PDA

View Full Version : Cancer and the heart

JoAnn Purser
April 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Why do you suppose most organs of the body can get cancer except the heart? We had visited a friend in the hospital today and it occurred to us the the heart doesn't get cancer.

cityboy
April 15th, 2012, 8:09 AM
The heart is not an organ; it's a muscle. Something about that is the difference? :)

CenTexDave
April 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Never heard of a broken liver, a broken kidney.
Only the heart breaks, and far too often.

JoAnn Purser
April 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
So if you are an organ donor the heart is not included?

cityboy
April 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
So if you are an organ donor the heart is not included? Good question! I wonder if the heart is a separate issue? Somebody, somebody ...

mac
April 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM
the heart is as much an organ as your largest organ............mac

Good question! I wonder if the heart is a separate issue? Somebody, somebody ...

cityboy
April 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM
OK, apparently the heart is considered an organ containing muscle tissue. Here's an explanation of why heart cancer is very rare ...

"Any cell in the body has the potential to become malignant, thus cancer can, in fact, affect the heart. Cancer arises from mutations in the DNA of a cell. Usually a cancerous cell undergoes several mutations before it becomes a deadly, invasive cancer. Most of these mutations occur when the cell is dividing and replicating its DNA. The only way for a cell to propagate a mutation is to divide and pass those mutations on to its daughter cells. With regard to the heart cells, however, they just go right on pumping and doing their job and don�t replicate to make new heart cells unless there has been some injury. With so little cell division going on in the heart there is very little chance for mutations to occur ..."

JoAnn Purser
April 15th, 2012, 7:01 PM
In all my experiences with illnesses among friends and family, I have never heard of someone having a cancer of any type in the heart. I was just curious. Thanks.