PDA

View Full Version : Ellison trying to rebound from 0-10 campaign LOL

onetime
August 7th, 2012, 6:25 PM
What happened to the Ellison Eagles? I mean honestly they use to be good, lets take a look at their run.

2006 - 8-3 Playoffs 1st round exit (
2007 - 5-6 playoffs 1st round exit
2008 - 5-5 (1st year of my "Buddy and me")
2009 - 4-6 (year two of my "buddy and me")
2010 - 4-6 (year three of my "buddy and me")
2011 - 0-10 (year four of my "buddy and me")

13-27 in four years of the my "buddy and me" -- Let us note that 3 of the wins each or 9 of the total wins were versus Temple, Shoemaker, and Heights when the stunk.

What will year five bring for the second largest if not largest schools in KISD, rich with talent

jimbob
August 7th, 2012, 7:38 PM
Coach McBride does a good job in teaching young people to grow into men. It's not all about wins and losses. Extracurricular activities is simply a tool to aid in the education of youth. Ellison coaches are "A number one."

onetime
August 7th, 2012, 7:56 PM
Coach McBride does a good job in teaching young people to grow into men. It's not all about wins and losses. Extracurricular activities is simply a tool to aid in the education of youth. Ellison coaches are "A number one."

Why is Killeen isd the only school district where being a nice guy and losing is just alright? If he's a nice guy then he should be an assistant coach and let someone else make the tough decisions. I guess all of the other schools in the area don't mold boys into men.

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2012, 8:18 PM
:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

sojourner truth
August 7th, 2012, 8:18 PM
Yer treadin' on thin ice here onetime. I tried last year to mention that Ellison needed something and got jumped all over like a blue eyed stepchild. What you are supposed to do is hold your nose, yell "GO EAGLES", and keep on smiling. Maybe the new tactic concerning spring training will pay off this year. Plus, a new look at some quarterbacks. I can only hope that lessons were learned last year. I saw some promise on the offense. Would like to see something other than "hey diddle diddle, run up the middle", but maybe the QB's can convince the coach running is an option, not a must. The big issue was defense, in my opinion. The offensive points were there, and some talent. You have to have some D to win. Still, we can all hope for the best. Nothing like a good ol' revival. After watching the Rangers this year, I could use some good news.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 6:43 AM
Yer treadin' on thin ice here onetime. I tried last year to mention that Ellison needed something and got jumped all over like a blue eyed stepchild. What you are supposed to do is hold your nose, yell "GO EAGLES", and keep on smiling. Maybe the new tactic concerning spring training will pay off this year. Plus, a new look at some quarterbacks. I can only hope that lessons were learned last year. I saw some promise on the offense. Would like to see something other than "hey diddle diddle, run up the middle", but maybe the QB's can convince the coach running is an option, not a must. The big issue was defense, in my opinion. The offensive points were there, and some talent. You have to have some D to win. Still, we can all hope for the best. Nothing like a good ol' revival. After watching the Rangers this year, I could use some good news.

The proof is in the pudding, they have the third largest school in the uil district and 2nd largest in kisd. Anyone that keeps up with sports in the local area knows that they as well as heights draw from a consistently more affluent pool of kids then shoe and Killeen. 0-10 with a weak schedule like they have is unacceptable no matter how you break it down. They were spanked in quite a few games which makes matters even worse. The kids are going to start flocking to basketball and baseball if the culture there doesn't change soon and they probably already are. I would bet there freshman team has taken a hit too. The same goes for heights with all of those division one players and they can't make the playoffs in again a very weak 5-a district the past 2 years. Aside from Console and cove everyone else should have been very winnable games. The district is a little more difficult but they have winnable games on the schedule again, both teams just have way to many decent body kids to be so flat in ellisons case they just plain stink. Somebody has to take the blame for the badness.

jimbob
August 8th, 2012, 8:01 AM
Why is Killeen isd the only school district where being a nice guy and losing is just alright? If he's a nice guy then he should be an assistant coach and let someone else make the tough decisions. I guess all of the other schools in the area don't mold boys into men.

