PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics...the miracle drug?

engteach64
April 2nd, 2012, 7:13 PM
My dog takes predinisone for audio immune disease. She has her ups and downs. I took her to the vet the other day for an impacted tooth. The vet prescribed 100mg of antibiotics for the impacted tooth. Well, my dog is acting like shes 5 years younger. She's running, jumping, and attempting to sit up and beg. What's with that? Is her renewed vigor from the antibiotics? I'm just wondering. I'm loving having my girl back, but am hoping it lasts.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
April 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
It is likely that the tooth had been causing some discomfort for some time but often our pups are so stoic that they don't tell us that they are hurting. I suppose the antibiotic is treating the infection and she feels much better. Antibiotics usually help but remember that sometimes dental issues can return upon the conclusion of the antibiotic therapy. Often I will extract the tooth after the antibiotics get the infection under control and that usually takes care of the issue for good.

I'm glad your gal is feeling better. Have some fun together.

engteach64
April 4th, 2012, 6:32 PM
Thanks Dr. B. Unfortunately they cannot pull the tooth. They said she could bleed to death due to her health issues. Bummer. Maybe I will give her antibiotics the rest of her life. :) I know! I can't. :) It has just been so long since my baby jumped and ran that I am enjoying seeing her so active.