PDA

View Full Version : Paris

Scarlett
October 13th, 2011, 6:19 PM
I am taking a group of my students on a Holocaust trip through Germany, Poland and Austria this summer for 10 days. And since I have so many students going, the tour company is sending me on a training this January. The training just happens to be in Paris.

Sooooo....having never gone there yet, am just wondering from people who have what they thought of Paris? I am excited!!

Night Owl
October 14th, 2011, 7:07 AM
Beautiful city but very very dirty.

mac
October 14th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Scarlett: There's a great new book.....well, kind of new out there by david mccullough (same guy that wrote adams) called greater journey. as you prob'ly already know during the early 1800s tons of american youth (upper middle class) sailed to france for a variety of reasons, generally to further their education or career.....anyway, you'd really enjoy it and it'd give you a huge heads up before you and your students make own trip, in fact, it wouldn't surprise me but what if you didn't make it mandatory reading for your group......mac (these aren't guys like franklin or jefferson or other founders, it's about kids who were high school age......male and female....mac

noone
October 15th, 2011, 3:41 PM
Hey mac - "by david mccullough (same guy that wrote adams) called greater journey"

Just picked up this book after your recommendation. Thanks.

noone
October 15th, 2011, 3:52 PM
I am taking a group of my students on a Holocaust trip through Germany, Poland and Austria this summer for 10 days. And since I have so many students going, the tour company is sending me on a training this January. The training just happens to be in Paris.

Sooooo....having never gone there yet, am just wondering from people who have what they thought of Paris? I am excited!!

I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. Man taking those students takes guts. About Paris - I was so overwhelmed by the history of the city that I think I probably missed more than I saw but I think by picking a few must see places and making sure I had enough time to spend at those places helped. The people, for me, were a true dichotomy, while sometimes so helpful and others very critical because something I did was not the Parisian way. I have traveled around Europe and found the Parisians to be very very snobby in comparison to other Europeans. Sort of an I'm Parisian and you're not attitude.
They did appreciate my weak attempts to speak French and helpful in speaking English but they were brutal if I did not order food or place spoons, etc...in the acceptable Parisian manner. Suggest you buy a French etiquette book and speak to someone from France before you go.

Scarlett
October 15th, 2011, 8:21 PM
Oh I won't be left to my own devices...I will have the tour people with me and they should be helpful since they do this all the time...I know there is one evening that we can have our choice of things to do on our own...and the tower is one of those options. Pretty sure if I go all the way to Paris and don't go up the tower I will regret it. Right?

I LOVE to travel...but I can't afford my hobby. Since I have started teaching I have been blessed to travel to Boston, Philly, DC, Greece, and now Paris and then the Holocaust trip all for free. I have just had to be creative!

liessemsed
October 15th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Do you get to visit Dachau?? Not to sound creepy or morbid, but I've visited there twice, and it was probably the most hauntingly peaceful place I've ever been. I am so jealous that you get to do a Holocaust tour. If you need an assistant, I'd love to help. :)

Enjoy Paris... I loved walking around the park by the Louvre (and the Louvre itself) and Versailles. Gorgeous. I hope to make it back there someday.

Scarlett
October 16th, 2011, 7:47 AM
I have been to Dachau when I lived in Germany...but yes I will be taking my students there. Your assessment of the experience is spot on. Impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't been but totally something everyone who has the chance should do.

Adults are more than welcome to come....you just have to pay! :)

Scarlett
October 16th, 2011, 7:48 AM
Ohh...and both those places are places they will be taking me in Paris!

Ludwig
October 16th, 2011, 5:43 PM
Paris... filthy city populated by filthy snobs... one could not pay me to spend one hour there... but then I'm German... from the Saar so what do I know... I pray for their conversion.

mac
October 16th, 2011, 6:22 PM
really? 'n echte saarlander? be careful those of you who want to talk about france when you talk to ludwig. i've never met a saarlander who didn't despise the french and all things french but on the other hand, i've never met a saarlander who wan't half or quarter french.....in fact, ludwig will prob'ly now call me "sau boesch".....mac

Paris... filthy city populated by filthy snobs... one could not pay me to spend one hour there... but then I'm German... from the Saar so what do I know... I pray for their conversion.

