PDA

View Full Version : Ant problem solved

reader
January 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I haven't been keeping up with the forum much the past few months, but I wanted to pass this on. No matter how clean I keep my kitchen I have had ants marching across my floor like they owned the place. My husband has used boric acid, put out ant baits, you name it. He finally tried diatomaceous earth (we buy ours at Oma's) and voila! All gone. We actually sprinkle this stuff on pet food (eating it retards fleas) and use it in the garden...completely non-toxic to everything but insect critters, I guess...

olderthandirt
January 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the tip of where to find diatomaceous earth locally -- I've only found it on line. Great stuff with lots of uses

IronErnin
January 7th, 2012, 2:34 PM
We get good results with uncooked grits. Open the mound and sprinkle on. Then reapply as necessary.

Texas Immigrant
January 7th, 2012, 2:35 PM
Sounds great, where do you get yours?

IronErnin
January 7th, 2012, 2:37 PM
Grits are sold at any area grocery store. Reader mentioned they get their earth at Oma's.

xzochye
January 7th, 2012, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the tip of where to find diatomaceous earth locally -- I've only found it on line. Great stuff with lots of uses

What are some other uses? I have never heard of it.

Ludwig
January 7th, 2012, 4:26 PM
What are some other uses? I have never heard of it.

Because you asked:

Diatomaceous earth is at least potentially dangerous to pets and people when inhaled, so care in use is recommended.

It is used to stabilize nitroglycerin to make dynamite.

It is used as a filter medium, especially for swimming pools. It is also used to filter water, particularly in the drinking water treatment process and in fish tanks, and other liquids, such as beer and wine. It can also filter syrups, sugar, and honey

As an abrasive, tt has been used both in toothpaste and in metal polishes, as well as in some facial scrubs.

Diatomite is used as an insecticide. It can be used as a home flea treatment in lieu of acetylcholinesterase inhibitory treatments or insecticides which carry with them a risk of poisoning for both humans and animals. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.

Its use to de-worm both animals and humans, is questionable. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach, flea infestations and to control bedbug infestations.

Its absorbent qualities make it useful for spill clean-up and to use in facial masks to absorb excess oils.

It has been employed as a primary ingredient in a type of cat litter.

Its thermal properties enable it to be used as the barrier material in some fire resistant safes. It is also used in evacuated powder insulation for use with cryogenics.

Natural freshwater diatomaceous earth is used in agriculture for grain storage as an anticaking agent, as well as an insecticide. It is approved by the US Department of Agriculture as a feed supplement.

Freshwater diatomite can be used as a growing medium in hydroponic gardens. It is also used as a growing medium in potted plants, particularly as bonsai soil.

reader
January 8th, 2012, 5:23 AM
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Diatomaceous-Earth_vq21.htm

Love Howard Garrett...

IronErnin
January 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Keep diatomaceous earth on hand to fill a shuffle box to decontaminate your footwear in areas affected by a chemical weapons attack.
The schools used to use it to clean up after someone vomitted.

ItsMe
January 15th, 2012, 2:55 PM
I used cornmeal. Ants take it back to their colonies and eat it. They can't digest it so they die. Not harmful to anyone. Takes a little while, but for me when they were coming through my door, I just put it along the base of the doorway, and it probably took a few days until I saw them all gone.

CenTexDave
January 15th, 2012, 7:42 PM
Years ago, before our beloved EPA started making chemical companies lessen their potent formulas, Spectracide Diazanon was the deadliest thing I ever used for ants. Find an anthill in the yard and a couple of tablespoons sprinkled around the base of the anthill and they were gone within 30 minutes.
That Over-and-Out stuff works for a while, but is very expensive and if your neighbors don't apply it to their lawn the ants will come back to yours in a few weeks.