I beleive all the coaches in this area do a super job of molding young men. That is what the educational experience should be about. Winning and losing centers around talent and coaching does play a major part of how much happens on either side of that coin. There are some coaches that you just know their team (regardless of talent) will either be a winner or loser on the scoreboard but I encourage everyone to realize this is high school and the most important ingredient is athletics is it is a tool for the overall educational process. Just my opinion.

sojourner truth
August 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
It would be nice if that was really what it was all about...Character building and healthy athletic competition. But I have noticed one thing above all others since moving to Texas...High school football is God. Texans putit above professional and college sporting events. It makes the front page of the paper twice. Once in the main news and again in the sports section. The first thing on the news during football season is the scoresof the high school games. So, as much as we say it's about the character building, it isn't to the fans. Maybe the coaches, who try their best, tell themselves this, but it ain't gonna sell to the public. Fact is, the Eagles have beenlooking progressively worse the last few years, and you can't put all of that on the players backs. Now that the Cobb brothers have moved up, I will be very interested to see if coach Buddy is going to stick to his traditional offenseive tactics. Also, the talent potential should be fairly easy to spot early on. Both for the offense and the defense. We all want to see them succeed, but the reality is, in Texas, no one likes a no win season. If they say they do, they are lying or not a Texan.

Ludwig
August 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The main reason HS football is big in Texas is because it represented town vs. town competition. You can see that in Temple and Copperas Cove. They have one High School and when their teams play the town turns out for them. Killeen now has four High Schools and it seems that there is an extreme lethargy within the fan base as a result. Fans don't, I believe, identify with the school nearly as much as they do with their town and when their High School does not represent their town they could not care less.

BobKerley
August 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM

13-27 in four years of the my "buddy and me" -- Let us note that 3 of the wins each or 9 of the total wins were versus Temple, Shoemaker, and Heights when the stunk.

For no other reason but just to be a smart***, it looks like the common denominator is "buddy and me." If they have a turnaround season this year with the same coach, I think we've identified the problem that existed for four years. ;)

sorry... couldnt resist.

sojourner truth
August 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I go to every home game the Eagles play, and can tell you that fan apathy is not a problem. The Eagles have a very active fan base. The faculty and students give a lot of heartfelt support for their team. It never helps when the team is not performing. There are a lot of dissappointed people, not just the young men competing. We are all hoping for something a little better this year. Blaming the talent for the outcome is not the answer. At least not the total answer. I realize the coaching staff wants to concentrate on this year and put last year behind them, but to totally ignore it is unrealistic. When things aren't going well for me the first place I start looking is at myself. Old chinese proverb...A poor craftsman blames his tools.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The main reason HS football is big in Texas is because it represented town vs. town competition. You can see that in Temple and Copperas Cove. They have one High School and when their teams play the town turns out for them. Killeen now has four High Schools and it seems that there is an extreme lethargy within the fan base as a result. Fans don't, I believe, identify with the school nearly as much as they do with their town and when their High School does not represent their town they could not care less.

Well it has a lot to do with that and the transient population we have here, there is no way Killeen could only have one school or better there's no way it would ever happen again. Allen has a school of i believe 8000 plus, and judson has a gigantic school as well. Killeen would be the favorites every year if that happened but since it won't its not even worth talking about.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I beleive all the coaches in this area do a super job of molding young men. That is what the educational experience should be about. Winning and losing centers around talent and coaching does play a major part of how much happens on either side of that coin. There are some coaches that you just know their team (regardless of talent) will either be a winner or loser on the scoreboard but I encourage everyone to realize this is high school and the most important ingredient is athletics is it is a tool for the overall educational process. Just my opinion.

Jimbob if that's all that it is about then he should be a teacher or guidance counselor he will reach so many more kids. Why doesn't ellison have any division one kids? Did they even sign a kid from last year's class? I did not think so but maybe I am wrong, they are picked to go last or second to last in most publications. They have the second best feeder school in the district behind heights, a lot of the games weren't even competitive.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I go to every home game the Eagles play, and can tell you that fan apathy is not a problem. The Eagles have a very active fan base. The faculty and students give a lot of heartfelt support for their team. It never helps when the team is not performing. There are a lot of dissappointed people, not just the young men competing. We are all hoping for something a little better this year. Blaming the talent for the outcome is not the answer. At least not the total answer. I realize the coaching staff wants to concentrate on this year and put last year behind them, but to totally ignore it is unrealistic. When things aren't going well for me the first place I start looking is at myself. Old chinese proverb...A poor craftsman blames his tools.

The talent level at Ellison is enough to compete, they were outscored 396-71, 50 points against two four AAAA schools, temple, and shoemaker. Shutout out 3 times, beaten by more then seven points ten times, house ruled seven times (that is madden lingo, up by 5 scores or more touchdowns with a score, or 21-zip).

