PDA

View Full Version : Help for dementia/Alzheimers Patients

dawglover
March 23rd, 2012, 5:41 PM
Just in case I get any crap from someone else about this being voodoo medicine, let me stay up front - STUFF IT!! This is very important and it is proving to work. If you know anyone with dementia or Alzheimer’s get this information to them and their caregivers without delay. A side benefit is weight loss. Although a tablespoon of coconut oil is 120 calories (the recommended daily amount), these are good calories that kick start ones metabolism and results in net weight loss. But that is not the important part. The important part is the proven benefit virgin coconut oil is having on those stricken with dementia /Alzheimer’s.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2012/man-in-his-80s-with-severe-dementia-returning-to-old-self-after-starting-coconut-oil/

Health Impact News Editor Comments: I spoke with Joseph Jauregui about the joy he and his brothers and sisters have after seeing their father change when he started to use coconut oil in his diet. Joe reported to me that while his father still has a ways to go to be like his former self before dementia set in, that now his mother and siblings feel like they have their father back again. Here is his story, which is a chronology of observations over several weeks.

by Joseph Jauregui

My Dad was diagnosed with Severe Dementia about 7-8 years ago. I still remember the day when he forgot my name. Ever since then I’ve been praying for him to return to whom he was, but as time passed he got worse and worse. I saw a very articulate man go from creative, comical and caring to distraught, lost and childlike.

He than started having accidents to my mothers disgust (that was 8 years ago). He was having about 5-6 accidents a day and getting up at all hours of the night. He was going back in time daily, and even losing the ability to communicate and read.

A friend of mine told me about this coconut oil and its results and I practically got tears in my eyes (and I’m a dude haha). So I bought some coconut oil and gave it to my mother as she cooks all his meals.

I visit every other Saturday, so before I went I psyched myself up to accept that there would be “no difference” as my dad is in his 80′s, and I felt he was too far gone. He had been diagnosed with severe dementia 10 years earlier. Well to my surprise my mother said he had changed quite a bit, and that he wasn’t getting up as often at night. And the best part was that she wasn’t complaining about his antics nearly as much as the past years.

Two weeks later I returned and my father was far more social, and he even began to tell jokes. He still wasn’t himself, but a glimpse of his former self was there.

I missed going one week but the report from my sister was good. She called my mom on the phone and my dad answered. She was surprised that he spoke to her in a way he hadn’t spoken to her in YEARS. I’m very hopeful, and I gotta say Coconut Oil is now a part of my routine. It is great in eggs and steamed veggies (yum!).

I visited the folks this past week and was hoping for more changes, and yes there were.

First off I need to tell you all that my sister, her husband and child moved in with my folks due to the job situation. My mother doesn’t like it as the house is small, and she still gets embarrassed about my dad’s situation, but my dad who has always been an extrovert loves having more people at home. He was telling jokes and laughing, giggling…oh what a mess haha! My mother was telling me that he’s been like that for a couple of days, which is great, as he really never laughed all that much after the disease hit him.

I left there feeling very appreciative of the changes in his life. Those prayers are being answered, and I’m feeling great. The next day my brother went down to my folks house and told me that dad did something he hasn’t done in years – he combed his hair! He is doing things he had not done before. The coconut oil is working and is having great results in him.

One day I believe he will return to the person whom he was. The change in him over the 7 weeks has been far better than I would of hoped for. This diet of coconut oil in everything he eats has done wonders for him. And my mother didn’t even complain to me once this week - WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You can follow Joseph’s chronicles at alzheimersweekly.com.

See Also:

Coconut Oil and Alzheimer’s Disease: The News is Spreading

Virgin Coconut Oil:
How it has changed people’s lives and how it can change yours!

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2012, 5:57 PM
And your report came from whom - the World Coconut Association? :))

xzochye
March 23rd, 2012, 6:36 PM
And your report came from whom - the World Coconut Association? :))

Come on Dave STUFF IT! :bluerofl This coconut oil is serious stuff! I mean how dare these doctors keep this from us! It is going to be the cure all!:cowdungowl

siamcat
March 23rd, 2012, 7:54 PM
Having had both a great-grandmother and grandmother that suffered from Alzheimers/Dementia I don't know what people find so funny about dawgs post.

