PDA

View Full Version : Attachment Parenting: Got Milk?

corgifan
May 11th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Sleeping with your children. Breast feeding them into and past their toddler years. I wouldn't do it, and I have difficulty not judging those that do.
Time Magazine has an article about it, as well as one hell of a cover photo: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/time-cover-milks-shocking-image-photo/2012/05/10/gIQAOd8qFU_blog.html?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

WARNING: Cover picture consists of mom-with-attitude clutching her 3-4ish year old son's face to her breast as he suckles away, both looking at the camera.

CenTexDave
May 11th, 2012, 6:47 AM
Time Magazine is a piece of garbage. I quit reading it over 15 years ago. Nothing but a liberal rag.

xzochye
May 11th, 2012, 9:09 AM
I have nothing against breastfeeding but that picture creeps me out! I have always said once they have teeth that's it! That's just my opinion though. However, when they are old enough to ask you for it then it's time to stop. Creepy creepy creepy!

CenTexDave
May 11th, 2012, 2:48 PM
What if I take my dentures out? :)

sojourner truth
May 11th, 2012, 4:26 PM
You are a sick man Dave. But I must admit that breast feeding has 3 advantages...It is healthy, bonds mother to child, and comes in a darn good looking container.

Brian McCall
May 11th, 2012, 4:28 PM
I have nothing against breastfeeding but that picture creeps me out! I have always said once they have teeth that's it! That's just my opinion though. However, when they are old enough to ask you for it then it's time to stop. Creepy creepy creepy!

You don't want to become a teething ring?

liessemsed
May 15th, 2012, 7:54 PM
I have a few friends who are still nursing their 3-4-5 year olds. I don't have an issue with it as long as I don't have to see it. I'm totally cool with moms whipping it out for their infant, but it creeps me out to see a child old enough to ask for it nurse in public. Thankfully, my friends who still nurse their preschoolers do it in private, or at least try to make it private. Interestingly enough, these attachment parents who want to be "accepted" for their parenting styles are usually the quickest to judge when parents (mothers especially) either choose or have to use formula to feed their infants/children.

Brian McCall
May 16th, 2012, 6:44 AM
I have a few friends who are still nursing their 3-4-5 year olds. I don't have an issue with it as long as I don't have to see it. I'm totally cool with moms whipping it out for their infant, but it creeps me out to see a child old enough to ask for it nurse in public. Thankfully, my friends who still nurse their preschoolers do it in private, or at least try to make it private. Interestingly enough, these attachment parents who want to be "accepted" for their parenting styles are usually the quickest to judge when parents (mothers especially) either choose or have to use formula to feed their infants/children.

Well, formula IS evil. I'd rather see a nursing 5 year old.

mac
May 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
"formula is evil"? how can that be? think of all the kids in asia and africa who's lives have been saved by formula.....mac

Well, formula IS evil. I'd rather see a nursing 5 year old.

Brian McCall
May 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
"formula is evil"? how can that be? think of all the kids in asia and africa who's lives have been saved by formula.....mac

Well, it's not *that* evil.

What it DID do was allow the female breasts to be reduced to nothing more than sex objects. I don't think there's anything more beautiful than a nursing baby at her mother's breast. But a lot of women, seeing formula as an alternative, have come to think of them as nothing more than man-magnets.

Scarlett
May 16th, 2012, 1:04 PM
Because BEFORE the invention of formula, no man was the least attracted to boobs....:rolleyes

Ludwig
May 16th, 2012, 1:14 PM

Truth be told, formula has actually resulted in higher infant mortality. The impoverished parents try to make the formula stretch by watering it down, thus inadvertently starving their child. Don't believe it? Do the research... the data is out there.

mac
May 16th, 2012, 1:30 PM
read the book of solomon..........and that was a long time before formula was developed.......mac

Because BEFORE the invention of formula, no man was the least attracted to boobs....:rolleyes

Ludwig
May 16th, 2012, 1:32 PM
Homo Sapiens is driven by the reproductive process. They tend to want to do what would be best for their offspring. The male tends to be attracted to females who can make babies and provide for the babies' physical needs. A certain ratio between hips and waist has been shown to be more appealing to the male and appears to be a very basic indicator of fertility. Breast size assures the male that his children will be properly nourished. The female tends to seek a male that can provide for her offspring. If she perceives that the male can provide a better life and a better chance of survival, she tends to be attracted to him.

