PDA

View Full Version : Sick elderly cat

87Roo
August 12th, 2011, 7:08 PM
Hoping Mr Brad can get back to me ASAP... An elderly cat has begun starving itself. No changes in diet, no changes in environment, just won't eat, but will drink water occasionally. Passing urine, but no stool, obviously, and will only eat 1 maybe 2 treats a day. There are no outward signs of any problem, other than a change in behavior. She's almost 12, I think. Parents cat, not mine, although I've lived with them for the past several years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ludwig
August 12th, 2011, 7:30 PM
I'm not a vet. so take this with a grain of salt from someone who has had cats in his life for over 55 years. If that cat is lethargic and refuses to eat for more than a day or so, or has had repeated episodes of unproductive retching, you should consult your veterinarian without delay. It's possible that a hairball, instead of being regurgitated, has passed from the stomach into the intestine and is creating a potentially life-threatening blockage somewhere within the digestive tract. Diagnosis of intestinal blockage is based on physical examination, blood work, radiography and a history of the animal's pattern of hairball regurgitation. If a blockage is detected, surgery may be the only way to remove the hairball. More often, therapy will center on protecting the intestine through several days of clinical care that includes intravenous re-hydration and the use of a laxative to move the hairball through the digestive tract. This extended supportive care can cost between $300 and $400. I guess that your parents have a decision to make. Good luck.

siamcat
August 12th, 2011, 7:39 PM
I had a cat that had the same problem. All that was needed was an enema and mineral oil as a follow up.
He was younger though, so I'm hoping that's all it takes.
Wishing your parents luck.

87Roo
August 12th, 2011, 7:48 PM
Thank you so much for your quick responses... I know that a vet trip is the way to go, just don't know if I can get them to do it. Problem is, I know my dad is soooooo attached to this cat (he'd NEVER admit it), yet due to his raising on a farm, his way of thinking is... well, you can guess. Me, I'm having a tough time. He may be toughened from those farm days, but I can guarantee that he'll cry his 70 year old eyes out if she dies and he didn't do anything. Time to pull at his heartstrings. I'll keep you all updated. I'm sad. Poor cat looks miserable.

Scarlett
August 12th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hmmm....my dad is farm raised as well. His answer would involve a trigger and a bullet. :(
BUT, he has a soft spot for some of those critters.

I say, knowing your dad, pulling the heart strings is a good idea. I'll text him too...lol.

corgifan
August 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
12 years old is not old for most cats. 15-17 I'd be concerned about diseases of age, but not 12. Get fluffy evaluated ASAP.

THEMEANOGRE
August 13th, 2011, 9:43 AM
We had a cat in the 15-16 y.o. range that developed tumors in her throat. I would have the vet give her a thorough examination.

87Roo
August 13th, 2011, 5:49 PM
Turns out she was in pretty bad shape. Kidney/liver failure & abscessed teeth. We had to put her down. For the best for her... For me, not so much. Thanks to all of you for listening.

siamcat
August 13th, 2011, 6:11 PM
I'm so sorry.

Ludwig
August 13th, 2011, 9:02 PM
87Roo, I'm sorry to hear that you and your dad had to lose your good friend.

Night Owl
August 14th, 2011, 1:44 PM
Sorry for your loss, pets are special.