Mr. Lucky
October 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Paris....all I can think about is my pied a terre.

mac
October 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
if you haven't been there before, you might wanna know that walkin' is hugely popular in france and even more so by the parisiens....every morning and week end....generally includes crossin' one of the bridges....and a very light and very long breakfast.....mac

Paris....all I can think about is my pied a terre.

clerial
October 17th, 2011, 3:14 PM
Was there in 85 and it was dirty...back again in 96 and it was much cleaner. Have a Great Time...

JoAnn Purser
October 18th, 2011, 7:18 AM
I am now officially hungry for macarons.

Be sure and have one or two for me.

If you have never enjoyed this treat be sure to take the class by a pastry shop (Laduree') and partake in one of the finest confections in Paris. The fruit flavors are my favorite but you may like salted caramel, rose or coffee. Let me know what y'all think. You may have to stop in the airport and bring a few back for me. :)

dawglover
October 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Great history. Great sites. You must visit the Louvre - a museum palace and one of the finest museums in he world. The food is great. Just be prepared because the French, for the most part, hate your guts because you're an American and they’ll be even more unpleasant to you then New Yorkers. Still, it's worth the trip.

mac
October 18th, 2011, 5:22 PM
i can't hardly believe that Ludwig let me get away with that slur on his......make up....mac

Ludwig
October 18th, 2011, 5:37 PM
i can't hardly believe that Ludwig let me get away with that slur on his......make up....mac

Having been born while the GESTAPO was keen on researching backgrounds, I know my history going back 150 or so years. My daughter was also keen on genealogical research and has taken it back much further. I am glad to report that, although I cannot exclude French blood 100%, there is hardly a chance that I have been contaminated. As to my earlier lack of response, I considered the source... peace out.

kantwin
October 18th, 2011, 7:32 PM
if you haven't been there before, you might wanna know that walkin' is hugely popular in france and even more so by the parisiens....every morning and week end....generally includes crossin' one of the bridges....and a very light and very long breakfast.....mac
Longest volksmarch I did while stationed in Germany was actually in France. It was a 100km volksmarch, in a figure 8 with the start hall in middle - bottom loop was 70km, upper was 30. Start at 8PM, 24 hours to complete it. Only was able to get the 70.
The town's name where it was held was appropriate - Bitche.
And it was. . .

Scarlett
October 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Great history. Great sites. You must visit the Louvre - a museum palace and one of the finest museums in he world. The food is great. Just be prepared because the French, for the most part, hate your guts because you're an American and they’ll be even more unpleasant to you then New Yorkers. Still, it's worth the trip.

Interesting. I have always been treated wonderfully in NYC.

Louvre is already on the list!

Scarlett
December 31st, 2011, 11:23 PM
I leave in 12 days!!!!!!!!
I can't contain my excitement.
(9,991)

CenTexDave
January 1st, 2012, 5:24 AM
Have a nice trip. Filthy city. Smelly people. But enjoy. :)

You retire already??

IronErnin
January 1st, 2012, 9:10 AM
No, she has to go take a class about her upcoming summer trip wherein she'll be taking students to learn about the Holocaust.

onetime
January 1st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Is this a KISD funded trip?

Scarlett
January 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Is this a KISD funded trip?

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Hell no. But it's still free!

I take kids on educational overseas trips through EF Tours. Has absolutely nothing to do with KISD and everything to do with teaching kids history through travel. Fear not, your tax dollars are safe. The tour company is paying for Paris.

mac
January 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
nothing is free. some one is paying for it even if it's the tour company's customers.......just out of curiosity, Scarlett, what's the tour company's name....what does the "EF" as in "EF Tours" stand for?....mac

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Hell no. But it's still free!

