PDA

View Full Version : Rangers vs Cardinals

corgifan
October 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Pretty cool that the Rangers make it to a 2nd world series in a row. Not a fan, but don't despise them either. Kind of a nothing team to me, but close enough to travel to to enjoy a good game.

I see the Cards winning in 7.

TheOldProgrammer
October 17th, 2011, 6:46 AM
Not really a fan of either team... Rangers in 6...

:smoke

Night Owl
October 17th, 2011, 7:04 AM
Big Rangers Fan. Rangers in 6.

xzochye
October 17th, 2011, 7:10 AM
Tough Tough choice for me! I hate it when 2 teams I like play each other. However, in this case I think I must stay loyal to my home state. Go Cardinals!

harleygirl
October 17th, 2011, 1:14 PM
Rangers all the way!!!

Ludwig
October 17th, 2011, 2:59 PM
All morning I have heard various members of the Cardinal organization, including players, say that they don't know how the got here. With confidence like that I can't see this series going more than 5 games if they really play baseball. But, since it's all about money they will stretch the season to game 7. OK, I'm a pessimist. At any rate I think I will be able to continue to wear my Ranger hat with even more pride after they take the World Series.

finalbowser
October 17th, 2011, 6:39 PM
I hate the Cardinals. Go Rangers.

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Just give Albert Pujols an intentional walk every time he comes to bat.:)

Ludwig
October 19th, 2011, 1:25 PM
Just give Albert Pujols an intentional walk every time he comes to bat.:)

No way! He strikes out as much as he hits homers. Besides, the Rangers have more than one bat.

corgifan
October 19th, 2011, 1:29 PM
Another reason I don't care much for the Rangers organization (not the players, but management) is that they can't settle on a uniform. I can't stand it when teams endlessly tweak their styles. Ranger Red. Ranger Blue. Make up your mind!

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 2:17 PM
They did make up their mind, just like a woman does!!!!:)

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2011, 3:01 PM
No way! He strikes out as much as he hits homers. Besides, the Rangers have more than one bat.
So does St. Louis. Ever hear of Lance Berkmann?

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 3:40 PM
Yea he is that so so player that was in Houston.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 5:18 PM
Pretty cool that the Rangers make it to a 2nd world series in a row. Not a fan, but don't despise them either. Kind of a nothing team to me, but close enough to travel to to enjoy a good game.

I see the Cards winning in 7.
I was about to give you a "thank you" until your last sentence. :callbs

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 5:19 PM
Big Rangers Fan. Rangers in 6.

I agree.:)

sojourner truth
October 20th, 2011, 9:19 AM
The Rangers have one outstanding problem: starting pitching. Their bats are really "streaky" at times, but can usually pull through in a pinch. Problem is, Ron Washington is too nice a guy and leaves his starters in one inning more than they can handle. Relievers are great (especially now that he got rid of the 2 worst relievers). Wilson, who started last night, is is Jekyl and Hyde. You never know which one is going to show up. He's not their best, and the Card's starter last night WAS their best, so tonights game ought to go better. 6 Games, I agree, but wish it could be over sooner. They surprised me with the Tigers, maybe they will with the Cards. Washington needs to pull his starters at the first sign of trouble, or the 5th inning, whichever comes first. They can't pitch more than 5 without the wheels falling off the cart. Sojourner Truth

Ludwig
October 20th, 2011, 2:33 PM
Ron Washington manages his people with the goal of winning the series, not any one game. I have no doubt that you will see the wisdom of his method in a few more days. After all, tt is a best of seven series.

sojourner truth
October 20th, 2011, 2:57 PM
Man, I sure hope you are right, I don't think I could stand another night like last night listening to my rabid ranger fan wife senslessly shouting at the TV. I have a lot of faith in Rons' ability to bring home the bacon, but there are times when the strategy doen't look good from a fans point of view. I'm just glad the Yankees are watching the series from the house. Well, only time will tell. You have to look at it like this, no matter what the outcome, the Ranger made it farther than rest, and really do look great. I'm sure the off season will see some changes that improve the weak areas. Maybe some color coordination on the uniforms. (Ha)
Sojourner Truth

corgifan
October 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Nice little comeback by the Rangers tonight against the Cardinals' best closer. The red birds need to score, or this will be a short series.
Now it's a best of 5 with the Rangers holding home field advantage.

