PDA

View Full Version : DIY Help Please

engteach64
August 14th, 2011, 5:24 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread here. I thought we could use this thread for those of us who need help on DIY projects. I have finished project number one, project locks and knobs. All locks are changed, and all door knobs in the house match. I am ready to move onto another project. I want to change out my kitchen faucet to something no so...how shall I say...UGLY. Is this something I could do by myself? I know I need to turn the water off, and I see where I need to connect, but just wanted some advice on whether this is something I should tackle myself.:?

Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup

mac
August 14th, 2011, 5:36 PM
it's absolutely something you can do yourself and save yourself prob'ly a couple of hundred bucks, at least, too. first thing you gotta do, though, is buy yourself a pair (one) of "channel locks"........i wouldn't get brand name, though.....mac (the instructions on the back will make it crystal clear)

siamcat
August 14th, 2011, 5:50 PM
My husband is the one who does jobs himself.
You can do it yourself ( unlike me who has to say "rightie tightie, leftie loosie" to remind myself which way to go)
He finds a lot of how to videos on-line that are quite good.

mac
August 14th, 2011, 5:55 PM
that's true. just google how to faucet or something like that and you'll have more instruction than you'll ever need but i'm guessin' there'll be very good instruction that come with the faucet to....mac

My husband is the one who does jobs himself.
You can do it yourself ( unlike me who has to say "rightie tightie, leftie loosie" to remind myself which way to go)
He finds a lot of how to videos on-line that are quite good.

mac
August 14th, 2011, 5:56 PM
hey cat....just a thought, plumbing is one of those wierd deals where lefty loosey, rightey tightey doesn't always work......toilets and the like.....mac

dawglover
August 14th, 2011, 6:13 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread here. I thought we could use this thread for those of us who need help on DIY projects. I have finished project number one, project locks and knobs. All locks are changed, and all door knobs in the house match. I am ready to move onto another project. I want to change out my kitchen faucet to something no so...how shall I say...UGLY. Is this something I could do by myself? I know I need to turn the water off, and I see where I need to connect, but just wanted some advice on whether this is something I should tackle myself.:?

Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup

What in the heck is DIY??:?:?:?

engteach64
August 14th, 2011, 6:25 PM
Do it yourself (DIY). :) I also think "lefty loosey, righty tighty. Thanks though, Mac, for letting me know it doesn't work here. I guess next weekend it is changing out the faucet. I feel great after I do a project. It helps having my online advice group. :)

TheOldProgrammer
August 14th, 2011, 6:49 PM
Do it yourself (DIY). :) I also think "lefty loosey, righty tighty. Thanks though, Mac, for letting me know it doesn't work here. I guess next weekend it is changing out the faucet. I feel great after I do a project. It helps having my online advice group. :)

Mac said it doesn't always work that way... In the case of the kitchen sink faucet it does... Shouldn't take more than an hour to accomplish... Don't forget the teflon tape for the water connections and don't over-tighten...

Other good sources of information could be This Old House, Hometime and Ron Hazelton's House Calls...

:smoke

Scarlett
August 14th, 2011, 6:51 PM
I just changed my faucet this week!
OK...maybe it wasn't ME who did it but a friend came and did it. Took one tool and 10 minutes. ;)

Rick
August 14th, 2011, 7:05 PM
first thing you gotta do, though, is buy yourself a pair (one) of "channel locks"........i wouldn't get brand name, though.....mac (the instructions on the back will make it crystal clear)
I disagree. Buy good tools, pay a couple of dollars more, it's worth it. They will last for years, especially when it comes to tools that may be needed to apply a little torque, you need strong tools that are made well.

If a Craftsman breaks, they will replace them. My "hay guy" lost a pair of pliers in the bailer, they broke, when my wife found them in a bale, I took them to Sears and got him a new pair. $17.00 pliers.

xzochye
August 14th, 2011, 7:32 PM
I need to change out my kitchen faucet too. Let me know how it goes! I am always worried about making something worse...lol

THEMEANOGRE
August 14th, 2011, 9:30 PM
What Rick says about tools is right and ALL the better tools have lifetime replacement warranties. The best hand tools I've found are Craftsman, Snap On, Matco and Cornwell. The last three are available from the independent tool guys (tool trucks at garages) You can often find those folks in the phonebook. Chicago Pneumatic and Aro are top names for pneumatic tools. Electrics, of course, Black & Decker, Makita, Skil, Dremel (for power in a hand sized package).

