PDA

View Full Version : Men of the forum...I get it!

engteach64
August 4th, 2011, 1:23 PM
I've always heard about guys wanting huge televisions and power tools. I always thought that was so silly. Well, I got a new tv, and it is huge. I get it! I love being able to see what is actually going on on the television. When my Astros or Suns play I can actually see their faces. I get it!

My son had the chain saw out to cut apart a tree that was cut down a while back, and asked it I wanted a go at it. I said sure. I get it! I was so empowered with that chain saw! I tore that tree up! Okay, I tore up those four branches I cut off, but I get it!

Men of the forum! I get it! I appologize for my years of thinking power tools and large televisions were just a silly waste of money. I get it! :) I think I need to go buy me some power tools and start a home repair!!!!

;);)

cnjbond
August 4th, 2011, 1:41 PM
I just shed a tear at my desk, followed by a "Tim the Tool man grunt"...thank you!!!

Ludwig
August 4th, 2011, 2:03 PM
I will always remember and commemorate August 4th, as the day a woman I know finally "got it". Now I'll go out and crank up my chain saw just to hear the music... might as well cut down some of those pesky bushes while I've got her running... naw, it's too damn hot.

RockinRita
August 4th, 2011, 2:12 PM
I will always remember and commemorate August 4th, as the day a woman I know finally "got it". Now I'll go out and crank up my chain saw just to hear the music... might as well cut down some of those pesky bushes while I've got her running... naw, it's too damn hot.

Night Owl
August 4th, 2011, 2:13 PM
Ah the sound of a chain saw in your hands as you cut though a log or branch and get to feel the power of a man tool!!!!! The next man toy is a skill saw. Another power toy (I mean tool) that you must master. Before you know it you will be building houses.

engteach64
August 4th, 2011, 3:54 PM
I actually now "how" to build houses. I used to help my dad. I can also pull wire for phone lines. The problem is I "know how," but probably couldn't remember it well enough to actually do it. :) I did buy a round saw and a cordless drill. :) I haven't gotten to use them yet, but rest assured I will find something to use it on. Maybe expanding my closet in my bedroom into a full length closet! Yes, that's it!

mac
August 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
a "round saw"?....

Ludwig
August 5th, 2011, 11:54 AM
a "round saw"?....

When an English teacher can't spell circular she says round. :):)

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
NO! I can spell circular, I just didn't know that was what it was called. :))

Oh, and I bought a socket set and 2 screw drivers today. The red one is a standard screw driver, and the blue one is phillips. :)

I think I killed my lawnmower when I put too much oil in it, so have to hope the spark plug just got goopy and I didn't actually kill the mower. If it is dead it will be the third I've killed. I am the lawnmower black widow. :(

Night Owl
August 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
They are called cross-tip screw drivers, not phillips. Phillip got upset that his name was used for something small and it offended him. His statement was "I ain't got nothin' small!!!"

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Sounds like someone with size issues. :) You know the saying, "me thinks he protests too much." :)

FieryPrincess
August 5th, 2011, 2:50 PM
I started acquiring power tools and doing little projects around the house while my husband was gone. I put up crown moulding myself, built shelving, and had a lot of fun while doing it.

CenTexDave
August 5th, 2011, 3:05 PM
Glad you get it now. Could you contact my ex-wife and let her know this?? I still don't understand why she was so upset I gave her a brand new 19V Makita Cordless Drill for a birthday present!! :))

mac
August 5th, 2011, 3:26 PM
drain the mower!......you may have blown a seal but it'll be ok the rest of the year....mac

armyslowrdr
August 5th, 2011, 4:03 PM
congratulations--and all in one stuff is bad VERY BAD too. You need separates/or at least a receiver, at least 5.1 channels of audio pumping through proper audiophile grade speakers, and etc.

like wise ur computer should NOT be one of those sissy looking infinitesimal-sized apple things, but should be housed in the biggest tower you can find with at least 3 monitors and plenty of esternal dives; here again you will need a sound card that has 7 channels of analog outs to mate to a high end receiver that has a multi-channel input...
and needless to say as in your humongo-sized TV hometheater, it needs all hooked up to proper woofs and tweets and subs n not those crappy logitech style computer squak boxes.

ah glory.

Ludwig
August 5th, 2011, 4:05 PM
drain the mower!......you may have blown a seal but it'll be ok the rest of the year....mac

Don't forget to put fresh oil back in... the the appropriate level. Spark plug are cheap... just replace it rather than trying to clean and re-gap that old one. If it blows a lot of smoke, you most likely blew a seal.

