PDA

View Full Version : Stove conversion??

engteach64
February 24th, 2012, 5:40 PM
I have a countertop range, and next to it a build in oven. I would like an all in one range. I was told an electrician had to do that for me, but when I asked the electrician he said I didn't. Ummm, anyone know what is needed to put a regular range back in my kitchen?

Ludwig
February 24th, 2012, 6:18 PM
Whether or not you will need an electrician will depend on what you currently have and what you will need depending on your choice of range. You also may need a skilled cabinet maker to fit the range into the kitchen.

Since you're doing all that, you may want to consider opting for a gas range... It's a lot easier to cook on them because you have better heat control and gas is cheaper (unless you don't have gas in your house at all).

JoAnn Purser
February 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
The power is the issue mostly for me. If you have separate appliances, which are hard wired in, that may be what needs to be modified in order to be able to use a range/oven combo. If you have a microwave oven on a countertop now would be the time to consider a built in microwave above the range/oven combo. Any additional countertop would be a plus to a kitchen.

The other issue is the cabinet and countertop.

engteach64
February 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I have the build in microwave above the countertop range, and to the right of it is the oven (built in ). I think Ludwig is correct that it may need rewired for the purpose of having it all merged together. As to gas...I hate cooking with gas. I prefer electric. I've never had good luck with gas stoves. I use the one at church when I cook for them, but don't think I want one in my own home. Nope, not gas.

I just want to have the stove in place before I decide to get new countertops. Thank you both.