Replacing a faucet, I've never done one myself. But from a few that I've seen who did, it ain't real hard. Just follow the instructions. AMoF, when you go to buy the faucet try to read the instructions while you're in the store. Many folks who work in the hardware sections don't know their 3poc from their elbow but ya just never know.

kantwin
August 14th, 2011, 9:37 PM
Faucets aren't hard. Make sure you know the offset - the distance between the water pipes or handles ( if it's a 2 handle one )

Scarlett
August 14th, 2011, 9:45 PM
The new one I got came with a gasket and didn't need the nasty putty. Seriously looked super easy!
GooGone removed the old putty quite nicely too.

Ludwig
August 14th, 2011, 11:01 PM
... I want to change out my kitchen faucet to something no so...how shall I say...UGLY. Is this something I could do by myself? I know I need to turn the water off, and I see where I need to connect, but just wanted some advice on whether this is something I should tackle myself.:? Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup

For a woman of your age and built, I would suggest a good chiropractor would be in order after you have spent some time under in that cabinet under your sink trying to get that #$%^# nut to get started and banging your knuckles trying to work around the garbage disposal, the drain pipes, and all that junk you keep under the sink and did not take time to take out. Yes, a 15 min. job which most DIY's manage to turn into 1.5 - 2 hours.

THEMEANOGRE
August 15th, 2011, 3:57 AM
Yes, a 15 min. job which most DIY's manage to turn into 1.5 - 2 hours.

Hey, it takes time to consume all that beer! ;)

Mestral
August 15th, 2011, 4:20 AM
Three items I read here that I would say are spot on.

I rarely buy name brand tools, but Channel Locks are one exception. I have broken the cheap ones more than once. (I don't buy good tools cause I can take them back, I buy them cause they don't break in the first place)

Between the lines Ludwig was saying two things:

take everything out from under the counter, that could even remotely be in the way (I would box it up and put it in another room)

give yourself lots of extra time. If you think it will take 15 min, give yourself two hours. After the project is finished you can always use that extra time to relax, but if you are in a hurry ... well, you can do the math.

engteach64
August 15th, 2011, 1:23 PM
Okay, again I think I'm insulted. "A woman of my age and build?" Someone is treading on thin ice here. I might have remembered to move everything out from under the sink.

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2011, 1:46 PM
It is usually a piece of cake. Just give yourself room to work under there.

Night Owl
August 15th, 2011, 2:12 PM
Patience is the key.

dawglover
August 15th, 2011, 2:19 PM
I just changed my faucet this week!
OK...maybe it wasn't ME who did it but a friend came and did it. Took one tool and 10 minutes. ;)

He could work after that? :)):))

circle_c
August 15th, 2011, 4:25 PM
Mighty good advice on this thread. I have learned over the years that channel locks are among a home owners favorite tool along with vice grips. from pluming to whatever, so it pays over the years to buy the best that will last.

engteach64
August 15th, 2011, 5:47 PM
It is usually a piece of cake. Just give yourself room to work under there.

What!?! Another fat joke?:crying

siamcat
August 15th, 2011, 6:01 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2307786_change-kitchen-faucet.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2307786_change-kitchen-faucet.html

One link is just text the other is a video.:)

siamcat
August 15th, 2011, 6:41 PM
Forgot to add you can probably forgo the safety goggles and gloves.

THEMEANOGRE
August 15th, 2011, 7:08 PM
A good pair of safety glasses are never a bad idea. I made three separate trips to the ER for foreign objects in the eye while I was on active duty. The AF is incredibly anal vis a vis safety, but when it comes to protecting the eyesight, I don't have any problems with it. Don't learn about vision safety the hard way.

siamcat
August 15th, 2011, 7:42 PM
A good pair of safety glasses are never a bad idea. I made three separate trips to the ER for foreign objects in the eye while I was on active duty. The AF is incredibly anal vis a vis safety, but when it comes to protecting the eyesight, I don't have any problems with it. Don't learn about vision safety the hard way.

I agree, I just think changing a faucet will not pose a risk to your eyes. Maybe I'm wrong.

engteach64
August 15th, 2011, 7:52 PM
I actually bought a cute little tool kit, and it contained a pair of safety goggles. Face up to the "sky" and I will wear the goggles. That is if I can my aged self and bad build under that sink.