Ludwig
May 16th, 2012, 1:35 PM
read the book of solomon..........and that was a long time before formula was developed.......mac

Duh, ain't no sech book in my Bible (any of the four translations). You must mean the Song of Solomon, or Solomon's Canticle of Canticles, no?

siamcat
May 16th, 2012, 7:34 PM
Well, it's not *that* evil.

What it DID do was allow the female breasts to be reduced to nothing more than sex objects. I don't think there's anything more beautiful than a nursing baby at her mother's breast. But a lot of women, seeing formula as an alternative, have come to think of them as nothing more than man-magnets.

Or they, for whatever medical reason, be unable to breastfeed. I don't think you can understand how bad it makes women feel if they want to but can't and everywhere they go they're told how bad it is for their kids not to breastfeed them.

siamcat
May 16th, 2012, 7:35 PM
Truth be told, formula has actually resulted in higher infant mortality. The impoverished parents try to make the formula stretch by watering it down, thus inadvertently starving their child. Don't believe it? Do the research... the data is out there.

Ludiwig see my answer to Brian.

Brian McCall
May 16th, 2012, 8:00 PM

I said "nothing more". They have always served a dual role: a utilitarian one of feeding babies, and a signalling role letting males know that the female was capable of feeding babies, which manifested itself in the form of attraction. The signaling role was subordinate to the utilitarian one, because without the function, there would be no selective advantage for the attraction. But when formula came along, it freed them from their utilitarian role, and so they devolved into mere objects.

The only reason I say this is because both my ex-wife and another girl I dated were firmly against the idea of breastfeeding, thinking it was "icky" and didn't want their boobs to become less attractive. Their reasoning was that if formula is around, why do it?

Brian McCall
May 16th, 2012, 8:03 PM
Or they, for whatever medical reason, be unable to breastfeed. I don't think you can understand how bad it makes women feel if they want to but can't and everywhere they go they're told how bad it is for their kids not to breastfeed them.

Siamcat, I can understand how that would make those who want to but can't, feel bad. But those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about women who are perfectly capable of doing so, but choose not to for reasons of vanity.

Ludwig
May 16th, 2012, 8:04 PM
Ludiwig see my answer to Brian.

I saw that. It has nothing to do with what I posted. Nestle & Co. as well as other producers of infant formula have been pushing formula to the third world purely on a profit motive. The women there, for the most part, are well able to nurse their babies but when they are coerced into using formula, given to them free for the first few weeks after birth (to allow their breasts to dry up). When they then become formula dependent, they cannot afford it and cut it with water... thus starving their babies. Again, do the research... the data is out there.

Ludwig
May 16th, 2012, 8:06 PM

I have seen many a specimen whose boobs could not overcome the deficit of their face... only a paper bag could help... some were two-baggers. Even worse were those with a personality of a shrew.

liessemsed
May 16th, 2012, 8:46 PM
Sadly, I couldn't nurse, and my boobs STILL were less attractive. Bummer. :)

skindog
May 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Just so y'all are aware, I'm DEFINITELY a breastbuttlegs-man!!

Sorry, couldn't resist......

corgifan
May 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Just so y'all are aware, I'm DEFINITELY a breastbuttlegs-man!!
What do you have against heads, arms, torsos (sans boobies), and feet?

Night Owl
May 20th, 2012, 1:30 PM
..........................:doh.................... .............:doh................................. ....:doh.....................................:doh. ........................................

FieryPrincess
May 21st, 2012, 9:13 PM
Their reasoning was that if formula is around, why do it?

13 years ago, there were over 100 components in breast milk that they had not yet even indentified!

I always found breastfeeding to be SO much easier and I was much better rested that way! No heating bottles, no worrying about measuring... just insert nipple and snooze. Better for EVERYONE~!