PDA

View Full Version : Saints’ Payton suspended for season by NFL

TheOldProgrammer
March 21st, 2012, 2:49 PM
Here's all the skinny on this...

Payton's career as a coach is over... My guess is that the Saints will fire him in the near future...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-bounties

I found this quote interesting:

Saints quarterback Drew Brees reacted quickly to the news on Twitter, writing: “I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor … I need to hear an explanation for this punishment.”

Explanation? What doesn't Brees understand? Has he been hit in the head one too many times?

Rick
March 21st, 2012, 3:49 PM
Those are some huge penalties. That's the only way to send a signal that what they did is unacceptable.

Ludwig
March 21st, 2012, 3:55 PM
Despite the Saints' most favorite status, the NFL had to hit them hard because the NFL is facing more than 40 law suites for lack of concern for player safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cityboy
March 21st, 2012, 4:52 PM
Player safety? It's a dangerous game. If you can't accept the risks, don't play it ...

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2012, 5:39 PM
These players today are whimps - "I got a bump on my head", etc. Sue the league because you get injured.
None of these pussies could have played in the 30's - 60's against the likes of Nagurski, Sam Huff, Bobby Layne, Otto Graham, Jim Parker, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, etc. Make millions, get hurt, and want to sue the league for more. Jim Brown, when he retired at age 29, was the highest paid NFL player of all time. His salary - $70,000/yr!!!!!!!!!!!

cityboy
March 21st, 2012, 6:25 PM
Amen, brother ...

Rick
March 21st, 2012, 6:42 PM
But the issue here is the fact that the league told the teams that if this was going on, that they needed to stop it. The Saints didn't, then lied about it.

Player sanctions will be coming soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see the IRS to get involved in the event these players didn't report the income. That's what got Pete Rose.

cityboy
March 21st, 2012, 6:44 PM
And this will be the part of the downfall of pro football ...

Grammar Rules
March 21st, 2012, 8:02 PM
Player safety? It's a dangerous game. If you can't accept the risks, don't play it ...

As a former insurance rep, I can tell you that in the business meaning, as well as in the real world, RISK is the chance of an occurrence happening with predictability. Of course there's a risk of a car wreck every time I get on 190, but if some bunghole is paying a driver to sideswipe my car, that's not a risk. Guys know football carries a chance of their getting hurt, but no one is supposed to be deliberately causing it. For pay. You don't put a horseshoe in a boxing glove.

CenTexDave
March 21st, 2012, 8:19 PM
Very true. But this has been going on for years. Remember Buddy Ryan when he was coach of the Eagles???
I'm glad the NFL has finally clamped down on it.