PDA

View Full Version : New 5A District for Next Year

RooDawg
October 15th, 2011, 9:05 AM
After the snapshot was turned in this past Thursday here is my anticipated district for this area:

Killeen
Ellison
Heights
Shoemaker
Belton
Temple
Midway
Cove

I have to admit that this will be one tough district...and definitely an extremely tough district for the KISD schools (although Heights, Ellison, and the Shoe already know that)...and it will be tough for KISD schools in all sports...This probably will not be a fun couple of years for KISD athletics...

onetime
October 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Is there any sport besides the boys basketball teams and maybe the Killeen and Ellison girls teams that will survive?

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
While it's nice to get rid of those long trips to Bryan and College Station, this will be a very weak district overall, and certainly won't challenge the good teams to get ready for the playoffs.

JohnKilleen
October 15th, 2011, 1:02 PM
I dont see how this would be a weak district. I would imagine Temple will soon return to some of their glory times. Bryan is not as strong as they have been, and I believe Concolidated is opening a new hs, which will split some of that talent. Belton can be tough and Midway has been very tough. And while the KISD schools may not be strong, dont count them out.

DiamondKing
October 15th, 2011, 4:25 PM
Why not count the KISD schools out in football when is the last time Shoe, Ellison or Heights have been good?

JohnKilleen
October 15th, 2011, 5:18 PM
The KISD could play the spoiler role in the new district. Heights could improve and the last time KHS was 5A they went several rounds into the playoffs. While I agree none of the KISD schools are going to be state bound in football, they could cause some headaches from time to time for the other guys. I think the most interesting addition will be Midway. They will battle for the top spot.

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Not a weak district?? :))

Here is my predicted order of finish (remember, top 4 go to the playoffs):
Cove
Midway
Temple
Belton
Killeen
Heights
Ellison
Shoemaker

And it will most likely be that order until the next realignment.
But I want to add this - these schools are all fairly close together. And that's how districts should be. This traveling 100 miles to play a district football game is a waste of money and stupid.

pablo.lives
October 16th, 2011, 8:44 AM

Cove
Midway
Temple
Belton
Killeen
Heights
Ellison
Shoemaker

The only thing I would predict differently would be the order of the last two. While both are on elevators, they are each headed in a different direction.

RooDawg
October 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
the top 4 order and the bottom 4 order will be the only changes from year to year...killeen could move in and out from top 4 to bottom 4 but the rest will remain the same...

onetime
October 19th, 2011, 9:50 AM
District 12 (Padilla Poll) Scary scary

Belton
Copperas Cove
Harker Heights
Killeen^
Killeen Ellison
Killeen Shoemaker
Temple
Waco Midway^

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 9:53 AM
Dang, I've seen that list before. Now where was it that I saw this? Will someone help me find where this was posted before?:)

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Belton is not going to beat Cove very often. They have done it, but not repeatedly.
The Padilla poll is about as accurate as Obama's budget. Midway is much better than a last place team.:))

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
After the snapshot was turned in this past Thursday here is my anticipated district for this area:

Killeen
Ellison
Heights
Shoemaker
Belton
Temple
Midway
Cove

I have to admit that this will be one tough district...and definitely an extremely tough district for the KISD schools (although Heights, Ellison, and the Shoe already know that)...and it will be tough for KISD schools in all sports...This probably will not be a fun couple of years for KISD athletics...

You should have listed them in reverse order because Cove, of course, will be on top.:)):)

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Cove
Midway
Temple
Belton
Killeen
Heights
Ellison
Shoemaker

And it will most likely be that order until the next realignment.
But I want to add this - these schools are all fairly close together. And that's how districts should be. This traveling 100 miles to play a district football game is a waste of money and stupid.

I concur except that I would switch Temple and Belton in your order.

xzochye
October 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
You should have listed them in reverse order because Cove, of course, will be on top.:)):)

Enjoy it now dawg because no teams winning or losing streak will last forever.

Night Owl
October 19th, 2011, 1:04 PM
Dawgs WILL live forever!!!!!

and I'm not even a dawgs fan.:)

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 1:43 PM
Enjoy it now dawg because no teams winning or losing streak will last forever.

