PDA

View Full Version : Plumber?

Scarlett
June 11th, 2012, 9:58 PM
I guess I shouldn't keep putting this off...I need a good plumber that won't break me.

Every time the upstairs toilet is flushed, there is a very loud howling noise in the wall. Can almost feel the pipes between the upstairs toilet and the downstairs one below it shaking. It's getting much louder. It still works, it isn't clogged up, but I'm starting to think something very bad is gonna happen.

Suggestions on who to call and a rough IDEA of how much it might cost?

CenTexDave
June 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
They are vibrating. Probably have air in them.
Have no idea what would be involved. Sorry.
Now you starting to get an idea why people on here have bashed the homebuilders? Yours is a fairly new house. This shouldn't happen.

babyblue
June 12th, 2012, 6:35 AM
Scarlett I sent you a PM.

sojourner truth
June 12th, 2012, 8:33 AM
I always use Al's or Pro Tech. Al's is cheaper, and does good work ( plus Al is insane), Pro Tech handles the tough cases and always gets the results you want, but are a bit more expensive.

Chief
June 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I agree, Pro-Tech 680-TECH.

The Torii Fox
June 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I didn't have a wall-shaking banshee groan, but my toilet was making a vibrating, whining noise when we flushed a couple years ago. I am a DIYer so I wanted to fix it myself. I know the toilet was working but it was filling slowly. I disconnected the supply line from the bottom of the toilet so I could check out the toilet a little better and saw some trash in the top of the supply line. It looked like a small piece of teflon tape or something from the connection had calcified and broken off, and got wedged in there enough to make the sound when water was flowing over it, but not enough to clog it. That was a five minute fix, plus cleaning up a little bit of water.

I also had the pipes in the wall vibrate when I used to fill the tub once, come to find out my wife had left the outdoor spigot on for a week or so (we had a water hose with nozzle on it so I didn't notice the little bit of water running at the time). After I cussed a little and went outside to turn off the spigot, the vibrating went away.

Scarlett
June 12th, 2012, 4:47 PM
Scarlett I sent you a PM.

Perfect! Hope to get this fixed Saturday now. Thank you!

engteach64
June 13th, 2012, 9:00 PM
I was watching a show on HGTV once, and he said pipes can rattle if there isn't a little block of wood between them to keep them still, but I guess if this has just started that may not be it.

Scarlett, PM me the name of the person you end up going with and his prices. I have to use certain people with my home warranty, but like to keep a list. Oh, and you should get a home warranty. I use Old Republic, and the it would only cost you the 60.00 fee. I pay like 586.00 a year for my homeowners, and that is 150.00 more than you would pay because the 150 is for the pool.

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2012, 8:52 PM
So Scarlett, what was the verdict??

Scarlett
June 17th, 2012, 8:57 PM
Easy fix. Had a plumber come show me what I need to do to fix it myself. I just need to go get the part and do it.
If I do it wrong...I'll be letting ya know. LOL

HistoryTeacher
June 20th, 2012, 9:12 PM
If it doesn't go as planned, you could try Ernie's Plumbing. It's online, and has several plumbers all over the place, including here. I did a long web search before we used them, and a really nice guy came out and got ankle-deep in mud and worked his tail off for hours. Almost $300, but estimate was $500. Pipe was broken on our side of the meter.