PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler System and Lawn Care Recommendations

Supergirl
January 17th, 2012, 8:40 AM
Well, I returned from Korea and stuck in an apartment for 6 months until my tenants lease is up.

I need some recommendations on people who fix underground sprinkler systems and also someone who does lawn care. I know that there has been a drought but does that mean you can't water at all? Are there certain days, times?

sojourner truth
January 17th, 2012, 9:09 AM
The drought is still here, but nobody's really wathing rationing. I think Killeen is still under some kind of rationing. The best sprinkler maintenance company is "Atmospheres". They are very good. Lawncare is a crapshoot. The Guys with Green Shoes seems to be the big choice here in Heights. They also do landscaping, turf rpair, and irrigation sysytem maintenance.

CenTexDave
January 17th, 2012, 9:10 AM
Your lawn should have greened up by now. We've had enough rain lately. Although I noticed mine doesn't have all the nice grass it had. It's where I'm beginning to think like a Texan - if the Lord wanted green grass he'll make it rain.:)

sojourner truth
January 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
If your grass is green this time of year, it ain't grass you're looking at, it's winter weeds. The most common is Poa Annua, or "winter rye grass" which is a very pesky grass to get rid of. A good turf grass such as Bahia, St. Augustine, or Bermuda won't start greening up until spring, despite the warm weather. If your grass is getting sparser, you have White Grubs. They ruin more lawns in Texas than any other pest. They are the larval stage of the June Bug, and survive by eating the roots of the grass. You can tell you have them if your grass pulls up by the handful very easily. Bayer makes the best grub killer on the market, since all the really good ones have been discontinued by the TDA and EPA. I wish they would eat the roots of the weeds, but they don't. If they take out an area of your lawn, the only way to get it back is to resod the area after you treat for them. The newer St. Augustine grasses are the best suited for the Texas soil and environment.