Maybe coconut oil does nothing, maybe it does something.
To somebody who has a loved one suffering from this disease it's a chance to maybe improve the disease without doing any harm. Doctors sure don't have any answers right now.
I've been trying to keep my brain active with crosswords and other puzzles, hoping it'll help at least delay the onset of it, since chances are good that I will develop it too.
Will it work, I don't know. Some say yes and some say no. Will it hurt, no.

MissElmo
March 23rd, 2012, 9:13 PM
There's a new Alzheimer's prescription medicine called Axona that uses the an ingredient from coconut oil called medium chain triglyceride.

Ludwig
March 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
I saw a medical doctor on television, she was a gynecologist, whose husband was suffering from Alzheimer's. She had taken him to a neurologist. One of the tests the neurologist administered was to give her husband a blank sheet of paper and a pencil and asked him to draw a simple clock face. I saw the result of that effort... a total mess. The doctor heard about coconut oil and she began to research it. She found that the oil contains ketones which are sugars which the brain cells easily take up. She also knew that when someone has Alzheimer's it as if the brain is suffering from diabetes. She decided that there was sufficient science to justify giving the oil a try with her husband. She puts a tablespoon in his breakfast hot cereal, melts a tablespoon full in the microwave and gives it to him at lunchtime, and another tablespoon at supper. At the next visit to the neurologist a few weeks later the clock face test was administered again. I saw that test result too... while not a perfect circle it was recognizable as a circle and the numbers were there in the right place and in the correct sequence.

Since seeing this on TV and sharing it with my spouse, she has been giving coconut oil to her aunt for whom we are caring because of her disability due to senile dementia. The aunt has shown remarkable improvement and the only change we have made is to add coconut oil to her diet.

I don't know if it's the oil or our faith or a combination. Regardless, we will continue the coconut oil therapy.

CenTexDave
March 24th, 2012, 2:43 AM
I hope it does work.
I'm still in the PI. Anyone want me to bring some coconuts back???:)

mac
March 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM
just out of curiosity, where in the heck can a guy buy coconut oil anyway?.....mac

Ludwig
March 24th, 2012, 8:09 PM
A member of the "medical community" has become a believer. You can view the video at:http://www.coconutketones.com/ and then judge for yourself. We started using this after seeing this video and we have had positive results. The oil is cheaper than the $600 a month being spent on pills.

siamcat
March 24th, 2012, 9:32 PM
You're welcome dawg.

I wonder if it would work as a preventative also. My mom is 63 this year so she's closer to the age my grandmother and great-grandmother ( her mother and grandmother) started showing symptoms.

dawglover
March 25th, 2012, 2:10 PM
You're welcome dawg.

I wonder if it would work as a preventative also. My mom is 63 this year so she's closer to the age my grandmother and great-grandmother ( her mother and grandmother) started showing symptoms.

It sure wouldn't hurt to try. I mean, what do you have to lose other than the $10 bucks it costs for a jar at Walmart? I know i bought some.

CenTexDave
March 25th, 2012, 9:35 PM
It sure wouldn't hurt to try. I mean, what do you have to lose other than the $10 bucks it costs for a jar at Walmart? I know i bought some.

Yeah, but look what it did to you - you grew a tail, got fur all over you, and your teeth turned to fangs and that sloppy tongue - ugh!!!!!

JoAnn Purser
March 26th, 2012, 7:14 AM
Having someone close to you become debilitated with Frontol Temporal Dementia I can say it would be worth a try.

I saw from personal experience cravings for chocolate candy that could not be satisfied, so the sugar and coconut connection may have been there but we didn't see it.

I would certainly have tried any homeopathic remedy, even if it was temporary, to have a little more "time" with my loved one.

MissElmo
March 31st, 2012, 2:13 PM
Here is a video of a doctor who treated her husband's alzheimer disease with coconut oil. You'll see in the video that the reporter uses Lou Ann's (processed) brand coconut oil, but that's actually the wrong kind of coconut oil to use. Dr Newport said in another interview that she uses an organic brand called Nutiva, also sold at walmart in the vitamin section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_3kbpH7bmQ