C'mon people that is just plain bad.

sojourner truth
August 8th, 2012, 1:17 PM
Again, I emphasize the word "defense". While offensive talent was fair, the defensive talent wasn't. It reminded me of Baylors wins with RGIII...Sure they won a bunch of games, but look at the scores. They had the ability to score enormous numbers of points, as well as give up enormous numbers of points. That's fine as long as you score more than you give up. That ain't happening for the poor Eagles. Maybe this year. We can only hope, but guessing doesn't get the job done. I'll wait and see what the coaches come up with this year. If it's still the same stuff, I sure am going to hate it.

CenTexDave
August 8th, 2012, 1:24 PM
"judson has a gigantic school as well".
Converse has a new high school - think it's in class 3-A. Judson's powerhouse program has been broken up. :))

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 4:56 PM
Again, I emphasize the word "defense". While offensive talent was fair, the defensive talent wasn't. It reminded me of Baylors wins with RGIII...Sure they won a bunch of games, but look at the scores. They had the ability to score enormous numbers of points, as well as give up enormous numbers of points. That's fine as long as you score more than you give up. That ain't happening for the poor Eagles. Maybe this year. We can only hope, but guessing doesn't get the job done. I'll wait and see what the coaches come up with this year. If it's still the same stuff, I sure am going to hate it.

I'm confused, their average game score was 40-7. Offense and defense stunk.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 4:57 PM
"judson has a gigantic school as well".
Converse has a new high school - think it's in class 3-A. Judson's powerhouse program has been broken up. :))

No, converse Wagner is 5a. Judson still had a lot of kids too.

DiamondKing
August 8th, 2012, 9:27 PM
You will get a good sense the next 2 years just how bad KISD football is. Even if one of the 4 manages to make the playoffs wait till the bi-district round. It will be ugly.

onetime
August 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Not one single school in this district will make it out of the first round.

xzochye
August 8th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Well it has a lot to do with that and the transient population we have here, there is no way Killeen could only have one school or better there's no way it would ever happen again. Allen has a school of i believe 8000 plus, and judson has a gigantic school as well. Killeen would be the favorites every year if that happened but since it won't its not even worth talking about.

Allen High School had a population of 3996 this year. :-)

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2012, 5:54 AM
No, converse Wagner is 5a. Judson still had a lot of kids too.

Wow. Judson must have been huge before the second high school was built.

pablo.lives
August 9th, 2012, 8:58 PM
What happened to the Ellison Eagles? I mean honestly they use to be good, lets take a look at their run.

What will year five bring for the second largest if not largest schools in KISD, rich with talent

onetime, you consistently have hit the nail on the head when it comes to EHS football....
Just ask someone associated with EHS how many assistant coaches have left over the last two years. I have heard that most (if not all) have taken demotions at their new schools to leave the trainwreck that is Ellison football. (ie former EHS defensive coordinator coaching linebackers down 190 for a quickly improving Temple squad, left Ellison spring 2011)

It is so sad for the kids. Winning isn't everything but if you cannot build relationships with kids to teach life's lessons while losing (like Coach Gray at Shoe), then it is time for a change. I don't see Ellison winning more than one game this year. It is really too bad...

onetime
August 9th, 2012, 9:05 PM
onetime, you consistently have hit the nail on the head when it comes to EHS football....
Just ask someone associated with EHS how many assistant coaches have left over the last two years. I have heard that most (if not all) have taken demotions at their new schools to leave the trainwreck that is Ellison football. (ie former EHS defensive coordinator coaching linebackers down 190 for a quickly improving Temple squad, left Ellison spring 2011)

It is so sad for the kids. Winning isn't everything but if you cannot build relationships with kids to teach life's lessons while losing (like Coach Gray at Shoe), then it is time for a change. I don't see Ellison winning more than one game this year. It is really too bad...

I have to look at their schedule before I make a prediction but, I think they won't win a game in district, they will play shoemaker close because its shoemaker 80% of their starters will have either moved, quit, or committed some other type of criminal activity that has gotten them into some trouble. Killeen will be close because it is a rivalry game, everyone else will punch them in the face.

sojourner truth
August 9th, 2012, 9:29 PM
I hope they come out and surprise us all, but they need some defense to do it. Maybe it's a good thing they lost some coaches. Maybe some talent will show up. As the man said, "it Kain't git no worse"...

pablo.lives
August 9th, 2012, 9:35 PM
From what I understand it isn't the worst coaches that are leaving. Take a look at the coordinators. Where did they come from? OC from Shoemaker in the middle of their losing streak and the DC from Temple when they were bad. Temple could score a ton of points with Seastrunk but couldn't stop a thing. Not exactly the model for building a winning program.