Oh Yeah? Tell that to the Dawgs. :)):)):)

Ludwig
October 19th, 2011, 1:43 PM
Dawgs WILL live forever!!!!!

and I'm not even a dawgs fan.:)

I hope so 'cause they're good Tiger food. :))

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 1:48 PM
I hope so 'cause they're good Tiger food. :))

Oh yeah! Well check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRsqE5P8Cw :)):)):)

P.S. This is what a dawg thinks of your tiger assertion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIootHXlib8&feature=related :)):)):))

Agent X
October 19th, 2011, 2:07 PM
At least we get to play the games before we just hand the trophy to the Dogs!

I predict Cove will be knocked from their lofty perch in the near future by Temple and Midway. I would also not count out the Roos over the next two years. Their QB will continue to improve and there are some tremendous athletes coming up through the ranks. Heights has players but are poorly coached. Ellison is talent-depleted and will be for awhile and Shoemaker is a big unknown but there are signs of life.

Should be interesting.....

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2011, 3:00 PM
This was supposed to be Midway's year, but they have somewhat disappointed. Temple is close to making a comeback. Killeen should be a factor in any district.
But remove A&M and it should be Cove's district for a long, long time. Their JV teams - and I realize it doesn't mean a thing when they get to varsity - always win district.

dawglover
October 19th, 2011, 3:03 PM
At least we get to play the games before we just hand the trophy to the Dogs!

I predict Cove will be knocked from their lofty perch in the near future by Temple and Midway. I would also not count out the Roos over the next two years. Their QB will continue to improve and there are some tremendous athletes coming up through the ranks. Heights has players but are poorly coached. Ellison is talent-depleted and will be for awhile and Shoemaker is a big unknown but there are signs of life.

Should be interesting.....

Have you been dreaming or smoking the weird weed stuff? :)):)):)):))

onetime
October 19th, 2011, 7:01 PM
Heights has players but are poorly coached.

OUCH:doh

JohnKilleen
October 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
As much as I dont like the Wildcats, I think Temple is starting a major rebuild of their program. Dont count them out. They will replace Cove as top dog....but who knows for sure what the UIL will do when it comes Feb, and what the district may look like.

Agent X
October 20th, 2011, 9:45 AM
Have you been dreaming or smoking the weird weed stuff? :)):)):)):))

No, I'm totally lucid. It's just gets boring when it's all about the Dogs.

OUCH:doh

I think Heights is underachieving. Their offensive line play (though hampered by an ejection and injury) was horrendous against the hapless Eagles. They were undisciplined and they refused to attack Ellison right up the gut where they out-manned and outweighed them by 50# per. That game really could have gone either way if Ellison's coaching wasn't "worser" than Heights.

CenTexDave
October 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Nobody stays on top forever - ask Florida, Texas, Ohio State.
But as long as Jack Welch is the coach at Cove they will be contenders. Whoever finally does replace him will already have a good program in place at the lower school levels and hopefully won't change a good thing.

onetime
October 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
That game really could have gone either way if Ellison's coaching wasn't "worser" than Heights.

OUCH TO THE 2ND POWER:doh:doh

the_holy_roman_emperor
October 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Does Waco Midway have the #'s to go up to 5A? If they are close I figure they would petition UIL to stay a "large" 4A instead of a small 5A. Also there is not gurantee UIL uses geography as a factor in districts, remember KHS was in a district that stretched from San Angelo all the way to Stephenville.

As for Shoemaker, the Wishbone Option offense did not work for Gray and the Wing-T Option offense will not work for Hall. Until the option based offense is abandoned SHS will remain KISD punching bag in football.

RooDawg
October 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Although the "official" UIL enrollment numbers for each classification hasn't been set yet, it is thought to be close to the current limit for 4A at 2065...midway has sent in a number around 2127 i believe which would send them to 5A based on the last realignment...midway will not be able to petition the UIL to stay in 4A with 5A numbers just because...the numbers would have to be below the 4A cap...and of course there would be no guarantee that midway would be in a district with the kisd schools, belton, temple, and cove...but i am sure the UIL, and midway, would rather travel down here instead of traveling to ennis, waxahachie, corsicana, and such...killeen was in a district with stephenville and san angelo this latest realignment because there were no other 4A schools in the area to complete a district (such is the reason for only 6 teams in the district)...district 8-4A was the best the UIL could do as far as getting schools together geographically...

