PDA

View Full Version : What happened to...

Brian McCall
March 2nd, 2012, 5:09 AM
...the feature that showed who viewed a thread? It used to appear at the bottom of a thread.

I still see who is currently viewing, and it wouldn't be hard to bang something together to keep track of that over time. But that list was a pretty handy thing.

I like to make sure that when I see a certain view count, that it's not just me hitting the refresh button.

Grammar Rules
March 2nd, 2012, 6:09 AM
...the feature that showed who viewed a thread? It used to appear at the bottom of a thread.

I still see who is currently viewing, and it wouldn't be hard to bang something together to keep track of that over time. But that list was a pretty handy thing.

I like to make sure that when I see a certain view count, that it's not just me hitting the refresh button.

My first thought is, Who cares? Of course, since Corgifan and I are lightning rods, we can be assured of great readership, evidenced by the pitchfork and scythe-wielding mob shouting and pounding the dusty road behind us.

Second thought, though, is that perhaps you missed the reason that the count won't be accurate. A few months ago, we learned that some Forum members were being admonished at work because someone who had plenty of time was able to spend it monitoring theirs. People at work do get the occasional break, lunch, or even a sick day. But the perception was that they were goofing off if they were reading or posting. So Rick took away the time stamp and offered a Cloak of Invisibility. I wear mine, so you won't see me reading your threads. You might, however, occasionally see steam rising from a spot east of IH 35.

Brian McCall
March 2nd, 2012, 7:23 AM
Interesting. Yes, I did miss that. Though I wonder what would possess someone to tell their boss what their online name is. Well, those who use anonymous handles anyway.

And no scythe here. I just stand back and use my handy Welsh longbow, or sometimes my trebuchet for area effect.

Scarlett
March 2nd, 2012, 8:20 AM
It isn't hard, if you KNOW someone, to figure out who is who on here. One need not TELL their boss for their boss to find out.

Mestral
March 2nd, 2012, 6:24 PM
I agree there was too much information in the old format. Not only did it tell who had read the thread, but the time of their last reading.

I would love to see that come back, but only saying who had read it, or who had read it that day. Even knowing how many "hits" for the current day would be great, as that would at least tell some of us if we are talking to the wall.

BTW, I run cloaked, just out of habit from the old days. (actually, I often ran through a proxy server to mask my IP address too) I wonder how many do that. I don't suppose I need to do that here.

Hmmm, east of I35. We have an easterner among us. Explains a lot. [/kidding]

Rick
March 2nd, 2012, 7:16 PM
TMI displayed was the reason I removed that feature.

Brian, there was a principal or two who would print out people's messages and leave them in their inbox at school.

kantwin
March 2nd, 2012, 7:27 PM
Brian, there was a principal or two who would print out people's messages and leave them in their inbox at school.
Wonder if that counted against that teacher's copy count for the year...

IronErnin
March 2nd, 2012, 9:15 PM
Oh yes, we couldn't have groups larger than three teachers getting on here at the same time. The higher ups might get the idea they were trying to organize.

Brian McCall
March 2nd, 2012, 9:18 PM
TMI displayed was the reason I removed that feature.

What passive-aggressive little totalitarian pricks!

I guess that kind of job attracts personalities like that.

corgifan
March 3rd, 2012, 8:13 PM
Of course, since Corgifan and I are lightning rods, we can be assured of great readership, evidenced by the pitchfork and scythe-wielding mob shouting and pounding the dusty road behind us.
HEY!!! What do you mean that WE are lightning rods, Kimosabe????

Grammar Rules
March 3rd, 2012, 8:19 PM
There's plenty of heat and light to go around. I'll admit you do attract most of it.

corgifan
March 3rd, 2012, 8:32 PM
Just my special talent of making enemies and not influencing people... in deep red states, anyhow.

corgifan
June 6th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'd like to see the TIME POSTED feature return, at least during summer vacation, and beyond.

xzochye
June 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see the TIME POSTED feature return, at least during summer vacation, and beyond.

Nope

Scarlett
June 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Is it not there? Or maybe I can just see it because I have special buttons...LOL.

xzochye
June 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Is it not there? Or maybe I can just see it because I have special buttons...LOL.

If you are on tapatalk the time is still there. If you are on the computer time stamps are gone.

corgifan
June 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Nope

Why?

Rick
June 7th, 2012, 2:30 AM
It'll be back for everyone when I do the next upgrade in a few weeks.

I can turn it on for those who want it now.

corgifan
June 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks. It's convenient to see how recent or old a post is with just a glance.