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2011, 9:48 PM
What!?! Another fat joke?:crying

Not at all. Just meant to clean out under the sink because if you have a garbage disposal under there too it can be cramped.

engteach64
August 15th, 2011, 9:56 PM
Dave, I was just kidding. I am not that think skinned. :) I know that is what you meant.

Rick
August 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Should I make a DIY section in the "Home and Garden" section?

circle_c
August 16th, 2011, 5:23 AM
Would be a useful section if people stay on subject.

THEMEANOGRE
August 16th, 2011, 5:23 AM
Sure, why not!:-)

Diablo
August 16th, 2011, 6:30 AM
I agree Rick, good tools are a must. Bust a few knuckles and you will agree too. As for the faucet, get a faucet wrench ( looks like a C on the end of a long rod with a T handle). Makes getting to water lines behind the back of the sink much easier. You don't have to shut all water off, you should have shut offs under the sink. Becarful with them, if they are old sometimes they don't work. Then they need to be replaced too.:)

kantwin
August 16th, 2011, 6:43 AM
I agree Rick, good tools are a must. Bust a few knuckles and you will agree too. As for the faucet, get a faucet wrench ( looks like a C on the end of a long rod with a T handle). Makes getting to water lines behind the back of the sink much easier. You don't have to shut all water off, you should have shut offs under the sink. Becarful with them, if they are old sometimes they don't work. Then they need to be replaced too.:)
Then you DO have to shut off the house water. . .

engteach64
August 16th, 2011, 7:07 AM
I do have shutoffs under the sink, and actually soft "pipes." They are white. Thanks for the advice on the tool.

Rick, as I will be doing a bunch of DIY in the near future I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a section on this. I am getting lots of helpful advice here.

Rick
August 16th, 2011, 7:29 AM
Rick, as I will be doing a bunch of DIY in the near future I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a section on this. I am getting lots of helpful advice here.
Done! Let me know if you want some changes.

mac
August 16th, 2011, 11:39 AM
your water pipes to the faucets are pvc and not copper?.....mac

I do have shutoffs under the sink, and actually soft "pipes." They are white. Thanks for the advice on the tool.

engteach64
August 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Not even PVC, but soft hoses. I was a bit surprised, but they are brand spanking new.

cnjbond
August 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Does it look something like this?

Rick
August 16th, 2011, 3:01 PM
It sounds like PEX tubing. I used some when I replaced one of my hose bibbs recently.

Sharkbite, sold at Home Depot, and Gatorbite, sold at Lowes makes some and with their special fittings, are very easy to work with.

Night Owl
August 16th, 2011, 3:50 PM
Do not over tighten the fittings under the sink. Finger tight plus half a turn with a wrench is about right. Over tightening will cause problems down the road.

mac
August 16th, 2011, 5:13 PM
forgot to mention teflon tape to you when i suggested a pair of channel locks. get a roll and use it. 5 or 6 wrappings a fitting will do it....mac (wrap it the same direction the male threads go)

Do not over tighten the fittings under the sink. Finger tight plus half a turn with a wrench is about right. Over tightening will cause problems down the road.

engteach64
August 16th, 2011, 5:31 PM
Oh my gosh! All this advice makes me think I can do this. I am anxious to try. :) Will let you know how it goes. Thank you all so much for you help. I will be posting my next DIY soon. :)

engteach64
August 19th, 2011, 9:06 PM
Okay, going to Lowes (my favorite store now) in the morning to find my kitchen faucet. It I find one I am happy with (and can afford) I will begin my project. I will be sure to go back and check all of your advice and make sure I have the correct supplies. I will also clean out under the sink. Wish me luck, I will need it.

mac
August 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
don't forget the teflon tape, it sounds minor but lack of it can really mess you up....mac

Okay, going to Lowes (my favorite store now) in the morning to find my kitchen faucet. It I find one I am happy with (and can afford) I will begin my project. I will be sure to go back and check all of your advice and make sure I have the correct supplies. I will also clean out under the sink. Wish me luck, I will need it.

engteach64
August 20th, 2011, 4:08 PM
I got the faucet. I asked for help, and two young men helped me. Then an older lady who worked there helped. Did you know that on the back of the box it tells you exactly what you need to put in the faucet? I didn't. :) I am anxious to get my new faucet in. It is the only faucet that is still the 1980s style.

Oh, and yes, I got the tape. :) I will remember to turn off the water. :) I will clear out underneath the sink (it could use a good cleaning anyhow), and I will be sure not to over tighten. :) Thanks again all.