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM
Wouldn't hurt if the Rangers would score also. Two games, both one run games, and a total of 8 runs scored. Looks like the pitching is gonna dominate this series.

sojourner truth
October 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, it really makes one wonder what happened to the Rangers bats. Pretty good pitching on both sides, but if they can hit some of the Tigers aces for 9 run innings, you'd think they could put the bat on the ball a bit more during the Series. One thing I do know, after the Rangers batters have had a chance to see the opponents pitching, the bats get better. It' almost like they take a few times around the order, and then figure it out. They also have a pretty regular tendency to hit poorly off of starting pitchers. Once they get into the relievers, they cream 'em. Well, it's still early and I have a lot of confidence in Ron Washington and the players. They will improve.

engteach64
October 21st, 2011, 1:12 PM
I am for the Rangers, but since my family is Cardinals I know all their stats and stuff. Wish I didn't. Anyhow, with the momentum the Cardinals have most of the time I can see them winning in 6, but my hopes are that the Rangers win in 5! :)

Night Owl
October 21st, 2011, 3:40 PM
You MUST be one of the THREE!!!!:)

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
After this mess tonight they need to win the next two or they are dead meat going back to St. Louis. One win will not do it.

xzochye
October 22nd, 2011, 11:14 PM
How about that blow out of a game?!?! Cardinal are going to take the series!

Night Owl
October 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
It is only one game.:doh

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
Pujols hits 3 home runs! See post # 8.

Night Owl
October 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Yeppers, I saw him do it, don't need to read the post, but I guess the Rangers didn't. The question is; did he shoot his wad?:)

corgifan
October 23rd, 2011, 3:28 AM
One monster game by Pujols doesn't win the whole enchilada, but CDT is right... The Rangers MUST win both of the next two games in order to have a chance.

I think tonight's game shows that the Kracken has been released. Pujols was swinging the bat like he was in a Home Run Derby competition. I expect a lot more bombs in the next few days.

engteach64
October 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think it was graet for Pujols to get the three home runs. I would hope anyone would do that if they were so close. Up until the 6th inning it was a nailbiter. We were gaining on them. I can't say I've seen so many homeruns, by both teams, in one game before. The game was awesome. I didn't like how the Rangers started giving away runs at the end, but St. Louis surely deserved the win. They worked hard to get it. No we need the Rangers to step up tonight and just walk all over the Cardinals. :) GO RANGERS!!

sojourner truth
October 24th, 2011, 8:09 AM
And they did. FINALLY the Rangers got the starting pitching they have been needing for so long. Hollands' sterling (and not very typical) performance last night was definitely the right thing at the right time. Usually, the Rangers starters are Jekyl and Hyde. Either really good or really bad, and not prone to lasting 6 innings at best. I can't remember the last time I saw one of their starters go 7 innings, much less 8 1/3. It looked like Holland could have made it the entire 9, but Ron Washington did the right thing knowing he made need him in the near future. I only hope the others were taking notes on pitching high and inside from Holland. The Cards are a fastball hitting team, and that is what the Rangers have in the bullpin. I hope some of them learn the value of adding a good curveball in their bag of tricks next year. Holland will get 3 days of rest at best before he may be needed next, and I'm not sure if that is enough. Maybe game 7. Wilson starts tonight, and we all remember game 1.
Now, if the bats can get a bit hotter we'd have it made. Hamilton has a bad groin strain, Beltre has beaten his left leg half to death fouling off pitches, and the other big bats have been in a highly uncustomary slump. Napoli finally seems to be recovering a bit. Funny, isn't it, that the Rangers would have won that game last night with only the first run scored. That after a 16 to 7 loss the night before. Wow, talk about night and day. Hope Wilson took notes and gets it right tonight. Sojourner Truth

xzochye
October 24th, 2011, 8:32 AM
Cardinals will win the series in game 7!

engteach64
October 24th, 2011, 9:04 AM
Hopefully the Cards gave game 3 all they had, and are tired now. Tonight is our last night in Texas, then we go to MO, so we really need to win this so we go into Cards teritory on the upside. We will see.

Night Owl
October 24th, 2011, 9:12 AM
Sticking with Rangers in 6.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2011, 2:43 PM
Just win it baby.

corgifan
October 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Napoli just knocked in two to put the Rangers up 4-2. Looks like the Ranger's night. Rangers in six doesn't sound so far fetched now.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Here we go - top of the 9th. Do it 1-2-3!!!

