PDA

View Full Version : Toilet issue...

engteach64
January 3rd, 2012, 3:37 PM
Okay, the life of a homeowner is never dull. My kids informed me that their toilet is not filling up with water. Well, it will, it just takes a very long time. They are using my bathroom, and I don't like it. :) I read up that it may be the inner workings that need changed out. Someone said a 9.00 part. Is this accurate? I would love to scrap the toilet and get rid of the yellow (yes, they bought yellow) toilet, but don't want to spend the money right now. Any ideas? Any advice on how to do this repair would be appreciated. You all have come through for me on everything else so far. :)

Oh, and I fixed my blender with a 6.00 part. I'm just becoming a home repair guru. :) Okay, I am with LOTS of centextalk help.:thumbsup

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2012, 3:56 PM
Not sure of the price but the kits to rebuild them are available at Home Depot and Lowe's... They come complete with the obstructions, oops instructions, as to how to make the repair...

:smoke

CenTexDave
January 3rd, 2012, 4:24 PM
Recommend Fluidmaster flush valves. Comes in a kit and is easy. Also check the hose from the water pipe to the flush valve. Might need cleaning out.

Night Owl
January 3rd, 2012, 4:35 PM
Easy fix in 10 easy steps. Shouldn't take over 30 minutes unless it is your first time and plan on 2 hours.:)) It is much easier to replace the innards than to try and replace what is not woring. That could get to be a headache quick.

1. IMPORTANT!!!! Turn the water off at the wall.
2. Remove top. Flush and hold handle until most of the water is gone. Use a towel or something to remove the rest of the water in the tank.
3. Disconnect the water hose to the tank. Have a bowl to catch water in tank.
4. Remove the fill line inside the tank.
5. Hold the nut where the water hose connects to the tank and unscrew the innards. Have a bowl to catch any water you missed. You will miss some.
6. Put the new innards in the hole and tighten the nut finger tight plus 1/4 turn. Do NOT over tighten.
7. Reattache the fill line.
8. Reattach the water hose.
9. Turn on water and make sure there are no leaks.
10. Replace top.
Done!!!!

Let us know when it is time to replace the wax ring. That is easier and much more fun.:))

sojourner truth
January 3rd, 2012, 5:58 PM
Owl has the proceedure down pat. When the flapper or water control valve mechanisms go, usually you can hear the sound of the toilet trying to refill periodically. It sounds like someone just pushed the handle down part way for second. If it's the flapper (clapper) you will hear the "rifill" noise every now and again for a few seconds. If that's the case, a new clapper is all you need. If the water is just filling up slowly it could be that someone hit or turned the valve on the wall closed a bit. I have mine in my bathroom closed off a bit so the bowl fills slowly. If you crank the valve open (counterclockwise) it will increase the wate flow and the bowl will fill faster. If you do this, and the water flow is still slow, you need a new bowl kit as Owl suggested. Before you change anything, make sure you turn the wall water valve all the way off or you'll have a mess. Flush the toilet once after you turn tha valve off, it will get rid of most of the water. Keep a few towells handy.

Ludwig
January 3rd, 2012, 9:39 PM
Some of the inlet hoses have a filter screen because the water control mechanisms in the tank are sensitive and the orifices small. These screens can get clogged with debris, particularly after there has been a break in a water main down line, and slow water flow. Be sure to check for such a screen before you go through the trouble of replacing the mechanisms within the tank. It's a LOT cheaper and less work.

TheOldProgrammer
January 4th, 2012, 6:17 AM
Easy fix in 10 easy steps. Shouldn't take over 30 minutes unless it is your first time and plan on 2 hours.:)) It is much easier to replace the innards than to try and replace what is not woring. That could get to be a headache quick.

1. IMPORTANT!!!! Turn the water off at the wall.
2. Remove top. Flush and hold handle until most of the water is gone. Use a towel or something to remove the rest of the water in the tank.
3. Disconnect the water hose to the tank. Have a bowl to catch water in tank.
4. Remove the fill line inside the tank.
5. Hold the nut where the water hose connects to the tank and unscrew the innards. Have a bowl to catch any water you missed. You will miss some.
6. Put the new innards in the hole and tighten the nut finger tight plus 1/4 turn. Do NOT over tighten.
7. Reattache the fill line.
8. Reattach the water hose.
9. Turn on water and make sure there are no leaks.
10. Replace top.
Done!!!!

