PDA

View Full Version : KISD Football @ Fort Hood Stadium

Agent X
August 16th, 2012, 5:54 PM
What do you think about KISD high school playing a few games at Fort Hood?

Good idea? Bad idea?

All the fans on same side of field?

xzochye
August 16th, 2012, 6:19 PM
What do you think about KISD high school playing a few games at Fort Hood?

Good idea? Bad idea?

All the fans on same side of field?

They will need lots of security that's for sure. Not just for the student's either. Some of the parents are worse than the kids.

sojourner truth
August 16th, 2012, 6:34 PM
I just don't like the security checkpoints. The distance is about the same, and I haven't seen the Hood stadium lately. I suppose like most old farts I don't like change. I am used to the drive to Buckley, where my favorite seats are tec. The only drawback really is developing a new routine.

Hopefully the concession stands are the same...We'll see.

Wolfdawg
August 16th, 2012, 10:01 PM
There is supposedly going to be a way to the stadium without checkpoints. It will be nice for Shoemaker to not have to drive across town to watch their team play.

RooDawg
August 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM
This is a BAD IDEA...There is nothing that is good about this idea...It would be really nice if the stadium at least had stands on both sides of the field...and I will have to say that I am a little biased about not doing this since I am a Roo Fan but lets go over this...

Currently on game days...

Shoemaker, Ellison, and Harker Heights have to transport from their schools to Leo Buckley Stadium while Killeen played all of their home games without traveling...

Now, all schools have to transport, at least one time, to Hood Stadium...let's go over this...Shoemaker and Ellison will transport and I am not sure if it is the same distance or not...I am sure that Shoemaker will consider the distance better for them and they might enjoy that part...i can believe that Ellison won't care for the travel out to Hood Stadium but again I am not sure...

As for Harker Heights, they have to drive past Leo Buckley stadium all away from across town to get to Hood Stadium...I know I wouldn't like that and I can almost be sure that the Heights fans won't...

Now, how smart is it to have Killeen High, which has Leo Buckley Stadium sitting on its campus, to pack up and travel through town to get to Hood Stadium...

To me these are all common sense things but the district is in partnership with Fort Hood about Hood Stadium and they are trying to remain equal within the district by making the schools travel out there at least one time...but does any of those travel plans make sense other than Shoemaker?

And you still have to pay for all the busses that you are using, which of course is not any different than in the past except for the fact that you have to now include Killeen into that fee...

Now let's talk about the schedule of the teams...I have to admit that the district did do a good job of scheduling the local teams to play each other at Hood Stadium...Ellison, Harker Heights, and Shoemaker will play each other there...Killeen is the only school that will not play there twice and will not play another local team...This is where the district is not using common sense and is trying to appease everyone...they have planned to have Killeen play at Hood Stadium against Belton...I have a problem with that...In an effort to make everyone happy, they are asking Killeen to move an important district game against a team from out of town...

Now let's talk logistics...from what I have read there will be a direct road to the stadium that will alleviate any problems with getting onto Fort Hood. The stadium itself is planned for a seating of 5000 and, again, those seating will only be on one side of the field...I am not worried about security as much as most, although that needs to be a concern...and I am no logistic person but I can on envision, going left to right in the stands, the heights band, the heights' student section, the heights' general admission, the shoemaker general admission, the shoemaker's student section, and then the shoemaker band...won't that be crowded during those local games? And then how about the Killeen/Belton game...Including the Belton 100, Belton's band, Belton will bring a large contingent to Hood Stadium...What if they need more than 2500 seats, which is a real possibility since the Belton fans travel well...

And just to add one more complaint about Hood Stadium as is...it will be a grass field...I will say this, every team in our athletic district plays their games on the synthetic grass...against local teams this might not be a big deal, but when Killeen plays Belton, part of their advantage would be there speed on turf, take that away from killeen and then put them on grass, which is a slower surface, and the possibility of rain and that advantage is taken away...so much for home field advantage.

And let's just see if the stadium will be ready by the time the games start...there is still a possibility that they it won't be ready.

When talk first started about a joint use field with Fort Hood I was really excited...I figured it would be a nice facility that had stands on both sides that maybe Ellison and Shoemaker could call home...since that is not the case I have my reservations about this plan...Of course I could be wrong about all of this and it becomes a wonderful thing...i hope so...

sojourner truth
August 17th, 2012, 1:10 PM
Does this change mean we won't have Thursday and Saturday games? That would be a good thing. I am an Ellison fan and think Friday night lights is the best way to go. If watching my favorite team means thursday or saturday games, I'm not happy about that.

xzochye
August 17th, 2012, 1:23 PM
There is Thursday games but none on Saturday.

