PDA

View Full Version : Local honey to fight allergies

olderthandirt
February 21st, 2012, 5:08 AM
I've heard all kinds of comments from folks who swear by taking a teaspoon of local honey to help fight allergies, but I am wondering if this is an old wives' tale. Has anybody truly had success? If so, where can I find some (not sure if what they're carrying at HEB is local)? I'm willing to try just about anything to get this mess cleared

IronErnin
February 21st, 2012, 9:30 AM
I think it would depend on one's allergies. If the allergies are to such things as pollen, I'd think it could be beneficial. Allergies to things like pet dander, I'd be kind of skeptical.

Mestral
February 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM
That is right. Honey does nothing for allergy to pet dander. It is the minute amounts of pollen proteins found in the honey that promotes resistance to allergy.

(Yeah, I know that isn't quite medically correct, but it is a way to say it that is understandable)

As for the honey at HEB, they carry at least two kinds that are local. Fain's honey is from Llano, and Lone Star honey is from Rogers. I think there are a couple others too, but you have to know what to look for on the label.

mac
February 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
that pecan guy down there by the lake belton bridge sells his own honey. now that'd be REAL local......mac

That is right. Honey does nothing for allergy to pet dander. It is the minute amounts of pollen proteins found in the honey that promotes resistance to allergy.

(Yeah, I know that isn't quite medically correct, but it is a way to say it that is understandable)

As for the honey at HEB, they carry at least two kinds that are local. Fain's honey is from Llano, and Lone Star honey is from Rogers. I think there are a couple others too, but you have to know what to look for on the label.

IronErnin
February 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Too bad Nickerson's Farms isn't out there at the corner of I-35 & SH 195 anymore. That'd be a great place to buy local honey. When did they close down, anybody know?

Ludwig
February 21st, 2012, 1:21 PM
Local honey can help to alleviate seasonal pollen allergy/hay fever symptoms. The honey ought to be raw honey, unheated, unpasteurized, and the more local the honey is, the more it’s apt to be effective. You are not likely to find that kind of honey in any of the local grocery stores but it should be available from a local honey producer or bee-keeper.

The closest “local” producer that I know of who might be able to help either provide the desired product or be aware of a local bee-keeper is Walker Honey Farm, 8060 E US 190, Rogers, TX 76569, telephone 254-983-2337, e-mail at info@dancingbeewinery.com or visit their website at: www.dancingbeewinery.com

dawglover
February 21st, 2012, 1:43 PM
I've heard all kinds of comments from folks who swear by taking a teaspoon of local honey to help fight allergies, but I am wondering if this is an old wives' tale. Has anybody truly had success? If so, where can I find some (not sure if what they're carrying at HEB is local)? I'm willing to try just about anything to get this mess cleared

It's not an old wives tale. It's true. It also help big time with fighting off colds. As long as it is a "local" honey it really works.

Mestral
February 21st, 2012, 2:21 PM
Local honey can help to alleviate seasonal pollen allergy/hay fever symptoms. The honey ought to be raw honey, unheated, unpasteurized, and the more local the honey is, the more it’s apt to be effective. You are not likely to find that kind of honey in any of the local grocery stores but it should be available from a local honey producer or bee-keeper.

The closest “local” producer that I know of who might be able to help either provide the desired product or be aware of a local bee-keeper is Walker Honey Farm, 8060 E US 190, Rogers, TX 76569, telephone 254-983-2337, e-mail at info@dancingbeewinery.com or visit their website at: www.dancingbeewinery.com

"Walker" is another name I used to see in HEB, but I haven't seen it in a few months.

olderthandirt
February 21st, 2012, 2:30 PM
Thanks a bunch -- guess I need to make a short road trip to Rogers!

cnjbond
February 21st, 2012, 3:45 PM
that pecan guy down there by the lake belton bridge sells his own honey. now that'd be REAL local......mac

I'll have to try him out...haven't had any local honey since Bro Ledbetter passed away a few years ago.

kantwin
February 21st, 2012, 4:01 PM
When I was a kid, we used to be able to buy squares of the actual honey comb.
I think that would qualify as raw honey, unheated, and unpasteurized.

mac
February 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
that's the way i still eat my honey....order 8 squares every year from some place up in wisconsin.......clover.......great stuff......been doin' it every year since sioux bee stopped sellin' comb honey......mac

When I was a kid, we used to be able to buy squares of the actual honey comb.
I think that would qualify as raw honey, unheated, and unpasteurized.

mac
February 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
if you're comin' from temple, it's the first right after you get off the bridge, if you're headin' to temple, it's the last left before you get on the bridge......has an excellent assortment of pecans too.....every thing from the indian breeds to natives......also a fun guy to just sit and shoot the s*** with for a while.......mac

I'll have to try him out...haven't had any local honey since Bro Ledbetter passed away a few years ago.

