PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn ceilings...how I hate them!

engteach64
June 27th, 2012, 10:40 AM
We are in the process of scraping the popcorn ceilings from the spare bedroom. We are getting ready to pain for the new grandbaby coming soon. I was told that if I use KILZ (sp) that any blemishes will not absorb the paint. Is this correct? We have a few spots where we went down to the sheet rock. We are dry scraping so there is still texture on the ceiling. We will be painting the ceiling when finished.

I have to admit this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. One room at a time and soon the popcorn will be gone, gone, GONE! Who ever came up with that idea?

FYI, when I say "we" are scraping the ceilings, I really mean I did the first pass, and my son is finishing it. :) ...and when I say I did the first pass, I mean I scraped one small spot to see how it would work. :)

xzochye
June 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I used to love jumping on my bed when I was little, hitting the ceiling and knocking that stuff off. Made a big mess though....lol

Night Owl
June 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Easy way to remove popcorn is to use a spray bottle with water and dampen the area before scrapping. Comes of much easier and little dust.

Night Owl
June 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
We are in the process of scraping the popcorn ceilings from the spare bedroom. We are getting ready to pain for the new grandbaby coming soon. I was told that if I use KILZ (sp) that any blemishes will not absorb the paint. Is this correct? We have a few spots where we went down to the sheet rock. We are dry scraping so there is still texture on the ceiling. We will be painting the ceiling when finished.

I have to admit this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. One room at a time and soon the popcorn will be gone, gone, GONE! Who ever came up with that idea?

FYI, when I say "we" are scraping the ceilings, I really mean I did the first pass, and my son is finishing it. :) ...and when I say I did the first pass, I mean I scraped one small spot to see how it would work. :)

KILZ will not cover blemishes. KILZ will cover a spot that may bleed through the paint. It seals the area but accepts paint.

Dry scrapping is not a good idea. You are leaving a skim of texture on the ceiling and in time the paint will peel. Scarp to the paper on the dry wall. If you go deeper you will need to skim that area will drywall compound. Then sand the spot smooth and it is ready to paint. Not a difficult job but messy.

onetime
June 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
KILZ will not cover blemishes. KILZ will cover a spot that may bleed through the paint. It seals the area but accepts paint.

Dry scrapping is not a good idea. You are leaving a skim of texture on the ceiling and in time the paint will peel. Scarp to the paper on the dry wall. If you go deeper you will need to skim that area will drywall compound. Then sand the spot smooth and it is ready to paint. Not a difficult job but messy.

Agreed, the best remedy to remove the texture is to use the damp technique, are you going to resurface it? Usually your walls will have an orange peel or knock down technique, it makes a huge difference when the walls and ceiling texture don't match unless you have vaulted ceilings then it doesn't matter as much.

3feathers
June 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
It may be too late,.......for any suggestions?...It is easy to wet the popcorn and remove it , using a spray bottle or Garden Sprayer. The Kilz is just a primer...almost any Latex primer will work. You may use a KILZ Stain Killer if you have water or crayon or smoke stains?......I would suggest you fill any gouges, dings and dents will spackle...light sand and spot prime the filled area.....If you use the WET process, you may use a wide 6 or 8 inch Mud Knife to scrape.

CenTexDave
June 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I don't know what idiot invented that stuff, but he should have been shot!! :))

engteach64
June 27th, 2012, 9:07 PM
Well, my son totally scraped the ceiling. It looks great. It looks textured. The paint I have has primer in it, it is Valspar. So from what I understand, we should sand the ceiling next? There are no blemishes or flaws in the ceiling.

Dave, I agree. Popcorn ceilings were the worst invention ever.

onetime
June 27th, 2012, 9:22 PM
Well, my son totally scraped the ceiling. It looks great. It looks textured. The paint I have has primer in it, it is Valspar. So from what I understand, we should sand the ceiling next? There are no blemishes or flaws in the ceiling.

Yeah you'll want to sand it not just to remove blemishes but to match the existing texture of the walls. It's better to prime it first and then paint it. The half paint half primers do not give you the best primer or paint. Lowes will take back anything if you got it there.

siamcat
June 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I don't know what idiot invented that stuff, but he should have been shot!! :))

Especially in bathrooms that kids use, half the stuff ends up in the tub after they shower.
We scraped ours of one bathroom and the people redoing it fixed whatever we messed up.

Unfortunately it's still in the rest of the house, it's a work in progress.

Night Owl
June 28th, 2012, 7:18 AM

Please define the texture look. If it was scrapped it should be smooh except where it was taped. You should see the paper on the dry wall. If you left a skim of texture on the ceiling the paint will attach to that film and will eventually peel.

engteach64
June 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
It is actually the sheet rock paper I'm looking at. The texture is just the marks left from my son scraping. I will be sure to sand, then prime, then I'll go ahead and use the pain with the primer in it too. It can't hurt. Thanks for all of the advice. I have another project coming up that I'm going to need massive discussion on too. More to come. I will let you all know how my ceiling turns out. :) Thanks again.

