PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR prohibiting teams from greasing bumpers at Talladega:

TheOldProgrammer
September 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Along with changes to the size of the restrictor-plate and the pressure release valves of Sprint Cup cars there is another change mandated by NASCAR that will affect the racing there next month. In the technical bulletin issued to teams this week outlining the changes at Talladega, there was also a note that "the addition of lubricants to the rear bumper cover will not be permitted." To keep the pushing car from spinning out the lead car in the two-car tandems, teams have used everything from grease, to ointment to cooking spray to keep the bumpers from getting locked up when they meet.(Charlotte Observers)(9-25-2011)

Didn't know they were doing this...

So now NA$CAR is advocating spinning the lead car out?

:smoke

mac
September 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
i'm with you on this one.....why on earth would nascar make such a stoopid rule? i'm big on motives, i kind of figure there's a motive for everything someone or something does but just can't find one for this new rule.........unless, they don't like the tandem racing that goes on at these events.....but there's a whole lot better ways to prevent that from happening......mac

TheOldProgrammer
September 25th, 2011, 5:17 PM
That's probably the reason; they don't like the 'tandem' racing... So in addition to this they'also enlarged the restrictor plate and re-engineered the 'pop-off' valve for the cooling system...

Just out of curiosity; what are some of your ideas for preventing this...

mac
September 25th, 2011, 6:18 PM
not sure i have any ideas on how to prevent it. a 6 inch piton or 2 or 3 about radiator level just above the rookie stripe would sure solve it.......seems to me they could do things with foils and spoilers and things like that too that would make tuckin' in to someone's rear a bad thing to do speed wise......

That's probably the reason; they don't like the 'tandem' racing... So in addition to this they'also enlarged the restrictor plate and re-engineered the 'pop-off' valve for the cooling system...

Just out of curiosity; what are some of your ideas for preventing this...

TheOldProgrammer
September 26th, 2011, 3:59 PM
not sure i have any ideas on how to prevent it. a 6 inch piton or 2 or 3 about radiator level just above the rookie stripe would sure solve it.......seems to me they could do things with foils and spoilers and things like that too that would make tuckin' in to someone's rear a bad thing to do speed wise......

Yea, you're first idea is definitely 'over the top' however, you second one is quite doable but NA$CAR seems to take the simplest way and that's restrictor plates and 'pop-off' valves...

To make changes to the spoiler angle, or the shark fin or the front air dam NA$CAR would have to allow teams to test and they don't want to do that because teams would find 'creative' ways to work around those restrictions...

Night Owl
September 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Spins make for a very entertaining race.:)