PDA

View Full Version : Dawgs ALWAYS own the second half (Cove 41, Waco 31)

dawglover
September 3rd, 2011, 9:07 AM
I never get disturbed in the first half knowing that my Dawgs ALWAYS own the second half. That's why they are a perpetual winner - a perpetual powerhouse in Texas High School football. GO DAWGS!

RooDawg
September 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
this came to mind...i have always thought about this...

What if cove had used a spread offense during the time that griffin was playing there?

Cove's offense is very good but there has always been someone to stop them...i hope for the cove fans that they find a way to supplement that running game...it seems, to me, that that is the discussion every year with cove fans...i know some of you guys wish the same thing...sooner or later, during the season, someone is going to be able to stop the run...it will either happen during the district schedule that will keep cove from winning a district title or it will be in the playoffs which will keep cove from either going deep into the playoffs or even winning a title...

I always thought that griffin would have been 10 times more effective in the spread than in cove's current offensive system with all of the other athletes that were available...

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2011, 1:51 PM
Certainly not the discussion every year. Just the past couple. :))
If fairness to the QB, he's had 5 or 6 good passes dropped the past two weeks. A couple would surely have gone for TD's.
Dawgs did run a spread sometimes when Griffin was QB. Did more of it his junior year than when he was a senior.

jimbob
September 3rd, 2011, 2:50 PM
Obviously, some dont know what the spread offense is. Not necessarily run or pass oriented. Cove runs a spread offense and highlights the players' abilities. Griffin passed for over 2000 yards in Cove and ran for over 1500. If a team is pass happy, fans want the run because sooner or later someone can shut down the pass and vice versa. High School teams are made up of the players available, not like college where the colleges recruit to a scheme. Dawgs might not win enough but sure seem to win.

RooDawg
September 4th, 2011, 9:40 AM
High School teams are made up of the players available, not like college where the colleges recruit to a scheme.

Cove has had plenty of players available to not only run a spread offense but also be very successful at it. I was suggesting that griffin would have been more explosive back then in a spread than he already was...maybe he would have done at cove what he is doing now at baylor.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2011, 1:17 PM
Welch didn't want to take a chance for him to get hurt. Also remember, he had two all-state RB's back there with him in Jared Millsap and Troy Vital.

dawglover
September 4th, 2011, 3:09 PM
Certainly not the discussion every year. Just the past couple. :))
If fairness to the QB, he's had 5 or 6 good passes dropped the past two weeks. A couple would surely have gone for TD's.
Dawgs did run a spread sometimes when Griffin was QB. Did more of it his junior year than when he was a senior.

True CTD but I still see Roo Dawgs point. Seriously, a running game, however good, is not going to be good enough. Cove MUST improve it's passing game to win the big one and a little more of the spread offense just might to the trick. I hope Coach Welsh or some of his other coaches read CTT. Their is some good advice here.

onetime
September 4th, 2011, 9:38 PM
Cove does not run a spread offense, there base offense is a pro style formation with some spread formations. There identity begins with the I formation. I agree with Roo, but on differing opinions, IMO I think they could have used him more on the zone read, option game, or the option passing game that is big these days. They did a good job with him though while he was there though just ran into a well coached team at a bad time with good players.

RooDawg
September 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
IMO I think they could have used him more on the zone read, option game, or the option passing game that is big these days. .

I think that is where he would have just overwhelmed opponents during those times...griffin has always been a smart QB and I remember him being a good passer in high school...again, i am just thinking about what he is doing to college teams with his ability to run and throw and what he could have been doing in that type of offensive system against much inferior opponents in high school...

jimbob
September 5th, 2011, 6:58 AM
Griffin passed for over 2000 yards in one season. Cove played for two state titles and when that group were freshmen they did NOT win a single district game. I'd say a heck of a job the 'Dawgs did in turning around that group. Proud of my 'Dawgs and they are one of the best 5A teams in the state and are one of the very smallest schools in 5A. Keep doing what you're doing boys. You will never satisfy the naysayers. You'll never run enough or pass enough. Just keep playing strong. Mary Hardin-Baylor does the same. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. Every player has different strenghts.

dawglover
September 5th, 2011, 9:19 AM
Griffin passed for over 2000 yards in one season. Cove played for two state titles and when that group were freshmen they did NOT win a single district game. I'd say a heck of a job the 'Dawgs did in turning around that group. Proud of my 'Dawgs and they are one of the best 5A teams in the state and are one of the very smallest schools in 5A. Keep doing what you're doing boys. You will never satisfy the naysayers. You'll never run enough or pass enough. Just keep playing strong. Mary Hardin-Baylor does the same. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. Every player has different strenghts.

Hey! Hey! Take it easy pal. You can't possibly be a bigger Dawg fan than me. I think Griffin is the best quarterback to come out of Central Texas and probably in the top two or three in all of Texas High School football. I also think Cove has the best coaches in high school football. But I still think they can get better. I don't think they have yet reached their full potential. That's what this is about. It's not a criticism per se. Rather, it's a desire for them to be the best they can be. In the mean time, you better believe I'm proud of MY Dawgs.

jimbob
September 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
RG3 gets better and better "every" year as time passes. Players move on, they develop, and RG3 has done that and will continue to get better. He did the same in high school. I saw him as a freshman and all along through his senior year. He was nurtured, taught, and groomed. He is an excellent quarterback, and many colleges didn't think he could play that position. Cove coaches believed in him and more importantly, he believed in himself and has proven that he is for real. Go RG3!

CenTexDave
September 5th, 2011, 2:28 PM
Wasn't when they just got to be juniors or seniors either. That JV team when they were sophs went undefeated and won district. They managed to do with with Messrs. Griffin and Brock and Boyce on the varsity at the time.