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2011, 10:37 PM
This reliever better get his head out.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hell dam yes!!!!!:))

Night Owl
October 25th, 2011, 7:25 AM
Yeppers, Rangers in 6 is looking better. The Rangers beat the best pitcher in baseball tonight.

harleygirl
October 25th, 2011, 9:32 AM
Wow talk about the edge of your seat what a game one more baby!!! :)

CenTexDave
October 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Yeppers, Rangers in 6 is looking better. The Rangers beat the best pitcher in baseball tonight.
Have beaten both Carpenter and Verlander (Tigers). Need to blast whoever pitches for the Cards on Weds night. Something like 8-0 after 3 innings. :)

engteach64
October 25th, 2011, 3:36 PM
It was all I could do to stay awake to watch the end of the game, but when they got that double with 2 runs I jumped up from my bed. It was a nailbiter when the Cards had bases loaded...it was such a great game.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2011, 7:44 AM
Tonight's the night - Go Rangers!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:thumbsup

kantwin
October 26th, 2011, 8:14 AM
I think just the first syllable in Rangers will be the only thing going on - Rain.

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2011, 9:25 AM
They can send it here. We'll gladly take it.

TheOldProgrammer
October 26th, 2011, 3:31 PM
Sorry gang but it won't be tonite... Tonite's game has been postponed until tomorrow night due to the forecast of rain through the remainder of the afternoon and into tonite...

:smoke

CenTexDave
October 26th, 2011, 5:52 PM
This shouldn't help, nor hurt any team. Just hope we end it tomorrow night.

Night Owl
October 26th, 2011, 8:16 PM
The Rangers will win tomorrow night.

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2011, 3:44 PM
Here we go, got the popcorn ready to go, earplugs in so as not to hear my wife hollerin' at Washington, and my lucky hat on my head. I never enjoyed stress this much. This is one hard fought series. I depressed myself by realizing that there really won't be much to do but watch hockey ( a sport I have recently taken to) football. No More delays or this may be the first series to go into November.Go Rangers

xzochye
October 27th, 2011, 3:58 PM
I depressed myself by realizing that there really won't be much to do but watch hockey ( a sport I have recently taken to) football.

I wish the NBA would get their act together. I am missing my basketball time! That's one sport I can follow and ALMOST understand everything that is going on and what the refs mean! lol

Night Owl
October 27th, 2011, 4:53 PM
You are one of the few that can do so. The NBA rules seem to be made up depending on who the player is.

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2011, 5:12 PM
I wish the NBA would get their act together. I am missing my basketball time! That's one sport I can follow and ALMOST understand everything that is going on and what the refs mean! lol Never did care for basketball. But I have taken to watching the Lady Bears every year. My wife is a big lady bears fan, so I don't have much choice but to watch that or my old Star Trek DVD's over again. Seems like NBA goes on all year long, and gets boring after 10 or 11 months.

kantwin
October 27th, 2011, 7:29 PM
Here we go, got the popcorn ready to go, earplugs in so as not to hear my wife hollerin' at Washington, and my lucky hat on my head. I never enjoyed stress this much. This is one hard fought series. I depressed myself by realizing that there really won't be much to do but watch hockey ( a sport I have recently taken to) football. No More delays or this may be the first series to go into November.Go Rangers

I believe the 2001 world series ended in November.

sojourner truth
October 27th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Guess it's a good thing the rockies didn't get in or they'd be playing in 2 feet of snow in Denver, ha.

xzochye
October 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
lol! I am dying right now!

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
The Rangers win the prize for the worst bullpen in baseball. This is absolutely pathetic.

CenTexDave
October 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I believe the 2001 world series ended in November.

I remember that one in Cleveland in 1997 where the temps were below freezing and snowing

gnatsum
October 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Welll...

On to Game 7!! (6 went 9-10 in favor of the Angry Birds, in ELEVEN innings!)

xzochye
October 27th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Like i have been saying, Cardinals in 7!

Rick
October 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
What a game! Wow!

Ludwig
October 28th, 2011, 12:01 AM
As I predicted (post #6). I'm not sure I want to watch tomorrow. My nerves are wrecked from today.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 12:31 AM
They should have left Holland in. that bullpen sucked. He used way too many pitchers. Hope they can pull it out tomorrow

sojourner truth
October 28th, 2011, 7:09 AM
Yeah, and they have to face Chris Carpenter tonight, and they haven't figured out how to hit this guy. Matt Harrison has been pathetic at best, so it ain't lookin' good. I have never, in all my years as a Ranger fan, seen them make that many fielding errors in one game. And again, Ron Washingtons hesitancy to pull a struggling starter off the mound until things got out of control cost them. I can't figure him out sometimes. My TV has to be the most shouted at appliance in the house. Pitiful, 2 grown adults shouting at a TV like it was some sort of telecommunication device with a link to the dugout. Well, once more into the breech.

ethelm
October 28th, 2011, 7:16 AM
I really feel Washington lost the game for them. Should have left Feldman in.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 9:05 AM
Holland could have gone 3 innings or so. He has been un-hittable lately (is that a word?? lol):))

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 9:06 AM
Decision time now - do i go watch the Dawgs or the stay home and watch the Rangers???

