PDA

View Full Version : Bird B Gone Bird Deterrents

Rick
June 10th, 2012, 6:11 AM
I installed these last week and they seem to be working. They do not hurt the birds, so don't be hating on me for not wanting mud nests on my house...lol

http://birdbgone.com/

CenTexDave
June 10th, 2012, 7:19 AM
How do they work??
Those birds that make those "mud nests" are barn swallows and are, perhaps, the most beneficial bird of all. They eat their weight in flying insects like flies and mosquitoes each day. They also mate for life and will return to the same nest next year.
But don't blame you. You'd have a mess of bird poop!! lol

cnjbond
June 10th, 2012, 1:22 PM
How do they work??
Those birds that make those "mud nests" are barn swallows and are, perhaps, the most beneficial bird of all. They eat their weight in flying insects like flies and mosquitoes each day. They also mate for life and will return to the same nest next year.
But don't blame you. You'd have a mess of bird poop!! lol

Ain't THAT the truth...we have a pair on our back porch that have been there for about 3yrs running now!

Rick
June 10th, 2012, 3:12 PM
They come in 2 foot sections and can be cut to size. You can nail, screw, or glue them to the surface. I glued them.

Obviously, the birds can't nest on them.

As for alternate nesting places, we have barns that they use too.

Disclaimer: No birds were harmed in the posting of this message! :))

siamcat
June 10th, 2012, 8:08 PM
Ain't THAT the truth...we have a pair on our back porch that have been there for about 3yrs running now!

We have them just outside our front door. Going on 10 years now.

Now if somebody can find a way to keep the crows (or whatever the black birds are) from using our pool as a toilet that would be great. It has been bad this year. We attached some toy windmills around it hoping it would scare them off, but it hasn't helped a lot.

sojourner truth
June 10th, 2012, 8:46 PM
What you have sounds like Grackles. Very agressive, will steal you dogs food right out of the bowl, and have the most active bowels in the known universe. My neighbor got one of thos fake owls that turns its head, and that keeps them off his patio. Not sure if they would work as good around a pool. For some reson, other birds don't like owls...(no offense NO). Grackles love freshly washed and waxed cars.

siamcat
June 10th, 2012, 8:49 PM
What you have sounds like Grackles. Very agressive, will steal you dogs food right out of the bowl, and have the most active bowels in the known universe. My neighbor got one of thos fake owls that turns its head, and that keeps them off his patio. Not sure if they would work as good around a pool. For some reson, other birds don't like owls...(no offense NO). Grackles love freshly washed and waxed cars.

Sounds right. Our dog doesn't have food outside but the neighbors dog behind us has his outside. Sometimes they drop that in the pool too.
Not sure how to install the owl but I'm sure hubby will figure it out. Can you find them at Lowes or Home Depot?

Night Owl
June 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Normally they are found in trees.:))

sojourner truth
June 11th, 2012, 2:21 PM
Har har...I think you can get them at Lowes or Home depot. If not, one of the pet stores probably has them. Right next to those useless things that are supposed to stop your neighbors dogs from barking...Don't waste your money on one of those. The owls you get at the stores aren't quite as sassy as the one around here.:) Although, he would probably scare off birds...Dogs...Women and kids etc....

Night Owl
June 11th, 2012, 2:22 PM
The owl has been know to do exactly that.:))

sojourner truth
June 11th, 2012, 3:29 PM
That's because you're supposed to put the potato in the FRONT of the speedo, not the back.

Ludwig
June 11th, 2012, 5:25 PM
Potato? They told me zucchini!

sojourner truth
June 11th, 2012, 5:40 PM
Some folks take their imaginations just a bit too far...But, this is Texas so go for it. Like the Texan that was arrested for dangling his dingaling in the public pool....From the high dive.