Night Owl
June 28th, 2012, 4:46 PM
We are all nice folks here espically when you agree with us!!!!:))

Night Owl
June 28th, 2012, 4:47 PM
The easy way to sand is to get a sanding pole where you attach the sandpaper to the end and can sand while standing on the floor. Sanding ceiling is a pain in the ________________________!

xzochye
June 28th, 2012, 7:15 PM
The easy way to sand is to get a sanding pole where you attach the sandpaper to the end and can sand while standing on the floor. Sanding ceiling is a pain in the ________________________!

Would an electric sander not work?

engteach64
June 28th, 2012, 8:37 PM
We went and bought the sander thing that goes on the handle, sandpaper, and primer. We are set. Tomorrow we get the room prepped for painting on Saturday. My son will sand the ceiling, and scrape and sand the closet ceiling after I empty the closet. Deep cleaning of dust, then begin taping. Whew! My goal is to have the room complete by Sunday...I know, pipe dream, but at least the ceiling finished. :) I have 11 days before second session of summer school. I will be finished before it is over.

I'm going to attach a picture of the ceiling if I can...2688 Hey! I did it!

Night Owl
June 29th, 2012, 7:20 AM
Would an electric sander not work?

An electric sander will work but it is hard to control when you are standing on a ladder and the excess damage done will have to be repaired. A light sanding by hand is all that is required.

Night Owl
June 29th, 2012, 7:21 AM
We went and bought the sander thing that goes on the handle, sandpaper, and primer. We are set. Tomorrow we get the room prepped for painting on Saturday. My son will sand the ceiling, and scrape and sand the closet ceiling after I empty the closet. Deep cleaning of dust, then begin taping. Whew! My goal is to have the room complete by Sunday...I know, pipe dream, but at least the ceiling finished. :) I have 11 days before second session of summer school. I will be finished before it is over.

I'm going to attach a picture of the ceiling if I can...2688 Hey! I did it!

It is difficult to tell in the picture. But there isn't much contrast between the walls and ceiling.

engteach64
June 29th, 2012, 5:22 PM
There will be once we paint! This entire house is one boring color. I will post a picture of the room when it is finished so you can all see that I actually take your advice. :)

engteach64
July 2nd, 2012, 3:22 PM
2701Okay, here are the pictures. Three amatuers did this, and we are happy with it. It isn't perfection, but that's good enough; we love the room.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Night Owl
July 2nd, 2012, 5:07 PM
Looks great. You did a good job and as long as you are happy then it doesn't matter wht others think. I was expecting HOT PINK!!!!!:))

engteach64
July 2nd, 2012, 9:41 PM
Here is a tip on painting from me...don't spend the time painting a wall and then let your dog in the room...she had an itch and started scratching...up against the wall...we had to repaint the spot, and wash the dog. Also, tiny little feet prints on the wood floor are no fun to clean up. :)

engteach64
July 3rd, 2012, 8:14 AM
Hot Pink! I'd have to kill myself after. Does anyone really like hot pink? :)

Night Owl
July 3rd, 2012, 8:26 AM
Women or so I have been told!!!!!:))

Ludwig
July 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I wore a plum-colored shirt yesterday and got a lot of complements from women for being so courageous as to wear it. Plum is hot-pink with just a touch of blue.

Night Owl
July 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Where they saying brae or dumb and you just misunderstood?:))

engteach64
July 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM
This woman does not like hot pink!

sojourner truth
July 4th, 2012, 6:12 PM
Only if it is an Elvis owned Cadillac.. The paint job looks great Eng teach...Bet you're ready for a rest...Oh, wait, time for cirriculum checks and lesson plans for next year and to wait on making seating charts... Nah...Enjoy the rest of the week. Cheryl says HI!!!

engteach64
July 4th, 2012, 6:54 PM
Sojourner truth~ Tell her I said hi back. I start 10 days of summer school again Monday, but it is mostly research and novel, so I will actually have more down time while they work on essays. I haven't even really started working on next years plans yet. I know I should, but I will wait. :) Summer school, then a trip to New York with my sister, then a mini trip with my kids, then relaxation. :)

kantwin
July 4th, 2012, 7:59 PM
I wore a plum-colored shirt yesterday and got a lot of complements from women for being so courageous as to wear it. Plum is hot-pink with just a touch of blue.

90% of women don't like men who wear pink shirts.
Conversely, 90% of men who wear pink shirts don't like women.
Or so I've been told. :)

Imagine
July 13th, 2012, 4:28 PM
Hot Pink! I'd have to kill myself after. Does anyone really like hot pink? :)

Seriously? You never saw the 1970's pic of me in my hot pink hot pants?

CenTexDave
July 13th, 2012, 5:47 PM
Post it please. :)