PDA

View Full Version : New Project

engteach64
September 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I did another home repair. I replaced the pool jet. It was so hard. I had to unscrew the old one and screw on a new one. Whew! I feel that I have really accomplished something. :) I also bought a new chlorine tablet floater (it's a cool duck), and also bought a new thermometer (cool frog). I can now say I've done another project on my home. :)

Night Owl
September 28th, 2011, 1:21 PM
Excellent. What is your next project. Hope it isn't a new roof. That one can take a couple of hours.:)

Ludwig
September 28th, 2011, 2:06 PM
I did another home repair. I replaced the pool jet. It was so hard. I had to unscrew the old one and screw on a new one. ...

See how easy it is when you remember righty tighty lefty loosy. Congratulations. Now you can get the pool ready for over-winter storage.

engteach64
September 28th, 2011, 3:32 PM
The roof was replaced just before I bought the house. They did that for me. Ludwig, does righty tighty lefty lucy work when you are upside down looking into the pool? :-s

Next project...hmmmm, I'm waiting for my 25.00 gift card from Lowe's, so will see what I can do for that. I'm thinking of painting my bedroom, but first I want to tear out the vanity that it built intot he cubby. I hate it, and I hate the mirror. I want to close all of that off as a big walk in closet. I may need a carpenter for that one though. :) Anyone know a carpenter who will work cheap and do a good job? :) I tip in food.

Pool? Over-winter storage? Ummm, I always just put the cover over it and leave it at that. Is there something else I should be doing!?!

engteach64
October 5th, 2011, 8:21 PM
Okay, I want to pain my bedroom. I have been hearing about that new paint that is primer and paint in one. I have primed and painted before, so no big deal. Do I need a primer if I am painting over white walls? Nothing will show through, and it shouldn't change the color I choose. I always thought you were supposed to use primer. Any advice on this? Thanks.

circle_c
October 6th, 2011, 8:24 AM
If it has not been refinished (sanded etc...) or has never been painted, I would not think it necessary. Have Fun

TheOldProgrammer
October 6th, 2011, 8:40 AM
Okay, I want to pain my bedroom. I have been hearing about that new paint that is primer and paint in one. I have primed and painted before, so no big deal. Do I need a primer if I am painting over white walls? Nothing will show through, and it shouldn't change the color I choose. I always thought you were supposed to use primer. Any advice on this? Thanks.

There is always a chance when painting over white walls that the color you've selected could come out a tad lighter than what you wanted... If that's not a big deal, then go for just the paint otherwise, I'd opt for paint and primer in one...

:smoke

engteach64
October 8th, 2011, 9:52 PM
I was thinking paint/primer in one too. I may do that. I want to do just one coat, so I'm not sure. Thanks all.

Oh, while I've got you all let me change topic here...I just realized the fence guys did a horrible job nailing the fence. ALL of the nails stick out on my neioghbor's side of the fence. I think that opens me to a lawsuit if they cut themselves. Isn't there a tool that I can cut the tips of the nails off?

Night Owl
October 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Easier if you just take a hammer and bend the ends over. The tool you are thinks of are called by several names. The ones that come to mind are side cutters and dykes. Electrical pliers will do the job also.

cnjbond
October 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I would call them back out and fix it since the fence should still be under warranty.

Rick
October 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM
If they won't come out, I'll loan you my angle grinder. Just cut them off flush and you'll be all set.

engteach64
October 9th, 2011, 8:30 AM
My realtor is looking for the guys. I called them and the number is no longer in service, go figure. They definitely need to come out and fix it, but if we can't find them it is on me. It isn't fair to my neighbors to have to stay away from the fence line. Rick, I may take you up on that. I will let you know.

circle_c
October 9th, 2011, 8:48 AM
Actually I think Rick has the best idea overall. A long handled pincher like a blacksmith uses would be my other choice but most people don't have this tool laying around. Yep angle grinder.
Just re-read your post, all of the nails? wow! Don't think they new what they were doing to begin with.