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 1:12 PM
WooHoo! Faucet is installed. Step 1: Take everything from under the sink...I found that I have 2 fire extinguishers under there, and backyard bug spray (how did that get there?). Oh, and don't drop the flashlight on your face...I may have a bruise tomorrow. Step 2: Turn off the water. Step 3: Take old faucet out. Nightmare! I shouldn't have washed my hair first, I could have saved water. Not too much water left in the pipes, but what there was is now in my hair. This was the longest process since whoever screwed on the plastic pieces underneath put them on tight. Step 4: Yell for son. Step 5: Son takes over with the brute force stuff. Step 6: Put new faucet in place. Very easy. We looked at the instructions for the first piece, and didn't need them from there. My son did the brute force stuff, and I did the odd angle stuff. It was funny seeing my 6'8" inch son crammed up under the sink. He had to get tough to get the hot/cold hoses back on. Step 7: Turn on hot...check for leaks...Turn on cold...check for leaks. Dry everything off, and do it again. Sept 8: Walah! No leaks and beautiful faucet!

I now have a beautiful faucet that has the sprayer on it, and a pump off the side for dish soap. No more soap under or on the counter. I love it. I'm so proud that my son and I did this job.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for your help...even though no one said "don't drop the flashlight on your face," but that is okay. :)

Thanks again everyone! You all rock.

circle_c
August 21st, 2011, 3:25 PM
Yea! you have now earned your masters degree in home faucet installation. Bravo, good job.:dancing2

THEMEANOGRE
August 21st, 2011, 4:10 PM
You're welcome for the advice. Sorry about the flashlight in the face. I thought everybody used the B&D Snake Light.

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 4:20 PM
Okay, now what is the B & D Snake Light? :-s

Mestral
August 21st, 2011, 5:14 PM
Black and Decker Snake Light. Long flexible flashlight that can curl around your neck.

My wife loves it, but I prefer a headlamp. Much neater and smaller, and wherever you look, there is the light.

There is (well, it was there last month, when I looked) an inexpensive headlamp by the checkout at Wal-Mart. About $7. We always forget the most obvious things (like light).

Night Owl
August 21st, 2011, 5:20 PM
Congratulations. Got the faucet installed, great. And................you got your hair cleaned three times in one day!!!
:thumbsup

Ludwig
August 21st, 2011, 5:22 PM
Congratulations... I had no doubt you could do it... what's your next project?

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 6:18 PM
What!! I have to do another project!!:wacko:

Ludwig
August 21st, 2011, 7:48 PM
Well... no one said you HAVE to do another one. But I know you own a home and all homes are like all of us... imperfect. So I figured that you would not be satisfied short of perfection... ergo another project.

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 8:18 PM
I'm thinking of tackling painting next. I'm not a good painter, but will try to do my best. Hmmm, paint party at my house?

Night Owl
August 21st, 2011, 8:19 PM
Food/drink?

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 8:31 PM
Hey, if you come paint my walls I will feed you like you've never been fed before. Drink? No booze, I want good painting, but lots of tea or pop. :) Of course I don't know my paint colors yet. :)

Ludwig
August 21st, 2011, 9:07 PM
Here are some thoughts to get you started:

Costs will depend on price and quality. Choosing mid- to upper- grade paint, expect to pay in the area of $450.00 in paint alone for a 2000 sq. ft. house. Add another $150 to $250 in brushes, rollers, pans, tape, and other materials. Not all paints are equal. Some truly cover with one coat, some say they do but don't. Your costs will double if you have to apply two coats to everything, so buying the cheaper paint might cost more in the long run. You can generally go cheap on primer, expensive on top coats.

Plan for time to move furniture, wall prep, cut in, the painting itself, eating and breaks, and don't forget cleanup and bringing furniture back in. As you plan, err on the side of caution. Unforeseen events will slow you down, so allow time for these. This is a multi-day project. It can easily take a team of five people a full ten days to paint a two-story (approx 2000 sq. ft.) home. Don't try to fit too much into a day. If you move faster than planned, great!

