PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again...

engteach64
November 19th, 2011, 5:13 PM
I bought a new shower head. I can't get the old one off. My giant son cannot get the shower head off. Is there some trick we are missing? It is reallly on there tight. I need my new massage shower head put on so I can function. HELP!!

sojourner truth
November 19th, 2011, 5:24 PM
It will take 2 pipewrenches or goose neck pliers. One to hold the shaft the head sits on, and another to twist the old head off with. Wrap some cloth around the wrench on the shaft that the head sits on so you don't scratch the chrome. Twist the head counterclockwise (lefty loosey) careful not to let either wrenhc slip. Some shower heads have a hex side surface at the mounting point which allows the use of a wrench (or a crescnt/adjustable wrench) this is better than using a pipe wrench if it has the hex sided base. Sometimes it doesn't take much effort to get it to break loose.

engteach64
November 19th, 2011, 6:03 PM
I told my son, "lefty loosy," and he said, "I know, but it won't budge." :) This gives me another escuse to go to Lowe's. Yay! :) I almost bought a great big tool kit with all those wrenches and round things. :)

sojourner truth
November 19th, 2011, 8:04 PM
Sometimes a pair of pliers will do it if you open the jaws up on them. A shot of WD40 around the threads might help if you give it a few seconds to penetrate. PS My wife complains about the trash the kids throw all around the Turtle Bend area too. As they're heading back to Mickeys, Subway, and the Whatabuarger.

THEMEANOGRE
November 19th, 2011, 8:15 PM
Engteach, I'm going to guess that your problem is that the old head is crossthreaded OR has a big build up of calcium in the head.
If it is crossthreaded, nothing will help to make it better. If it is simple build up, WD 40 may help. Otherwise, try brushing on some CLR. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, then try again. You could also try a strap wrench.

engteach64
November 19th, 2011, 8:26 PM
...what about a sledge hammer??

Night Owl
November 19th, 2011, 9:04 PM
If all else fails very carefully unscrew it from the wall and buy a new pipe. Tread it into and then screw on the showerhead. Always use teflon tape on the threads to help stop leaking. Can be found in the plumbing department.

engteach64
November 20th, 2011, 6:43 AM
Rachets! That's what I was thinking of in my earlier post!