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 5:36 PM
Oh, the fire department might get called if I run it. It puts out quite a bit of smoke. I drained the oil to the appropriate level, and the smoke is almost gone, but it won't start.

just2cents
August 5th, 2011, 5:43 PM
My lawn mower only starts when it is cold, if I shut it while it is hot I can not start it again till it cools. Does anyone on here know how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

FieryPrincess
August 5th, 2011, 6:18 PM
If you're setting it up for winter (or the non-growing season) use the Sta-bil stuff as directed.

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 8:35 PM
Wasn't this summer a non-growing season? :)

Ludwig
August 5th, 2011, 9:09 PM
Oh, the fire department might get called if I run it. It puts out quite a bit of smoke. I drained the oil to the appropriate level, and the smoke is almost gone, but it won't start.

Did you replace the sparkplug... it may be fouled.

engteach64
August 5th, 2011, 9:41 PM
Not yet. I'm just ignoring my lawn mower for right now. I did buy the socket set so I have the socket thing to pull it out. :) Baby steps. :))

Night Owl
August 5th, 2011, 9:54 PM
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.:)

Ludwig
August 5th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Unless you have a good feel for such things, which only comes with experience, you might also want to invest in a torque wrench to install the plug. Read your manual (you should be able to find it on the web) for the appropriate value, usually 25 ft/lb.

CenTexDave
August 5th, 2011, 10:22 PM
My lawn mower only starts when it is cold, if I shut it while it is hot I can not start it again till it cools. Does anyone on here know how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

When's the last time you changed the anti-freeze?

SciTeach
August 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Lawn mowers have anti-freeze!? Thank the gods I'm married :) LOL

Brian McCall
August 6th, 2011, 2:23 AM
Don't even tell her about the headlight fluid. Best to leave that to professionals.

Ludwig
August 6th, 2011, 6:15 AM
Not to mention the discrominator clutch linkage.

THEMEANOGRE
August 6th, 2011, 7:51 AM
Has anyone checked the muffler bearing?

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2011, 9:13 AM
I pulled out my Chilton's Shop Manual. They recommend the catalytic converter be changed.

SciTeach
August 6th, 2011, 9:22 AM
Hey I asked...my husband said lawnmowers don't have antifreeze! Or headlight fluid :bluerofl <--and that's what he did when I asked!

Seriously though, thanks to a shop teacher that scared the hell out of me about saws, I don't cut anything...but I do have a drill and my own tool kit ;) And the big screen tv with surround sound system and blu-ray? Totally my idea ;)

gnatsum
August 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I pulled out my Chilton's Shop Manual. They recommend the catalytic converter be changed.

And THAT job requires a metric hammer.

kisdparent
August 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
This thread made my day!

Rick
August 6th, 2011, 1:03 PM
I've always heard about guys wanting huge televisions and power tools. I always thought that was so silly. Well, I got a new tv, and it is huge. I get it! I love being able to see what is actually going on on the television. When my Astros or Suns play I can actually see their faces. I get it!

My son had the chain saw out to cut apart a tree that was cut down a while back, and asked it I wanted a go at it. I said sure. I get it! I was so empowered with that chain saw! I tore that tree up! Okay, I tore up those four branches I cut off, but I get it!

Men of the forum! I get it! I appologize for my years of thinking power tools and large televisions were just a silly waste of money. I get it! :) I think I need to go buy me some power tools and start a home repair!!!!

;);)
Hmm, so you never got that feeling from a new vacuum cleaner or washing machine?

engteach64
August 6th, 2011, 3:20 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH everyone.:doh A friend came over yesterday and her husband was looking around the house. He said I need to find me a man to do the work for me. I asked if there was a man who would do it without me having to put out. He said, "Well, you have to offer something." :(

And Rick, nope!

lovetoread
August 6th, 2011, 3:29 PM
I bought a front load washer with all kinds of settings. I love it so yes a new washer does it for me.

Ludwig
August 6th, 2011, 3:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAH everyone.:doh A friend came over yesterday and her husband was looking around the house. He said I need to find me a man to do the work for me. I asked if there was a man who would do it without me having to put out. He said, "Well, you have to offer something." :(

And Rick, nope!

Oh never mind... we've met. It's an ROI problem.

engteach64
August 6th, 2011, 4:32 PM
We've met? What does ROI mean? I'm not big on acronyms. :)

Ludwig
August 6th, 2011, 4:53 PM
:):) Return On Investment:):)

engteach64
August 13th, 2011, 9:11 AM
Okay, today I went and bought new locks for my doors. After the first guy blew me off a young kid came to see if I needed help. He went to get someone, and no one came. Another guy came and said he'd help me. He was great. I told him I needed locks for dummies. He helped me find the sets to put on my house, told me what to do, and told me how to make sure all the keys match. He was awesome.

