PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapers

reader
April 26th, 2009, 7:49 AM
Well, hey...what goes around comes around...again. There was a fun article in the Sunday paper this morning about mothers using cloth diapers, but boy, have they changed! Ours were white and we used diaper pins and plastic pants. Now they have snaps and cute styles and colors...they even have diaper liners (which would have saved a lot of dunks in the toilet). :-)

I remember my oldest son's pediatrician being horrified at the thought I might use disposable diapers (years ago), but I rarely used anything but cloth unless we were traveling. When my granddaughters came along, my children told me in no uncertain terms (but with a smile) they were NOT using cloth diapers. I used to use those soft cloths for everything from burp cloths to dusting rags when they wore out, so I went ahead and bought each baby a package of cloth ones when they were born ANYWAY. :-)

christine
April 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
You know my mother wants me to use the cloth diapers but I’m not so sure about them. I think it would just be easier to use the other ones.
Has anyone actually used the new kind?

VooDooBaby
April 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I was looking into using gdiapers. Those consist of a shell, a liner, and then an insert. You can either flush the insert down the toilet, or throw it away because it does break down normally, unlike regular diapers. If the liner gets dirty, you can hand wash it in the sink and it dries really fast. I would probably be more inclined to try these if a sample pack was available at low cost. I'd still use disposable diapers when we leave the house though.

reader
April 26th, 2009, 3:43 PM
I was looking into using gdiapers. Those consist of a shell, a liner, and then an insert. You can either flush the insert down the toilet, or throw it away because it does break down normally, unlike regular diapers. If the liner gets dirty, you can hand wash it in the sink and it dries really fast. I would probably be more inclined to try these if a sample pack was available at low cost. I'd still use disposable diapers when we leave the house though.

Yes, even though I'm an advocate of cloth diapers, disposables are a must on a trip...;) Christine, do your mother and I know each other? LOL...

christine
April 26th, 2009, 3:59 PM
I don't think so. but Im still not sure about the whole reuseable ones.

VooDooBaby
April 26th, 2009, 4:27 PM
Christine, try out the gDiapers. They're hybrid, so everyone will be happy. Go to youtube and type in gDiapers, and there are videos on them. I've only ever seen them online and at babies 'r' us.

christine
April 26th, 2009, 5:16 PM
ok I'll give it a shot but I still have quite a while till I have a butt to but them on. LOL Im at 16weeks.

Scarlett
April 26th, 2009, 6:26 PM
Here is my philosophy on diapers...and I have had a few kids myself...
Don't waste your money on the name brands. Face it, the kids will **** in a Huggie or Pamper as much as they **** in a store brand, for a fraction of the cost.
When you are ready to potty train, SKIP THE PULL-UPS, unless you are traveling...If the point of a pull up is that the kids feel like they are in a diaper, they will treat it like a diaper. It took me ONE week to train my kids. The went straight from disposable diapers to cloth training pants, and they went insane when it "felt wet." Was it "messy" for me? Hell yeah. But was it worth it? You betcha!

christine
April 26th, 2009, 8:20 PM
now my question is how soon can I potty train. LOL

reader
April 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
gdiapers...wow. Wouldn't I have loved those! Congratulations, Christine, and take care of yourself and your little one. Let us know when you find out what you're having...:-)

FieryPrincess
April 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM
My tip on disposable diapers is that they are not one size fits all.

Example: My kids just weren't Huggies shaped. Huggies would leak like sieves on them. Luvs weren't my faves either. Pampers worked nicely (and I do recommend those swaddlers on the very yungest babes) but after awhile, HEB and Sam's brand (Smiles) worked great for us.

Something else to know is that the sizes aren't exact. Some size 1s are a wee bit smaller and some are a wee bit larger than the ones in the middle - but I have since forgotten (blocked out?) which are which.

kryptickancer
April 26th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I would like to try cloth diapers with my new one that's due in July, but I have no idea how to even start. How many do I need, how do you use em, etc. I know it's expensive getting started on cloth diapers because I looked into it, but you still save money in the long run. I just wish I knew someone who could tell me how to do it. :P

Oh yeah! Congrats on the new baby!

christine
April 27th, 2009, 6:12 AM
thanks everyone. Congrats to you to Kryptickancer. I can't wait to see what it is...we want a girl.
as for the diapers, i should just asume that the regular ones are fitted like womens clothing...can't trust the lable. LOL. I might try the new cloth diapers just to see how it is. thanks again.

VooDooBaby
April 27th, 2009, 8:20 AM
When you are ready to potty train, SKIP THE PULL-UPS, unless you are traveling...If the point of a pull up is that the kids feel like they are in a diaper, they will treat it like a diaper. It took me ONE week to train my kids. The went straight from disposable diapers to cloth training pants, and they went insane when it "felt wet." Was it "messy" for me? Hell yeah. But was it worth it? You betcha!

Exactly what I plan on doing with potty training. My mom thinks I'm nuts to not use pull ups. I'm just going to lock myself and my son in our house for a week with my carpet/upholstery shampooer, a nice big box of detergent, an alarm clock for night time and extra bedding lol

kryptickancer
April 27th, 2009, 1:58 PM
Exactly what I plan on doing with potty training. My mom thinks I'm nuts to not use pull ups. I'm just going to lock myself and my son in our house for a week with my carpet/upholstery shampooer, a nice big box of detergent, an alarm clock for night time and extra bedding lol

Pull ups were a disaster for my my daughter as well. She used them like diapers. I finally took off the diaper let her pee on herself a few times and she (/gasp) started going to the toilet. It took about a week for to get the hang of it. Now I have to do it all over again with my 2 year old... :((

MyFoot76541
June 21st, 2009, 5:30 PM
Both my kids were highly interested in doing it just like mom and dad (and big sister) were doing it. They went with us to the bathroom every waking minute (supervision issue, because one of us usually was asleep while the other was up with the kid/s), and as soon as they showed interest, we put in that toilet insert and let them sit on it for a while. The very first time they heard the tinkle, they were hooked, and when they found the stinkies in there ... there was no stopping them!! We had many laughs during potty training.

My daughter was dry at 13 months, my son was dry at age 12 months. We just used diapers at night for a few more months, but they did not like to wake up wet, so that went really well, too.

Oh, I forgot the main part: Cloth diapers. My daughter was raised on cloth diapers. She had 20 of them and sometimes we still ran out (we did not own a wash machine). The issue with them is, instead of rolling up the plastic over the stinky diaper, and dropping it in the garbage, you have to rinse out the poo. Another issue may be soreness until you can figure out which detergent the baby tolerates. If I compare my kids' skin issues on cloth and paper diapers, I would use paper any time, even though I am environmentally conscious in many other situations.

VooDooBaby
July 28th, 2009, 8:01 PM
So an update. My friend has started using gDiapers, and she loves them. She decided to go even further and go with cloth inserts, so there is nothing to throw away. I don't have the patience to wash diapers, as my husband is deployed and I work.

Anyways, you can now get the starter packs at HEB in Killeen. That's the best place to buy baby stuff in Killeen.