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Midway should have been 5-A years ago. I went up there years ago when my daughter was playing volleyball in 7th grade. The old high school was now the junior high. Huge - bigger than CCHS. I think they hide those kids in their lockers when that attendance day is taken. :))

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Although the "official" UIL enrollment numbers for each classification hasn't been set yet, it is thought to be close to the current limit for 4A at 2065...midway has sent in a number around 2127 i believe which would send them to 5A based on the last realignment...midway will not be able to petition the UIL to stay in 4A with 5A numbers just because...the numbers would have to be below the 4A cap...and of course there would be no guarantee that midway would be in a district with the kisd schools, belton, temple, and cove...but i am sure the UIL, and midway, would rather travel down here instead of traveling to ennis, waxahachie, corsicana, and such...killeen was in a district with stephenville and san angelo this latest realignment because there were no other 4A schools in the area to complete a district (such is the reason for only 6 teams in the district)...district 8-4A was the best the UIL could do as far as getting schools together geographically...
I agree with you, but in reality there is not much difference in the football play between 4-A and 5-A. Lake Travis has been king of the hill in 4-A for years and probably could win a state championship or two in 5-A.
Everyone thought Waco and Cove would dominate 4-A when they dropped. They did up until the State Championship games, but that has been expressed by me on other posts. :)

RooDawg
November 1st, 2011, 9:35 PM
Midway should have been 5-A years ago. I went up there years ago when my daughter was playing volleyball in 7th grade. The old high school was now the junior high. Huge - bigger than CCHS. I think they hide those kids in their lockers when that attendance day is taken. :))

I agree with you Dave...when you go to Midway High School now it looks like a small college campus...

RooDawg
November 1st, 2011, 9:42 PM
I agree with you, but in reality there is not much difference in the football play between 4-A and 5-A. Lake Travis has been king of the hill in 4-A for years and probably could win a state championship or two in 5-A.
Everyone thought Waco and Cove would dominate 4-A when they dropped. They did up until the State Championship games, but that has been expressed by me on other posts. :)

the biggest difference between the two classifications is that there is a cap on enrollment in 4A and there isnt on in 5A...you will always have a small 4A school and a large 4A school when it comes to enrollment but there is a cap on that difference...in 5A, there is a small 5A school and then a large 5A school and then a hugh 5A school...that's when it can get out of hand...

and dave, when waco and cove dropped to 4A they did dominate...at least cove did...going to a state semi-final and a state championship game is dominating...cove went from a small 5A school to a large 4A school...lake travis is a large 4A school and that is part of the reason why you think they could win at the 5A level...if they were a small 4A school, 1) they might not be as good and 2) you wouldn't think that about them...

this enrollment difference is also why the UIL has split the playoffs into two division with big school and small school championships for each classification...

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2011, 4:17 AM
Cove went to two consecutive state championship games in 4-A, Waco went to one.
Southlake Carroll is another school that owned 4-A for a few years, moved to 5-A and didn't skip a beat.

gnatsum
November 2nd, 2011, 8:45 PM
There was talk several years ago of the UIL creating a '6A' classification, or a 'Super 5A', but someone ran the numbers, and trying to create 6A districts from the state's 5A schools would result in some REALLY HUGE districts!
Not sure, but at the time that the 6A notion was first suggested (1980s?), Temple was the ONLY school between Austin and Dallas that would be in 6A!!
6A would be interesting. Wonder if there'd be enough schools to pull it off. I need to get a copy of Dave Campbell's Texas Football to see where the district boundaries would wind up. Would a 6A San Angelo high school be in the same district as Temple...or Odessa?
Methinks that 6A would result in a LOT of long busrides on Friday afternoons in the Texas autumn...

Night Owl
November 2nd, 2011, 8:52 PM
Don't forget El Paso. That would be a weekend trip.

JohnKilleen
November 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well at this time, Temple is hard pressed to stay in 5A let alone be in a 6A district. The mega schools seem to be in the Houston and Dallas suburbs and some of the schools in west Texas and the Valley. There would be way too much travel and probably only a few districts could be created. If they could work out a 6A classification for football only, it might be a possibilty one day.

CenTexDave
November 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
6-A sounds great on paper, but the travel distance would be too great. Also, some of those super large high schools are now smaller because the ISD's built new high schools.