PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mower

engteach64
October 29th, 2011, 8:35 PM
Okay, I know I said before that I over oiled my mower. I drained the oil, and it still doesn't work (I have oil in it at the proper level). The next step I'm told is to change out the spark plug. My question is, is there a generic spark plug for all mowers, or are they specific? Do I just need to take it into the store with me?

I wish this was as easy a fix as changing out my windshield wipers (that was today's project).

THEMEANOGRE
October 29th, 2011, 8:40 PM
I don't know about lawn mowers, but they may be just like automobiles. I'd check at your lawn mower repair place. You'll need the make and horsepower of your mower engine.

ithoughtso
October 29th, 2011, 8:54 PM
Lawn mowers have to have their oil changed from time to time, spark plugs replaced (not all are the same) and fuel filter replaced (in the case of a rider) and air filters (once again in the case of a rider).

Night Owl
October 29th, 2011, 9:07 PM
Spark plugs for mowers are specific for that type engine. Take it in with you or copt the number and take it with you. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.:)

Ludwig
October 29th, 2011, 9:08 PM
Not to mention the blade sharpened and balanced. Most lawnmowers from the "big gox" stores have Briggs & Stratton engines and use the same spark plug. You should be able to pull the plug, clean it and re-gap it if the only problem you had was too much oil. It is a near certainty that the plug is fouled if you had too much oil but that can be corrected.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2011, 9:38 PM
Walmart has a wide variety of spark plugs for lawnmowers. Refer to the owner's manual for the right type, or just remove the old one, wipe off the gobs of dirty oil, and copy down the model of the plug or take it with you.
Ensure you gap the electrode properly or it won't start.

engteach64
October 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I looked at the mower today...ummm, I was out of gas. Oops. I filled the gas and the mower started up just fine. The only problem is that there is some white smoke coming out of the side. I'm afraid to ruin the mower, so does anyone know if I should be worried.

circle_c
October 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Oil spill on the engine while changing or filling? Should go away eventually. If it's coming out the muffler all is OK. White smoke does not sound like a problem, but you have to run it to ID where the smoke is coming from exactly.

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2011, 9:07 AM
White smoke usually means water. You have water in the gas tank, or was it sitting outside during a rainstorm?

kantwin
October 31st, 2011, 9:10 AM
Thick white smoke with a tinge of purple is oil. If you overfilled it before, it could be some leftover in the cylinder that should burn off after a couple of minutes.

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2011, 1:09 PM
White smoke with a tinge of purple = grey smoke, yes oil.

kantwin
October 31st, 2011, 1:40 PM
Picky, picky. . . LOL

engteach64
October 31st, 2011, 7:04 PM
It is definitely an oil issue. We tried to get it going today, and it would not get up and go like yesterday. I think it hates me. No, it has never been left outside to get wet. We keep it in the garage. I still think it just hates me.

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Sounds to me that it might have been overfilled with oil the last time it was changed. Most of those lawn mowers hold less than a pint of oil
Carefully remove the spark plug and clean it. Regap it. Reinstall only finger tight plus about 1/4 turn.
Start and run like hell!! :))

engteach64
November 1st, 2011, 6:30 PM
Hey! I was going to do what you said, now I'm scared.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2011, 4:11 AM
Will just blow smoke for a few seconds while it cleans the oil out of the cylinder:))

engteach64
November 2nd, 2011, 6:35 AM
Okay, so what is the run part for...??:-s

kantwin
November 2nd, 2011, 6:41 AM
My guess is it was an attempt at humor.

engteach64
November 2nd, 2011, 7:39 PM
Yeah, but was it to just be funny, or was it to see if I would do it, then laugh when I admit it? :) Now when I do this I'm going to have to have my son start it while I hide behind the trash can.

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
If there is a lot of oil in the cylinder a fresh, clean plug will start the engine and a cloud will blow out the exhaust for a couple of seconds. Hopefully will burn all the oil out. No problem - will not explode. :))

Night Owl
November 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
It is almost impossible to get an engine of any kind to explode.

engteach64
November 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Now CTDave, am I REALLY supposed to believe you on this? I think HGTV could make a reality show of my life and trials of owning my own home. CTD could have guest appearances as the person who leads me astray for his own amusement. Ratings go up every time he's on it...