THEMEANOGRE
October 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I believe Dremel makes a rechargable rotary tool. With an array of bits, the possible uses of the durn thing are close to endless.

mac
October 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
a dremel will work but an angle grinder will work a whole lot better. if that work crew wasn't a bunch of illegals you oughtta go after 'em eng teach.....they could've set you up for a real catastrophe....both economic and injury. i agree with old programer, prime.....always prime.....mac

THEMEANOGRE
October 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I agree, an angle grinder would be better, but I was thinking about the convenience of cordless over how many feet of extension cords/ airhoses. Plus there is the utility of a Dremel tool once THAT job is completed.

mac
October 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
good point, ogre. there's a lot of job around the house you can use a dremel on that you wouldn't want to haul out the angle grinder for. good point......mac

I agree, an angle grinder would be better, but I was thinking about the convenience of cordless over how many feet of extension cords/ airhoses. Plus there is the utility of a Dremel tool once THAT job is completed.

engteach64
October 9th, 2011, 3:02 PM
I did not hire these guys, trust me if I had they would have worked faster and done a much better job. Hopefully my realtor will be able to find them and get this taken care of. If my son weren't tall enough to see over the fence we may not have ever noticed it until someone got hurt.

Yes, ALL the nails. I was just as shocked as you were. I've never seen such horrible work. They did an excellent job until it came time to put the boards up. Many of the boards are warped too, but they said that was normal. Yeah, for someone doing shoddy work. I'm just not happy. Hopefully we can get this worked out and soon.

Thanks all for your advice. As to the dremel, it probably wouldn't hurt to have one around. My dad used to use his to sand down his teeth if he broke one or something (ewwww). Crazy man, but I love him. :)

cnjbond
October 9th, 2011, 3:43 PM
Warped boards are normal if you use crappy material, which most of the cheap fence contractors use around here. Don't let them off the hook, they need to do it right!

Night Owl
October 9th, 2011, 4:24 PM
You could always ask for volunteers and have cold drinks available for their consumption. Make sure they get the job done before they get too much of the cold drinks.:)

engteach64
October 9th, 2011, 9:30 PM
Well...I think my problem was that I kept feeding them. I was baking, and kept giving them food for a break or for them to take home. My son said they would have finished a couple days earlier if I had quit feeding them. :) Well, I don't think I would want to supply cold drinks for people working on my fence. :) I would feed anyone if anyone wanted to come help. :) Ultimately I want those guys to come back and fix the fence, although I DO NOT want to see the one guy continually pulling his shirt up and rubbing his stomach and chest...GAG!:pukeface:

THEMEANOGRE
October 9th, 2011, 9:44 PM
You could always ask for volunteers and have cold drinks available for their consumption. Make sure they get the job done before they get too much of the cold drinks.:)

Cold drinks DON"T have to be of the "adult beverage" variety. Or for an alternative to scaring up people looking for cheap booze, you could call the local Morman church and ask the missionaries to come out to work. If you don't wish to be preached to, they won't. They'll just work. There is no fee for their services. Although when Mother and I have used their services, we always make a donation of foodstuffs for their apartment, usually fresh fruit. They really seem to appreciate it.

Rick
October 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Oh come on, we're only talking about grinding some nails, a little alcohol can kill the boredom. :))

Engteach, just let me know if you need to borrow the grinder, I think I have two of them that'll make the job go quicker.

I had a Dremel, I now have a Roto-zip. I like it much better. But wouldn't use either for cutting a bunch of nails.

engteach64
October 10th, 2011, 9:25 PM
Thanks. My realtor just wrote and said she gave me the wrong number. She also sent me his email. I sent him an email very strongly informing them to call me asap to fix their mistake. I let them know that it was a lawsuit waiting to happen, and hope they realize that if I get sued, they get sued, and I don't believe in suing. I would make an exception here. :-s