PDA

View Full Version : Any Harker Heights HS Football Predictions?

corgifan
August 5th, 2011, 5:34 PM
What can we expect this year, besides a decent halftime show? (Gooooooo BAND!!!!!)

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 5:55 PM
Heights is starting to come around but the campus which is strange has a feeling of entitlement which is odd because the school isn't an affluent school.

I think the problem occurs because their feeder schools have the largest number of kids per campus and when these schools go out with 40 or 50 on there A Team and stomp rancier, fairway, and a few others by 6 and 7 touchdowns they develop no sense of urgency or hunger.

I don't think the HHHs coaching staff does a good job (lately of destroying this sense of entitlement)

I would also like to point out the lack of minority coaches there which IMO might have something to do with not being able to identify with some of the kids there. To date I believe they have one minority maybe two on the campus. 60 percent of the campus is minority.

To finally answer this question i think heights will have a another ho-hum year this year going 3-7 or 4-6

Beating the likes of shoemaker, Ellison, belton and hopefully a game or two of there non district games

Night Owl
August 5th, 2011, 8:12 PM
Why must the race card be tossed out? Makes everything else you post mean nothing.

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 8:35 PM
Why must the race card be tossed out? Makes everything else you post mean nothing.

IS IT A FORUM? Forums are used for people to voice their opinions for change while you may not agree with it does it make them wrong or require one to think about the issue and say there just might be something to that.

I would like to first point out that is not a factor for me and my life for I am not on the minority. With that said, being a killeenite has given me the opportunity to grow up and befriend a multitude of races.

I think it is interesting when hs staffs with 40% to 80% of the students athletes that they serve have zero minority coaches on their football staff. How does a Mexican, Asian, or black kid relate to an entire coaching staff that has had very few experiences that they can share.

If the coaching staff was all black when I was in school I think I would have thought the same way.

Ludwig
August 5th, 2011, 9:05 PM
A good coach is a good coach without regard to his genetics. There are many excellent Europoid coaches coaching African-American majority teams in all sports; as there are excellent African-American coaches leading predominately Europoid teams. I do not believe that race is that much a factor among true athletes.

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 9:12 PM
Please give me some instances where an all white or black staff has been successful coaching a group of athletes of another race, key word all in the last 15 years. Not professional or the collegiate level because that isn't happening.

The best coaches understand this and aren't naive enough to think that it's just about what occurs on the field.

Night Owl
August 5th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Every problem we have must be because of the color of ones skin. A person can perform their best because of the color of someones skin. What a flippin' sorry excuse that is.

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Your turning an observation into a problem concerning race. I also notice that you have not answered the question I asked you earlier.

RooDawg
August 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Let's take a look at Heights' schedule...

@ Georgetown...heights beat georgetown last year and i think will beat them this year
vs Vista Ridge...loss to them last year...i believe the same result
vs Killeen...lost to them last year...as much as i hate to say it might take the win this year
vs Shoemaker...beat them last year and will probably beat them again this year
@ Belton...had a real good chance of beating Belton last year in Killeen but will probably lose to them at belton
vs Temple...should beat Temple this year although temple will be much better than last year's team
vs Ellison...i can see this being a really important game but heights will come out on top
vs Bryan, @ Consol, vs cove...i see these as being loses for the heights to end the season...i will say that there is a possibility that heights could upset one of them (Bryan) at home...

I can see heights finishing 6-4 (4-3 in district) and possibly make the playoffs...the Bryan and Cove games will be the games that determine that fate as long as they beat the shoe, ellison, and temple.

corgifan
August 5th, 2011, 11:09 PM
An opinion and a correction.
In football, at least in this town, a coaches' race has no bearing on the performance of his team.

As far as this statement: "I think the problem occurs because their feeder schools have the largest number of kids per campus and when these schools go out with 40 or 50 on there A Team and stomp rancier, fairway, and a few others by 6 and 7 touchdowns they develop no sense of urgency or hunger."
The reason that a team from Eastern Hills and Union Grove have such large A teams is because so few of their kids fail out. Nothing to do with school population size.

onetime
August 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
If you say so, but I don't think rancier has had a 120 man squad at the start of the season in about 15 to 20 yeard

RooDawg
August 6th, 2011, 9:28 AM
The reason that a team from Eastern Hills and Union Grove have such large A teams is because so few of their kids fail out. Nothing to do with school population size.

That's not entirely true...grades do present a problem...maybe more so at different schools...but i can guarantee that Union Grove and Liberty Hill start out with HUNDREDS more students than Rancier, Fairway, and many other middle schools...KISD has split the middle schools into divisions for their football schedules in order to combat this problem...if you look at the last couple of middle school football championship games you will notice a LARGE school team facing a SMALL school team...

onetime
August 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Corgi to go a little deeper into my point I watched union grove hang about 50 points in 2 or 3 quarters against one of these smaller schools.

True grades serve a factor but again rancier isn't losing 100 kids to grades and union isn't losing 5 to 10.

There are games I've seen where the Roos are playing with zero kids on the sidelines, how is that even possible?

So once these kids get to the HS LEvel they just expect to keep winning and dont put the work in thats necessary to beat the coves or Bryan of the district or even Killeen high where the kids have a completed different perspective

corgifan
August 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Point conceded about middle school population size. Perhaps the district should consider breaking the middle schools down into two divisions based on population size.