Scarlett
August 21st, 2011, 9:21 PM
My daughters rooms were both done a couple weeks ago. Paint for two bedrooms was under a hundred bucks. We did one room one day and one the next! Amazing the difference.

engteach64
August 21st, 2011, 9:42 PM
I really want to paint the kitchen yellow to brighten it up, but I have two issues. The area for the eat in kitchen has panneling on the lower half. I hate panneling. I want to take it out. I also have a cabinet that hangs over the peninsula and blocks the light, and I want that out, but it is an "L" shaped cabinet which means I'd have to cut it. I am contemplating it, but am still thinking. I know I want my bedroom blue since my curtains are blue, and cost too much to get new ones. :) Other than that I just have paint cards hung around trying to figure out my colors. My son definitely wants to change the color of his bathroom (deep dark red). We definitely need to brighten that room up, but with a yellow toilet and bathtub we have to be careful not to totally naseate (sp) our guests.

In New York I decided to tackle removing wall paper and painting. It took forever! I felt great when finished, but it was a nightmare. Painting scares me sometimes because I tend to get in a hurry, and have to slow it down. I want to do a good job on this house. Every time I do something I say, "Will this help sell the house some day?"

If only I could afford to redo the kitchen. I'm thinking save, save, save, don't eat, and work summer school for about a decade. Then I can redo the kitchen. :)

Rick
August 21st, 2011, 9:49 PM
Good job with the faucet. We all knew you could do it.

THEMEANOGRE
August 22nd, 2011, 6:58 AM
With painting, to help get rid of the odor, cut a large citrus fruit in half. Place each half in opposing corners. Leave for a couple days. Then dispose.

mac
August 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
you may want to reconsider tearing that wainscot out....it adds to the value of the house and it will protect your sheet rock from chairs banging into the wall. give martha stewart a good look on your paints. i know that sounds silly but my wife swears by her paint and she does all the painting in our home (i do the exterior, she does the interior. also, remember, there's 2 kinds of brushes, cheap and wose than worthless and expensive good ones that you will want to clean and keep....mac

I really want to paint the kitchen yellow to brighten it up, but I have two issues. The area for the eat in kitchen has panneling on the lower half. I hate panneling. I want to take it out. I also have a cabinet that hangs over the peninsula and blocks the light, and I want that out, but it is an "L" shaped cabinet which means I'd have to cut it. I am contemplating it, but am still thinking. I know I want my bedroom blue since my curtains are blue, and cost too much to get new ones. :) Other than that I just have paint cards hung around trying to figure out my colors. My son definitely wants to change the color of his bathroom (deep dark red). We definitely need to brighten that room up, but with a yellow toilet and bathtub we have to be careful not to totally naseate (sp) our guests.

In New York I decided to tackle removing wall paper and painting. It took forever! I felt great when finished, but it was a nightmare. Painting scares me sometimes because I tend to get in a hurry, and have to slow it down. I want to do a good job on this house. Every time I do something I say, "Will this help sell the house some day?"

If only I could afford to redo the kitchen. I'm thinking save, save, save, don't eat, and work summer school for about a decade. Then I can redo the kitchen. :)

cnjbond
August 22nd, 2011, 1:06 PM
also, remember, there's 2 kinds of brushes, cheap and wose than worthless and expensive good ones that you will want to clean and keep....mac
Wouldn't that be 3 kinds?

kantwin
August 22nd, 2011, 1:15 PM
Not the way I read it -
1. Cheap and worse than worthless.
2. Expensive good ones.

TheOldProgrammer
August 22nd, 2011, 3:31 PM

Agreed...
1) Cheap
2) Worse than worthless
3) Expensive good ones

:smoke

engteach64
August 22nd, 2011, 5:43 PM
Mac, can I borrow your wife? :)

Rick
August 22nd, 2011, 6:17 PM
you may want to reconsider tearing that wainscot out....it adds to the value of the house and it will protect your sheet rock from chairs banging into the wall.
If it's like our house, there's probably no wall texture behind it either.

engteach64
August 22nd, 2011, 6:33 PM
Fine...I will kilz it and paint it. I just wanted to do one color, but will have to do two with such a drastic change in texture.

mac
August 22nd, 2011, 7:27 PM
use blue or green tape to paint that chair rail, you have to cut it in. most wainscots are in a woody color....brown, tan.....something like that....but in any case, make sure you "cut it in" or mask it....mac can't give you the old lady, she has edging on wednesday and mowing on thursday

Fine...I will kilz it and paint it. I just wanted to do one color, but will have to do two with such a drastic change in texture.

engteach64
August 25th, 2011, 6:42 PM
I think the next project I am going to do is build a new deck off my back porch.

NO! I'm just kidding. Thanks again everyone! You are now my DIY advice group.