Ludwig
February 22nd, 2012, 3:15 PM
That would be White Flint Park Road off SH-36?

Night Owl
February 22nd, 2012, 4:09 PM
I get my honey from the house. It has been giving for almost 37 years.:)

sojourner truth
February 22nd, 2012, 5:45 PM
First time I poked my nose in this thread..I thought it was about some homegrown hottie that was giving allergy shots. Local honey, indeed.

Grammar Rules
February 22nd, 2012, 9:52 PM
Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville east of Temple has local honey, and I think they usually have it with the comb. Also home-processed sausage, kolaches, breads, beef sticks, and custom meats in the general store side. Old-fashioned burgers and CFS plus cold brew in the diner side. Worth the trip.

corgifan
February 23rd, 2012, 1:31 AM
Another old wives tale. Studies have shown that people who took corn syrup with honey flavoring (believing it was honey) had the same response as those taking real honey. Find me one site that is recognized by the AMA and not some holistic guru and I'll change my mind.

JoAnn Purser
February 23rd, 2012, 6:43 AM
Saw a local honey from Rogers, Texas named "Walker's" at Cosper's Meat Market on Elms Road yesterday.

Night Owl
February 23rd, 2012, 6:56 AM
Another old wives tale. Studies have shown that people who took corn syrup with honey flavoring (believing it was honey) had the same response as those taking real honey. Find me one site that is recognized by the AMA and not some holistic guru and I'll change my mind.

---------------------------:doh----------------------------:doh-----------------------:doh-------------------------

Ludwig
February 23rd, 2012, 7:01 AM

Show me the studies done with corn syrup and I might change my mind.

Ludwig
February 23rd, 2012, 7:42 AM
Honey and Allergies

Some laboratory studies suggest honey has the potential to clear up stuffy noses and ease allergies triggered by pollen. But it's a bit of a stretch to apply that to patients, says New Jersey allergist Corinna Bowser, MD.

Bowser says she doesn't consider the studies on honey and congestion to be adequate, for a few reasons: most allergy sufferers are sensitive to wind-carried pollens like grass and ragweed -- the kind not carried by bees and transformed into honey.

"If you want to treat someone for common allergies, it's not commonly found in bee honey," Bowser says.

"Even if there are allergens in the honey, it wouldn't make a difference, because it gets broken down by stomach acids and doesn't trigger an immunological response," Bowser says. In contrast, "The pills we take for allergies are coated so they don't get broken down," she says.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/medicinal-uses-of-honey?page=2

mac
February 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
they also have the absolute best noon meal within reach......used to go there when i worked at temple......a country fried steak to die for......best sausage kolaches within reach too! they're the real deal.......i ain't never et supper there so can't comment on that...sheesh, that's a pretty good haul from here in killeen, but i might just head out that way for a late noon meal today.....mac

Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville east of Temple has local honey, and I think they usually have it with the comb. Also home-processed sausage, kolaches, breads, beef sticks, and custom meats in the general store side. Old-fashioned burgers and CFS plus cold brew in the diner side. Worth the trip.

Night Owl
February 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Honey and Allergies

Some laboratory studies suggest honey has the potential to clear up stuffy noses and ease allergies triggered by pollen. But it's a bit of a stretch to apply that to patients, says New Jersey allergist Corinna Bowser, MD.

Bowser says she doesn't consider the studies on honey and congestion to be adequate, for a few reasons: most allergy sufferers are sensitive to wind-carried pollens like grass and ragweed -- the kind not carried by bees and transformed into honey.

"If you want to treat someone for common allergies, it's not commonly found in bee honey," Bowser says.

"Even if there are allergens in the honey, it wouldn't make a difference, because it gets broken down by stomach acids and doesn't trigger an immunological response," Bowser says. In contrast, "The pills we take for allergies are coated so they don't get broken down," she says.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/medicinal-uses-of-honey?page=2

What else would you expect allergist Bowser to say? Follow the money. It is a miracle that we survived before we had people with MD after their name, just ask them.:doh

Ludwig
February 23rd, 2012, 3:23 PM
What else would you expect allergist Bowser to say? Follow the money. It is a miracle that we survived before we had people with MD after their name, just ask them.:doh

NO, you totally share my view on the matter. I only posted that for the sake of balance. I am a honey addict, the darker the better. Unfortunately, my source is a Muslim Imam who used to come to the prison where I served as chaplain so I guess I am buying a bullet or two every six weeks for the other side... but he assures me that he's a peace loving Muslim :):) But, to be on the safe side I decided not to advert for him so don't ask me where he's located.