NightOwl, trust me, if it will explode I can do it. :)

Night Owl
November 3rd, 2011, 5:15 PM
It won't, the gas might but the engine won't.:)

Seriously, before you try to start the engine:
1. Drain the oil and fill it with clean oil to the proper level.
2. Remove the spark plug and replace with a new one.
3. Replace the air filter.
4. Move the mower outside so the smoke from the oil doesn't mess up your garage.
5. Follow the instructions on how to start the engine.
6. Start engine.
7. Let run for 5-10 minutes.
8. Turn off and let it coll down.
9. Remove spark plug and check for gunk on the plug. If dirty clean it off with and rag and reinstall.
10. Start engine.
11. Mow

Hope this helps.

engteach64
November 3rd, 2011, 7:06 PM
Thank you so much. I am cutting and pasting this onto my desktop to do this over the weekend. Will post how it went unless it explodes and I'm maimed.

Night Owl
November 3rd, 2011, 7:15 PM
If the latter happens, it was Dave that done it!!!!!:))

CenTexDave
November 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
It is almost impossible to get an engine of any kind to explode.
Tell that to my daughter. :))

circle_c
November 4th, 2011, 7:03 AM
Maybe it's time to return to the old fashion push type mowers. At least it helps work off the Big Mac. Home improvement and exercise at the same time without the mechanical failures of a gas engine.

Ludwig
November 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe it's time to return to the old fashion push type mowers. At least it helps work off the Big Mac. Home improvement and exercise at the same time without the mechanical failures of a gas engine.

Or get a goat, but then watch out for the Muslim at Eid al Fitr time.

sojourner truth
November 5th, 2011, 1:51 PM
Mine did the same thing last year. I tried everything from oil to new plugs. I was ready to shell out the bucks for a new one, and then I looked at the only thing I hadn't looked at yet, The air cleaner. Sure enough, thats what it was. The mower stated off by blowing a little smoke, then a lot of smoke. Then it started running rougher and rougher. Finally, it wouldn't start. Clean filter...voila. Plugs and filters replacements are easily had at Lowes, or even Wal mart. Write down the part number, or take the plug with you. There is a booklet on display that will tell you if your plug is interchangeable with the one on display. Same goes for filters, blades and other accessories.
Anyone out there tired of watching you inground sprinkler system spray more water on the street than the grass? Let me know and I'll tell you how to adjust them, and where to get the tool to do it. ST

engteach64
February 16th, 2012, 5:16 PM
Welll, I ignored my mower all "winter," but now my yard is growing due to all the rain. Darn rain! I pulled the mower out and it still won't work, go figure. I was kind of hoping the lawn mower fairy would have come over the last few months. Does anyone know someone who does lawn mower repair? I think after overflowing the oil I am better off having someone else do this for me. If you know of anyone please send his or her name my way...for that matter, just send him or her!

Night Owl
February 16th, 2012, 9:55 PM
Buy a goat. They will keep the grass down.

Rick
February 17th, 2012, 5:23 PM
Welll, I ignored my mower all "winter," but now my yard is growing due to all the rain. Darn rain! I pulled the mower out and it still won't work, go figure. I was kind of hoping the lawn mower fairy would have come over the last few months. Does anyone know someone who does lawn mower repair? I think after overflowing the oil I am better off having someone else do this for me. If you know of anyone please send his or her name my way...for that matter, just send him or her!
Let me know if you need help. If I can't fix it without much trouble, I have a coworker who will.

engteach64
February 18th, 2012, 6:00 PM
Rick, if you are willing to try your hand at fixing it, bring your wife and kids and I will finally feed you all a meal. Let me know.

Rick
February 18th, 2012, 9:46 PM
Can probably pick it up Monday. We're going to Kingsville to see our son tomorrow

engteach64
February 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
That would be great. If I'm not here the kids will be. I owe you guys a meal, just let me know when you want to collect. Wait. Doesn't this make 2 meals I owe you guys?

engteach64
February 21st, 2012, 6:49 PM
Well, my mower if fixed. It was what you all said, just needed a good tune up. Thanks for all of your advice, and thanks Rick for fixing it for me. I definitely owe you guys a meal or two. :)

engteach64
February 25th, 2012, 1:49 PM
Well, we worked for an hour and a half on our yard today. One patch of grass left in the back yard...you guessed it, be broke or bent the blade. I am officially the killer of mowers. The kids have committed 10.00 each per month to go in on having someone do our yard for us.

engteach64
February 26th, 2012, 7:39 AM
After looking at the blade, I'm thinking it may just be loose. I so am not a yardwork person. If this mower is broken for good, that will be three lawn mowers I have killed...yep, "destroyer of mowers," that is my new nickname. :) Now appliances, I can fix those and keep them alive. :)