PDA

View Full Version : Blindness After Surgery

Rick
February 14th, 2012, 8:39 AM
My daughter's dog had kidney stones removed Saturday. Since then, he cannot see. Pupils won't respond to light at all.

She is in San Antonio now. Her vet from Killeen said to just wait, I told her to get another opinion.

I'll post the meds when she lets me know what they are.

dawglover
February 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM
You gave her good advice. I'd be damned if I waited.

siamcat
February 14th, 2012, 6:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Poor puppie, hope it gets better.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
February 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have seen some of the pre-anesthetic agents have a prolonged effect before and eventually leave the system. Some of these can cause the pupils to dilate and become non-responsive to light.

There are also other conditions that could cause blindness. I wish her the best and I hope this turns out to be a temporary side-effect.

Rick
February 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks Dr. Buckley,

She said he was wagging his tail and walking a little today. Yesterday, he wouldn't walk at all. So maybe he is getting sight back.

She talked to her Ft. Hood vet who said that it could be from the loss of blood in his urine. She said the urine no longer has blood, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Chief
February 15th, 2012, 3:43 PM
Dr. Buckley is a fantastic vet and I would trust any of my pets to his care.

Rick
March 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
He still can't see. She has to carry him outside. Daughter's vet says to give it more time. She never got another opinion.

Frustrating.

siamcat
March 3rd, 2012, 9:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that.

Rick
March 6th, 2012, 5:40 AM
He got much worse early this morning, he was in a lot of pain, so she took him in and had him put to sleep. Poor thing (both of them).

That's him in the blue ad.

Night Owl
March 6th, 2012, 7:04 AM
Rick
I am so sorry to hear about the puppy. I hope your daughter is doing ok. My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter. Puppies are family.

Ludwig
March 6th, 2012, 7:10 AM
I'm sorry to hear of the family trauma. I hope that the young lady does not carry the pain of her loss for long, nor alone.
Since we live so close, if either of my pups experience such an event, they will be taken to the Vet. Hospital at TAMU. That has always worked for me in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siamcat
March 8th, 2012, 9:02 PM
I'm so sorry.