In line a guy asked me, "Does he know he's doing that?" I said, "I'm doing this." He laughed and said, "Good luck, it looks hard." Grrrrr.

I spent the last half hour putting on the new knobs into the garage. I did it!

My son is changing his lock, and then we do the front door. I no longer have door knobs of all colors, the house is almost completely the same. I have three door knobs inside the house to change, then we are good.

I changed the locks, oh, and used an electric drill. I started with a screw driver, and realized it is really quick when you use an electric drill. :)

THEMEANOGRE
August 13th, 2011, 9:32 AM
Yes Engteach, the jobs do seem to go quicker when you use power tools. But a true craftsworker prefers to use hand tools whenever they can. It gives a greater feeling of accomplishment.

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Yes Engteach, the jobs do seem to go quicker when you use power tools. But a true craftsworker prefers to use hand tools whenever they can. It gives a greater feeling of accomplishment.
Yeah what he said, but the opposite!

mac
August 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM
don't pay no attention to that, engteach. this very same guy prob'ly rips a 4x8 piece of plywood with a skil saw or table saw and not a handsaw.....would almost guarantee it. you can never have too many tools....mac

THEMEANOGRE
August 13th, 2011, 2:51 PM
You haven't any idea, do you? I am a life member of the Handyman's Club of America. I use whatever tool is appropriate to the task. If a circular saw is called for, I use that. If I can I prefer to use a hand saw. To cut a 4X8 sheet, a hand saw would hardly be the desired tool.

mac
August 13th, 2011, 7:49 PM
that may be but it was all i had for an awful long time and i've ripped an awful lot of 4x8s in my time with a hand saw and a thumb....mac

You haven't any idea, do you? I am a life member of the Handyman's Club of America. I use whatever tool is appropriate to the task. If a circular saw is called for, I use that. If I can I prefer to use a hand saw. To cut a 4X8 sheet, a hand saw would hardly be the desired tool.

cnjbond
August 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM
that may be but it was all i had for an awful long time and i've ripped an awful lot of 4x8s in my time with a hand saw and a thumb....mac
CLEARLY it's because your skills are not up to par with that of a member of the Handyman's Club of America!!! :rolleyes

THEMEANOGRE
August 14th, 2011, 4:33 AM
There is no skill requirement to be a member of HCoA. Elsewise, I wouldn't have gotten in to begin. That is a matter of desire and money.

engteach64
August 14th, 2011, 7:35 AM
:-s
Oh never mind... we've met. It's an ROI problem.

I may be a little slow sometimes, but I just reread this...I think I'm offended. :-s

mac
August 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
actually, the HCoA is a scam. it took me forever to make them understand that i did not want any more books, that i did not want any thing at all except the magazine and if they sent me one more book, one more gadget, i would not return it, nor would i pay for it. i love their magazine but you have to really watch out for 'em 'cause if you don't, they're gonna get you!......mac

There is no skill requirement to be a member of HCoA. Elsewise, I wouldn't have gotten in to begin. That is a matter of desire and money.

engteach64
August 14th, 2011, 2:02 PM
I hear you. I ordered something from Weight Watchers, and now get a book every month in the mail. I just mark it "return to sender" and move on. It is their dime, not mine. I hate that we can't get something we enjoy and stop, but we have to get so much junk mail out of it.

THEMEANOGRE
August 14th, 2011, 3:25 PM
actually, the HCoA is a scam. it took me forever to make them understand that i did not want any more books, that i did not want any thing at all except the magazine and if they sent me one more book, one more gadget, i would not return it, nor would i pay for it. i love their magazine but you have to really watch out for 'em 'cause if you don't, they're gonna get you!......mac

I had a similar issue. When I no longer wished to receive the books, I just started sending them back. After 2 returns, they stopped sending new books to me.

Rick
August 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
If they keep sending them after I tell them to stop, they are mine! :)

THEMEANOGRE
August 15th, 2011, 4:09 AM
I started on the book program once, then cancelled. I started again after I could afford it again. They started my new membership from the beginning. I called and spoke with Larry Okrend, the club president, and asked if they could set the book program up where someone could go to the website and order just the volumes they desired rather than having to repeat the entire series every time they start and stop. He said he has little input into something like that.