foundation is not what some are interested in
You have found me out.

but I would like to ask for prayers for those of us who are going to attempt the race, as well as those who have had to fight the fight...
I will do as you ask.

olderthandirt
November 11th, 2012, 8:45 PM
We did it!!! Miles 8/9/10 were pretty rough, but my baby girl and I kept on keeping on. The last 1/4 mile was even UPHILL, making the finish another mini-accomplishment. The support from folks lining the city streets, and the music, and the tremendous number of prayers being lifted up were beyond words. I hurt in places I didn't know I had body parts, but it was also very healing for me. For anybody who has had to look your babies in the eye and utter those horrid words, "Mommy has cancer", you know you don't walk this path alone. Thanks to all who have supported us!

FieryPrincess
November 11th, 2012, 8:53 PM
Good for you!

xzochye
November 11th, 2012, 8:54 PM
We did it!!! Miles 8/9/10 were pretty rough, but my baby girl and I kept on keeping on. The last 1/4 mile was even UPHILL, making the finish another mini-accomplishment. The support from folks lining the city streets, and the music, and the tremendous number of prayers being lifted up were beyond words. I hurt in places I didn't know I had body parts, but it was also very healing for me. For anybody who has had to look your babies in the eye and utter those horrid words, "Mommy has cancer", you know you don't walk this path alone. Thanks to all who have supported us!

AWESOME JOB!!!