Agent X
August 17th, 2012, 5:19 PM
I think having those intra-district rivalry games at a location with seating only on one side is just asking for it.

blueeagle
August 17th, 2012, 5:38 PM
I think it is really stupid to spend lots of money on a stadium that has only one side. Even the middle school stadiums have two sides, because experience tells us, you do not mix the fans. A one sided stadium is really archaic, not a lot of sense used there, but then, didn't the government build this stadium? If so, all makes sense!

CenTexDave
August 17th, 2012, 7:41 PM
Word has it it is being built with a grant from Obama Sports Enterprises - they ran out of money for seating on both sides.:))

DiamondKing
August 17th, 2012, 9:16 PM
Is there another 4A or 5A stadium in the state with seats on only 1 side. Is there another football stadium in the WHOLE state for that matter with seats on only one side?

DiamondKing
August 17th, 2012, 9:30 PM
Belton fans will outnumber Killeen fans at the new stadium and Cove would outnumber whatever KISD team it plays at Hood Stadium. Temple fans would probably do it as well.

corgifan
August 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
For Harker Heights High, it takes 10 minutes for the drive to and from LBS. The drive to Fort Hood will add about 5 minutes more. I don't see that as a factor.

gnatsum
August 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM
The original Pritchard Stadium/Field on Fort Hood only had stands on one side. Don't know why PS was built that way, but maybe the new one was built to the same "rules"?

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2012, 7:56 AM
It's been that way on every military installation I've been on. Guess they're too cheap to build a visitor's bleachers.

sojourner truth
August 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM
All the seats are on the left side of the stadium. No room in the middle. Those who have money have to buy seats for those who don't. They won't keep a score so that there are no winners or losers.

corgifan
August 18th, 2012, 3:48 PM
All the seats are on the left side of the stadium. No room in the middle. Those who have money have to buy seats for those who don't. They won't keep a score so that there are no winners or losers.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2012, 7:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned the stadium is a waste of money.
There are stadiums just like this at Shoemaker, Ellison and Harker Heights high schools. They could have used those.

xzochye
August 18th, 2012, 8:03 PM
SHS's stands are small. There is no way a varsity game can be held there. The two bands alone would need more room.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2012, 8:57 PM
Put the bands outside of the end zones. :)

xzochye
August 18th, 2012, 9:28 PM
Put the bands outside of the end zones. :)

I think it would still be a tight fit. There were a few freshman games where that stand was almost full.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah, but do they show up to watch the varsity?? :))

xzochye
August 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah, but do they show up to watch the varsity?? :))

Believe it or not a lot more show up for varsity...lol

It's pathetic. My son has played sports in middle school and now high school and I have noticed that very few parents show up for the games. I can't imagine missing one of my son's games and I don't see how some parents blow it off so easily. Now I can understand having to work but other than that I can't imagine not attending his games.

During baseball last year it was me and 2 other sets of parents at every game. On a rare occasion another parent might show up but they never stayed for both games.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I hear ya. It's criminal.
My son played football and I went to all his games - home and away.
Same with my daughter, and some of those soccer games at Abilene, Stephenville and College Station were brutal on work nights.

Scarlett
August 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
My son starts this year....7th grade. I don't PLAN to miss his games...but having three kids on three campuses all with activities and being the only parent in this state....I'm bound to screw up the scheduling at some point. Probably soon. :(

xzochye
August 18th, 2012, 11:07 PM
My son starts this year....7th grade. I don't PLAN to miss his games...but having three kids on three campuses all with activities and being the only parent in this state....I'm bound to screw up the scheduling at some point. Probably soon. :(

But it will be because you are doing something for one of your kids. That's acceptable...lol

beaver
September 2nd, 2012, 6:43 PM
I just can't imagine that the new Hood stadium will be able to accommodate the fans and bands for two 5A high schools. Is the press box able to handle coaches, scouts, media and the free banquet setup for those folks?

corgifan
September 2nd, 2012, 7:20 PM
It's pathetic. My son has played sports in middle school and now high school and I have noticed that very few parents show up for the games.
Then there's Belton HS games. It's a sea of red there.

Ludwig
September 2nd, 2012, 8:43 PM
Then there's Belton HS games. It's a sea of red there.

Of course the citizen of Belton turn out. They have only one High School and the team of that school represents the entire city. Killeen, on the other hand, has four High Schools, none of which have the loyalty of the citizenry but only the loyalty of the friends and family of that particular school's team, band, cheer-leaders and whatever else they decide to put on public display on the field. Kind of like VLA productions in that regard. Few go to VLA productions for the entertainment but rather they go to support the cast and staff... not trying to change the topic... just using an example.