Night Owl
October 28th, 2011, 9:07 AM
DAWGS!!!!

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I don't know, Owl. Will be cold tonight, and I know Scarlett won't warm me up.:))

sojourner truth
October 28th, 2011, 3:04 PM
Plenty of heat over at my place when the missus starts blowin' hot air at the TV. I'm going to make her watch in the bedroom. Sure hate to see a #9 glossy sticking out of my new 55" LCD. I'm only hoping the bullpin is deep enough to get it done tonight, and tha Ron learned a lesson last night. The starting orders don't look promising for tonight. Sure hope they don't snatch another defeat out of the jaws of victory.

dawglover
October 28th, 2011, 5:10 PM
How about that blow out of a game?!?! Cardinal are going to take the series!

I concur with your first sentence providing your using the term "blow out" means "exciting." That was an awesome game. As to your second sentence: :callbs

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 8:29 PM
Rangers are dead meat.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2011, 8:55 PM
TV just flashed to Washington. You can see defeat in his eyes. He knows he screwed this up.

kantwin
October 28th, 2011, 9:06 PM
Where he screwed up was in the 5th yesterday with the bases loaded and not putting in the pinch hitter for the pitcher.

xzochye
October 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Hey I may have been way wrong in the SHS game but that is A-ok because I sure as hell called the cardinals in game 7!

Rick
October 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry Rangers fans. Trust me, I know how you feel. As a Cleveland "Everything" fan, I truly know how it feels.

Should I reveal the results of the poll? Do we want to know who the three are?

Night Owl
October 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Naw, they will let us know.:)

cnjbond
October 29th, 2011, 4:17 AM
Wow, this has to be one of the hardest pills to swallow as a player to go from 1 strike away from winning the World Series, to losing it all...I hope Nolan can find some good some pitching that doesn't disappear when and if they ever make it to the World Series again...but hey, those Cardinals really showed what it means to never give up, they played a heckuva series!!

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2011, 5:17 AM
Was a good series. but yeah, twice from one strike away. Ron Washington will go down as making huge blunders with his pitching in this one.

cnjbond
October 29th, 2011, 5:34 AM
And let's not forget that half attempt to catch the fly ball in right field at the wall or the short-stop trying to throw to 1st instead of 2nd for the out in game 6...lots of coulda, shoulda, woulda moments that they'll have to try and stomach for a whole year...

Ludwig
October 29th, 2011, 8:23 AM
They did not win the World Series yet the are the American League champs... again. I am proud of them.

Night Owl
October 29th, 2011, 4:18 PM
GO Rangers!!!!

xzochye
October 29th, 2011, 4:42 PM
GO Rangers!!!!

A little to late for that one!

(Honestly, I like the Rangers and hope they have a great season next year.)

Night Owl
October 29th, 2011, 5:46 PM
Even in the off season I am a Rangers fan. GO Rangers!!

It is never too late to encourage your team.

corgifan
October 30th, 2011, 8:37 PM
And let's not forget that half attempt to catch the fly ball in right field at the wall
To me, this was the back breaker moment of game 6 and probably the series. 99.9% of all baseball fans believe that Cruz pulled up out of fear of the wall. He'll have to live with that play forever.

cnjbond
October 30th, 2011, 8:42 PM
To me, this was the back breaker moment of game 6 and probably the series. 99.9% of all baseball fans believe that Cruz pulled up out of fear of the wall. He'll have to live with that play forever.
EXACTLY!!! A Josh Hamilton he is not...I couldn't believe it when I saw him short arm it like that and wince before he even got near the wall!

sojourner truth
October 31st, 2011, 4:59 PM
That was the turning point of the game. It was a sad thing at church Sunday. There are a lot of us rabid Ranger fans and all anyone would say was "I don't want to talk about it". You just know they wanted to vent, but were out of words after debating who was to blame all night, and realizing it wouldn't change the outcome anyway. Next year.