Grammar Rules
February 23rd, 2012, 7:17 PM
they also have the absolute best noon meal within reach......used to go there when i worked at temple......a country fried steak to die for......best sausage kolaches within reach too! they're the real deal.......i ain't never et supper there so can't comment on that...sheesh, that's a pretty good haul from here in killeen, but i might just head out that way for a late noon meal today.....mac

Have to add their sausage is processed right there. They also process deer meat and will custom smoke your turkey without all those multi syllable additives.

Back to local honey, I've no idea if it contains allergy fighting ingredients. It's delicious, and the endorphins released probably help.

sojourner truth
February 23rd, 2012, 8:12 PM
Just what we need around here, Grammar with more endorphins.:))

Grammar Rules
February 23rd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Have to keep my spirits up somehow.

corgifan
February 23rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Show me the studies done with corn syrup and I might change my mind.
Here you go: http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1081-1206%2810%2961996-5/abstract
Real doctors.

Mestral
February 24th, 2012, 2:56 AM
. . . Back to local honey, I've no idea if it contains allergy fighting ingredients. It's delicious, and the endorphins released probably help.
I second that.

Here you go: http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1081-1206%2810%2961996-5/abstract
Real doctors.
Why would we be interested in the opinion of someone who is paid to give us a negative result?
Don't you know how the system works? If the result is what they want, publish the study. If the result is not what they want, bury the study.

Night Owl
February 24th, 2012, 7:17 AM
Here you go: http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1081-1206(10)61996-5/abstract
Real doctors.

Define a "real" doctor.

olderthandirt
February 24th, 2012, 8:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder about Green's in Zabcikville -- I'm heading there tomorrow. There may not be "documented official medical research" on it, but it sure sounds like a good possibility to help my allergies. I'd much rather do something natural than pharmaceutic!

My mama didn't have a medical degree either, but her homemade remedies did wonders for us kids. We were rarely sick, and we spent our days messing in the dirt all the time.

kantwin
February 24th, 2012, 8:36 AM
When one gets a remedy from Mom, one gets better. Don't know if it's the mind telling you that Mom makes things better or not, but it sure worked for me most of the time.

Ludwig
February 24th, 2012, 1:04 PM
Thanks for the reminder about Green's in Zabcikville -- I'm heading there tomorrow. There may not be "documented official medical research" on it, but it sure sounds like a good possibility to help my allergies. I'd much rather do something natural than pharmaceutic!

My mama didn't have a medical degree either, but her homemade remedies did wonders for us kids. We were rarely sick, and we spent our days messing in the dirt all the time.

Go on your way. Your FAITH has saved you. Jesus, Mom, shaman, acupuncture, pharma, science... It all comes down to faith.

dawglover
February 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mac: How do you get there if you're driving from Cove? Also, just because he's local doesn't mean he sells local honey.You can go to Walmart or HEB and buy honey but it's not local. Are you sure this guys sells local honey? If so I'd really like to go there and buy some. need directions please.

dawglover
February 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I get my honey from the house. It has been giving for almost 37 years.:)
Can we have some? :)):))

mac
February 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
just go to the lake belton bridge. just before you get to it (from the west) you'll see a little country drive or lane to the left. take that and you'll drive right up to his place. yes, it's absolutely local honey....from his own hives...mac

Mac: How do you get there if you're driving from Cove? Also, just because he's local doesn't mean he sells local honey.You can go to Walmart or HEB and buy honey but it's not local. Are you sure this guys sells local honey? If so I'd really like to go there and buy some. need directions please.

dawglover
February 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM

How do you get their driving from Cove?

dawglover
February 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
just go to the lake belton bridge. just before you get to it (from the west) you'll see a little country drive or lane to the left. take that and you'll drive right up to his place. yes, it's absolutely local honey....from his own hives...mac

Thanks Mac. I haven't been to Belton Bridge in years. What turn off do you take of US190 to get there?

Night Owl
February 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Can we have some? :)):))

Only if you take the Bee and keep it!!!!:))

kantwin
February 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Is "bee" a first initial?

olderthandirt
February 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Green's Sausage House had lots of different kinds, all from Walker Honey Farm in Rogers. Great variety and really good prices. Thanks for the help!