I take kids on educational overseas trips through EF Tours. Has absolutely nothing to do with KISD and everything to do with teaching kids history through travel. Fear not, your tax dollars are safe. The tour company is paying for Paris.

onetime
January 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
nothing is free. some one is paying for it even if it's the tour company's customers.......just out of curiosity, Scarlett, what's the tour company's name....what does the "EF" as in "EF Tours" stand for?....mac

TINSTAAFL

mac
January 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
i don't have a clue as to what that means!....mac

TINSTAAFL

sojourner truth
January 1st, 2012, 1:32 PM
Hope Paris has changed since My wife and I made the mistake of taking 2 weeks of vacation to go see the "city if Lights" in 1982. It was the filthiest, stinkiest, rudest place I have ever been in my life. We went to Koln (Cologne) as well, and that was beautiful. Berchtesgarten or Herrenchiemsee are alson tours worth taking. Rome is almost as bad as Paris. Amsterdam, now that was a trip!!!

onetime
January 1st, 2012, 1:44 PM
i don't have a clue as to what that means!....mac

It is an acronym for there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Scarlett
January 1st, 2012, 2:17 PM

Education First

Scarlett
January 1st, 2012, 2:19 PM
It is an acronym for there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Might be onto something. They are paying my airfare, hotels, tour fees, breakfasts and dinners. But not my lunch. That's the one thing I have to pay for. So yep, you are right.

mac
January 1st, 2012, 3:02 PM
sojourner: i had allmost the exact same experience and in the same order...must've been one of those amex or itt tours. you're right, paris was the absolute pits...don't know how it could be so dirty but, historically speaking, it has ALWAYS been filthy....even folks like adams and jefferson commented on it. what really got me was all those goin' ons and filth right out side the vatican itself. i would've thought that Rome or Italy would at lest have it real clean as you prepare to enter enter the vatican and that that some of folks (girls) would've been moved out of the area. i mean, my gosh, it was like a red light area right outside the vatian!....i understand, i guess, that there's nothing the vatican can do about what goes on outside of the vatican but....Rome, itself, sure could....mac

Hope Paris has changed since My wife and I made the mistake of taking 2 weeks of vacation to go see the "city if Lights" in 1982. It was the filthiest, stinkiest, rudest place I have ever been in my life. We went to Koln (Cologne) as well, and that was beautiful. Berchtesgarten or Herrenchiemsee are alson tours worth taking. Rome is almost as bad as Paris. Amsterdam, now that was a trip!!!

Ludwig
January 1st, 2012, 4:56 PM
sojourner: i had allmost the exact same experience and in the same order...must've been one of those amex or itt tours. you're right, paris was the absolute pits...don't know how it could be so dirty but, historically speaking, it has ALWAYS been filthy....even folks like adams and jefferson commented on it. what really got me was all those goin' ons and filth right out side the vatican itself. i would've thought that Rome or Italy would at lest have it real clean as you prepare to enter enter the vatican and that that some of folks (girls) would've been moved out of the area. i mean, my gosh, it was like a red light area right outside the vatian!....i understand, i guess, that there's nothing the vatican can do about what goes on outside of the vatican but....Rome, itself, sure could....mac

Ummm, I thought we were doing Paris, France. How did we get to the whores in Rome?

xzochye
January 1st, 2012, 4:58 PM
I do not care how smelly Paris is, how rude the people are I am still very Jealous of Scarlett. The day I go to Paris it will not be for the people or the smells.

mac
January 1st, 2012, 6:11 PM
yeow, koln really is pretty. my wife is from koln....'n echte rheinlanderin" and it's just great to walk down there by the dom and river....during my tour in berlin, we tried to get to chiemee at least onece every 6 months...just to get away from that closed in feeling that you used to get in berlin....i was generaly able to work it in with a hunting class or skeet tournament. i was both an appropiated funds hunting instructor and usareur naf sponsored skeet shooter....mac

sojourner truth
January 1st, 2012, 6:23 PM
When we went to Paris, ther were sidewalk "relief stations" where modesty was not the order of the day. Ergo sum, the smell.

CenTexDave
January 13th, 2012, 5:44 PM
Waiting for Scarlet's initial report. She probably passed out from the stench. :))

CenTexDave
January 31st, 2012, 5:28 PM
We have never heard from our resident Witch how her trip to gay Paris went.