Back to the original question, I'm glad that some believe that HHHS will rebound this year. And when they're sweating their butts off in the wonderful warm balmy weather we're going to have from now until Christmas I guarantee they won't be thinking about how they're entitled!

gnatsum
August 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Oh, to live in a small town or city not near a military base, where it's generally expected that the kids in the middle schools WILL be there to play for the high school when they reach that age, and not be attending some school in another state because a parent got new orders.

Then again, pity the Six-man or 1A high school coach who sees what talent is coming up in the middle school in that district...and realizes that his varsity ISN'T going to have very many victories in upcoming seasons, without a miracle or two...or three...or four...

onetime
August 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Point conceded about middle school population size. Perhaps the district should consider breaking the middle schools down into two divisions based on population size.

Back to the original question, I'm glad that some believe that HHHS will rebound this year. And when they're sweating their butts off in the wonderful warm balmy weather we're going to have from now until Christmas I guarantee they won't be thinking about how they're entitled!

Have you seen entitled kids practice? Or even in a class room it's a bit different from those who are hungry.

Those who are entitled work as hard as they have to, they are happy with being the best 2 technique or Z.

Those that are hungry want to be the best "player" in the state regardless of position. While that isn't always the extreme, I think these types of kids transcend an area.

I think coach has done a job well done so far but I think this year will be the litmus test on how well that program is Going to do.

I still give them about 3 or 4 wins

Unlike Roodawg I can't see them beating the likes of cove, Bryan, or consol because all of those schools will have something to battle for.

Belton is in a similar situation as heights now without ash but I can't give them the win. Because it's turning into a good program

Temple and shoe are in odd positions because they have new coaches coming in with temple in particular having a proven coach that has had success. While shoe should have the talent to compete I see both of the games being close.

They will not beat Killeen it'll be tight but the Roos will pull it out.

They beat whoever they play first and lost to del Valle

Ellison will be a toss up because they squander talent better then any team you could think of.

Wing T? What a joke

onetime
August 6th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I missed your point here gnat

corgifan
August 6th, 2011, 6:46 PM
Yikes... Hung up on that entitled theory!

Iteachtoo
August 6th, 2011, 10:17 PM
If you say so, but I don't think rancier has had a 120 man squad at the start of the season in about 15 to 20 yeard

This is very true. I believe our entire school count last year was 780. I know UG has at least 1000.

Iteachtoo
August 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM
This is random, but I once heard someone say that it was hard for an affluent school to win a state championship because they had nothing to prove like poorer schools did. Someone sure forgot to tell Lake Travis that.

Okay, now back to the regularly scheduled topic.

RooDawg
August 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
This is random, but I once heard someone say that it was hard for an affluent school to win a state championship because they had nothing to prove like poorer schools did. Someone sure forgot to tell Lake Travis that.

Anyone who said that has no idea what they are talking about...I can name several schools including Lake Travis...Westlake, Highland Park, Plano, and I cant think of any more...

RooDawg
August 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I will say this though...Harker Heights is no where near the affluent status as those schools are...not even close...

Iteachtoo
August 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Oh, I know that and I had forgotten about Plano. I think they always had a team in the playoffs. I did not agree with that statement, I have seen too many affluent schools win state.

onetime
August 7th, 2011, 1:35 AM

Who made that statement? Heights is even remotely affluent, not even near the discussion of affluent schools.

tk4790
August 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
You have to be a true believer....We're going to STATE!!!!!!!:)

CenTexDave
August 7th, 2011, 1:09 PM
And I've seen a lot of the affluent schools not win state. Remember, Westlake played in Region IV - always the weakest region in the state. They win big in the playoffs, then get to the semis and usually fail, but have caught a better opponent who is having an off day and win.
You call Stephenville and Brownwood affluent schools? It ain't 5-A, but they controlled 4-A and 3-A for a long time.

onetime
August 7th, 2011, 2:46 PM
Brownwood and Stephenville are not affluent schools pal.

RooDawg
August 7th, 2011, 7:38 PM
You call Stephenville and Brownwood affluent schools? It ain't 5-A, but they controlled 4-A and 3-A for a long time.

Now those are some great high school towns...those are great places to see a high school game...not too comfortable to go and play there though.

dawglover
August 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
"Any Harker Heights HS Football Predictions?"

Yeah. They get whopped by Cove - again.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Heights usually plays Cove tough. Think this year will be the same, but the Dawgs will win.

Night Owl
August 9th, 2011, 2:37 PM
"Any Harker Heights HS Football Predictions?"

Yeah. They get whopped by Cove - again.

I was gonna say that!!!!!:))

dawglover
August 9th, 2011, 8:02 PM
Heights usually plays Cove tough. Think this year will be the same, but the Dawgs will win.

Of course. I mean, is the Pope a Catholic? Is water wet? Is Obama a Marxist? :)):))

Night Owl
August 9th, 2011, 9:19 PM
I predict that the combined records of the 4 Killeen schools will be an overall losing record. Doesn't say much for Killeen football.

dawglover
August 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I predict that the combined records of the 4 Killeen schools will be an overall losing record. Doesn't say much for Killeen football.

Aw, com'on now. I think they are great losers.