PDA

View Full Version : Sod?

liessemsed
July 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know of a place where I can buy sod? We decided not to pay the insane amount our homebuilders were telling us it would cost to sod our backyard, so I decided I'm going to sod it myself. It's got to be cheaper than them doing it, or at least I hope so...

mac
July 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
we get ours from that place way out on stan schleuter, wish i could remember their name right now but it escapes me at the moment. they're same boys that used to run the place, might've been called green thumb down here on the killeen/harker heights city line.....ctx west....it's not cheap but its real good st. augustine....but you might wanna wait till the highs drop down to 80.....mac

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy sod? We decided not to pay the insane amount our homebuilders were telling us it would cost to sod our backyard, so I decided I'm going to sod it myself. It's got to be cheaper than them doing it, or at least I hope so...

sojourner truth
July 21st, 2012, 1:21 PM
Our neighbors bought theirs by the pallet full from The guys with green shoes. Don't know the price, but it is always cheaper than buying it a few pieces at a time, that's for sure. I think they are on Stan Schleuter, and I think they also have a place over here in Heights on 2410.

liessemsed
July 21st, 2012, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the info boys! We are going to try and wait to sod until October, but having just a backyard of dirt for 2 months is going to be a challenge. I tried to convince my husband that the best way to avoid a backyard full of grass was to install an in-ground pool, but he wasn't into that idea. :)

cnjbond
July 21st, 2012, 5:07 PM
You can start prepping the soil now so that when you lay the grass down you'll already have a step knocked out plus you can take care of the weeds too!

siamcat
July 21st, 2012, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the info boys! We are going to try and wait to sod until October, but having just a backyard of dirt for 2 months is going to be a challenge. I tried to convince my husband that the best way to avoid a backyard full of grass was to install an in-ground pool, but he wasn't into that idea. :)

I just hope your backyard doesn't have slope to it or in heavy rains you will lose your dirt.
Our frontyard slopes down and we put grass seed down when we bought the house ( couldn't afford sod) . Everytime it rained we were out there with shovels shoveling the dirt back into our yard from the sidewalk and road.
Somehow we eventually ended up with green stuff growing enough to hold it down.

Rick
July 21st, 2012, 9:04 PM
Thanks for this topic. We'll be buying a palet or two (Bermuda) for the front of the pool.

liessemsed
July 21st, 2012, 9:07 PM
There is a very, very slight slope to the yard. Our front yard is much more sloped, but that gets sodded as part of our deal. Once we move in (hopefully right before school starts or shortly thereafter) we can start prepping the soil. But since the house is still being built, I can't do much with it. I'm really hoping that the green thumb that I had growing up in Wisconsin will come back once I try to use it down here in Texas.

mac
July 21st, 2012, 9:34 PM
rick: just out of curiosity, where in town can you buy bermuda. i look for some every spring and can't find it......mac

Thanks for this topic. We'll be buying a palet or two (Bermuda) for the front of the pool.

Rick
July 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know. But there is no way I'm buying St Augustine. That'll take over our hay firld in no time. Can't have that. Plus, I hate St. Augustine.

FieryPrincess
July 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Our yard in Heights was very large (over 40 pallets worth). Since the whole truck was coming to our house, they comped the delivery charge. I went with a guy out of Belton, but I would have to say I was less than thrilled with the job. He kept miscaluclating and telling me that it would be "this much more" until I finally told him to essentially kiss my hiney and just finish with what he had.

Lots of the grass didn't take well either. If I was only buying a couple of pallets, I would pay extra and get the Zoysia. It is much more drought resistant.

mac
July 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
yeow, zoysia and st. augustine are both better in bell county than bermuda for lawn purposes.......i would love to get some zoysia but don't think there's anyone in the county that has it. oma's told me once, maybe 5 years ago, that they could special order it for me but would have to take a minimum of 6 pallets......mac

Our yard in Heights was very large (over 40 pallets worth). Since the whole truck was coming to our house, they comped the delivery charge. I went with a guy out of Belton, but I would have to say I was less than thrilled with the job. He kept miscaluclating and telling me that it would be "this much more" until I finally told him to essentially kiss my hiney and just finish with what he had.

Lots of the grass didn't take well either. If I was only buying a couple of pallets, I would pay extra and get the Zoysia. It is much more drought resistant.

kisdparent
July 22nd, 2012, 9:06 PM
depends on what the situations is for the type of grass. If you do no0t have any shade, bermuda does better and will hold up to dogs better. St Augustine does better in shade.

siamcat
July 22nd, 2012, 9:22 PM
Well neither does very well in my no mans land...lol.

There is a spot in our yard shaded by our tree that will only grow weeds, but at least they're green weeds:).

Night Owl
July 23rd, 2012, 7:34 AM
Zoysia can be purchased at Bell County Sod. It is about 5 miles east of Killeen on 190. North side of the highway.

joyohjoy
July 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
You can go to Lowe's and they will order a pallet of Bermuda for you. That is what we did. It was $99 at the time.

xzochye
July 23rd, 2012, 3:09 PM
I will take 1 empty pallet off of your hands!

xzochye
July 23rd, 2012, 3:21 PM
Hey don't laugh! I have a project I want to do with one! :)

Rick
August 4th, 2012, 1:03 PM
rick: just out of curiosity, where in town can you buy bermuda. i look for some every spring and can't find it......mac

http://www.hiddenfallsnursery.com/

That's the place on Stan Schleuter. Order it by Wednesday, they cut it on Thursday and it is in Killeen on Friday. We just finished laying three pallets of it around the pool. One last weekend, two this weekend.

Price was a little high, $139 out the door, but it is sod and it isn't nasty St. Augustine! lol

sojourner truth
August 4th, 2012, 5:15 PM
Or as the Brits say..."Sod it all."

mac
August 4th, 2012, 9:19 PM
thanx, rick......mac

http://www.hiddenfallsnursery.com/

That's the place on Stan Schleuter. Order it by Wednesday, they cut it on Thursday and it is in Killeen on Friday. We just finished laying three pallets of it around the pool. One last weekend, two this weekend.

Price was a little high, $139 out the door, but it is sod and it isn't nasty St. Augustine! lol