PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

onetime
December 18th, 2011, 11:19 PM
So me and the Mrs have began a few side projects since we are off, first project remove old light fixtures and replace them with canned, recessed, or flushed lights. The problem that we are having is the old light housing is anchored into a 2x4 that is partially in the way of the where we would like to put the new light. My question is can I cut in the 2x4 in order to make room for it? Check out the pic

IronErnin
December 19th, 2011, 6:21 AM
I would hope that ceiling beam was bigger than 2x4. But, you should be able to do that to one per room. I would look for fixtures that were more shallow. Or perhaps not recess the cans at all. Temporarily install one, just to see how it looks.

Night Owl
December 19th, 2011, 6:48 AM
Do not cut unless you put in cross members to spread the weight. There is a reason the 2x4 is there.

sojourner truth
December 19th, 2011, 7:14 AM
All cieling mounted fixtures such as lighting or fans are required, by code, to be attached to a stud to keep them from falling off the cieling. That box is nailed to the 2x4 for a good reason.. If you decide to install a new fixture at a different location, simply pick the spot, install a j box (junction box) by nailing it to a 2x4 in the area desired, then route the wiring and install the new fixture. It's usually best done from up in the attic area where you can see where the studs are. Make sure you step only on the 2x4 cross beams or you will put a nice hole in your cieling.

Night Owl
December 19th, 2011, 7:49 AM
Excellent advice. It is difficult finding a light fixture that looks like a footprint.:)

Ludwig
December 19th, 2011, 8:38 AM
Cutting ceiling joists is not recommended. Repair that hole in the ceiling and find a location for your "cans" away from the joists. Those fixtures get very hot so be sure that they are as far away from combustible material as possible (check the installation instructions for minimum distances).

Personally, I do not consider electrical installations to be a DIY project. I would rather spend the $ and be safe. I have lived through one fire and don't care to repeat the experience.

mac
December 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
check both ends of the 2x4. it may have been and prob'ly was only put there to hold up the light. if thats case, let her rip!.......mac

Cutting ceiling joists is not recommended. Repair that hole in the ceiling and find a location for your "cans" away from the joists. Those fixtures get very hot so be sure that they are as far away from combustible material as possible (check the installation instructions for minimum distances).

Personally, I do not consider electrical installations to be a DIY project. I would rather spend the $ and be safe. I have lived through one fire and don't care to repeat the experience.

onetime
December 31st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the help, I created a new hole and hired a guy to patch the existing hole for $25, looks good. On to the next project, should I caulk and paint the crown or finish staining the fence?2166

cnjbond
December 31st, 2011, 1:20 PM
It's warm, tackle the fence!

onetime
December 31st, 2011, 1:27 PM
It's warm, tackle the fence!

Started on the fence, holy mother load of a task. LOL, I did not realize the monster that I created until after the fourth hour in. My neighbor said that is a big job, I was thinking "not for me", what the hell was I thinking?

xzochye
December 31st, 2011, 1:29 PM
You had better get it done today because tomorrow's going to be cold!

sojourner truth
December 31st, 2011, 3:02 PM
I used a spray gun and air compressor. The fence was done in one day, and I never broke a sweat. Of course, my dog is a two tone now.