Let us know when it is time to replace the wax ring. That is easier and much more fun.:))

A little teflon tape at Step 7 would also be wise...

:smoke

engteach64
January 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Where would this screen be located Ludwig? Inside the workings somewhere? The kids said the water is coming out a little better, but still too slow, so I wonder if it isn't a clog.

sojourner truth
January 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
There is a valve on the wall that provides water to the toilet. Turn it off by turning it clockwise as far as it will go. Disconnect the hose that runs from the wall valve to the toilet at both ends with a crescent wrench. If there is a filter, it will be in one end or the other of the hose. While you have the hose off, look up into the flush valve where the hose hooks up to the toilet using a flashlight and see if there is possibly a filter up in there. You can usually pry it out with a knife or small screwdriver. If it is clogged, soak it in some CLR or Lime Away for about an hour, then rinse, and recheck for calcification. If there is some, use a sewing needle to carefully punch the calcium deposits out. Then, reinstall the filter and hose and crank the wall valve all the way open (counterclockwise) and try it again.

Night Owl
January 6th, 2012, 8:34 AM
Don't forget once you turn the water all the way on, to back off 1/4 turn. This ensures the valve doesn't stick and become a problem the next time you need to turn the water off.

engteach64
January 6th, 2012, 1:02 PM
Okay, tomorrow is the big day. I will play plumber. Well, I will attempt it. Thank you all for the advice as always. We will see how well I follow directions. :)

Night Owl
January 6th, 2012, 4:25 PM
If'n it no wok blam it on hour gramm'r.:))

engteach64
January 7th, 2012, 2:37 PM
Okay, it took us about 20 minutes! I pulled out the instructions, as any good woman would do...I looked them over, and put them aside. There were a LOT of words on those pages. So...I loooked at the pictures and proceded. We were proactive and placed towels all around the toilet, turned off the valve as you all said. I disconnected the hose from the toilet. Only a little water came out. Next we (AJ) took the innards apart. He was thinking ahead, and had a cup to catch the water. We (okay, AJ) looked at the parts, and hooked it up. It made a horrible noise and didn't work. We (I) said "fine, at least we tried." After a few seconds we (AJ) decided to try it again. I noticed we forgot a piece...we (AJ) took everything apart and put the rubber piece on. He tightened it all back up and hooked up the hose. He stepped back and gave me the honors of turning it back on. I turned the water on and it made a horrible noise, but as I opened the valve up completely it quit. The toilet filled up in about 3 seconds, I flushed it, and 3 seconds later it was filled again.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Yet again you all come through for me. My son and I are getting to be quite the handy people. I feel good that I am able to make these small repairs without calling in a handy man. I cannot tell you guys how grateful I am for your help.

Night Owl
January 9th, 2012, 9:09 AM
You can now open up your own small business, "ET64 home repair service.":))

Congrats!!!!

sojourner truth
January 9th, 2012, 9:52 AM
Rule #1: always check inside the bowl before starting the job.:)

Ludwig
January 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rule #2. Ensure the availability of toilet paper ahead of time.

sojourner truth
January 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Rule #3: Ensure you have a "backup plan" in case repairs take longer than expected OR you really mess the job up and have to call a plumber.

CenTexDave
January 9th, 2012, 2:58 PM
Rule #4 - pay the bill you will receiving from CTT.com's Home Advisory Service within 30 days.:)

Night Owl
January 9th, 2012, 4:30 PM
We ain't cheep!!!!:))

engteach64
January 9th, 2012, 4:35 PM
You guys are a hoot!

circle_c
January 9th, 2012, 5:56 PM
And I thought only Owl was a hoot. Just goes to show ya :))

Night Owl
January 10th, 2012, 7:45 AM
No, no, I'm the only one that GIVES a hoot!!!:))

CenTexDave
January 10th, 2012, 8:01 AM
A hoot!!!! :))

engteach64
January 17th, 2012, 8:17 PM
You guys are funny! After I posted I realized my put with Nightowl's name. You all just crack me up...and help me with my home repairs too. What more can a gal ask?

Night Owl
January 17th, 2012, 9:17 PM
I dono but ask away and find out!!!:))

circle_c
January 18th, 2012, 7:24 AM
You need to be reeeally careful what you ask for here. :))

sojourner truth
January 18th, 2012, 7:41 AM
My wife tells me that the advantage of marrying a man who can use a calk gun outwiegh almost any disadvantages. My daughter tells me most single men are like parking places....They either taken, or handicapped.