PDA

View Full Version : Potty training.

christine
July 24th, 2011, 9:38 AM
Ok iv decided that I'm introducing the potty to my son. He is 2 in October. Any tips will be most appreciated.
He's already show interest in pulling off his own diaper. Lol

Scarlett
July 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
If you want to get serious about it...do NOT buy Pull-Ups. Get the cloth potty training pants. Be prepared for messes, but my boys HATED the feel of wet pants. With Pull-Ups they didn't notice.

xzochye
July 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I have to agre with Scarlett. Pull ups are nothing but diapers that are made to look like undies.

JoAnn Purser
July 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Just remember that most boys by the age of 4 or so do not walk around with wet britches, for sure by 20. He will learn. Just repeat to yourself "One day he will learn."

Do the stores still sell paper targets for boys to aim at in the toilet?

Good luck.

christine
July 24th, 2011, 1:52 PM
Should I just use regular underware then? And I think the store still sells targets but a friend told me cheerieos work good to

Scarlett
July 24th, 2011, 2:05 PM
They sell thick training pants made of cloth...I started with those. But as soon as he gets the hang of it...switch to the regular underwear. He will love getting to chose cartoon ones too!

christine
July 24th, 2011, 3:03 PM
Where can I get the thick ones. Do they sell them at most walmarts?

JoAnn Purser
July 24th, 2011, 3:03 PM
Should I just use regular underware then? And I think the store still sells targets but a friend told me cheerieos work good to

As long as he doesn't reach in to eat one. You know kids.

christine
July 24th, 2011, 3:15 PM
Lol no he knows pee is yucky. Lol

Scarlett
July 24th, 2011, 3:27 PM
Where can I get the thick ones. Do they sell them at most walmarts?

I believe so. Look near diapers or by the little kid underwear. Just ask for cloth training pants.

dragonfly
July 24th, 2011, 4:51 PM
I personally would do Pull-ups at night. He knows diapers are gone, but only things that pull up like underwear are available. At least until he can go a night or two dry. You would have to wash out those thick undies every morning, because they would start to stink really quick!

I put a potty right by our family room and slowly moved it to the bathroom as my children mastered it. If we were going to be home for a bit (alone) I would also have them go naked on the bottom, so they would know instantly if peepee was coming out. It also helped in going in the potty chair by the family room. They just don't want to stop all that fun time playing to go potty. It sped it all up! Also, they have cute hand soaps just for little ones, to make hand washing more fun. :) You can NEVER start that habit too soon IMO!!

They have these neat toilet seats that replace the one you have, and it has a built in toddler seat. I would so get those if they had them when mine were little.

Good luck!!

dragonfly
July 24th, 2011, 4:54 PM
Oh, and double make the bed. Put the dry liner on, then a fitted sheet, and then another dry liner and a top fitted sheet. When he pees in the middle of the night, all you have to do is strip off the top sheet and dry liner(which is now wet), and the bed is ready to go. Really helps when your drop dead tired! :)

siamcat
July 24th, 2011, 5:27 PM
Don't get upset when he backtracks.
My son was dry first, but for some reason he refused to poop in the toilet. He was in underwear and would tell me he had to go poop. So I put pull ups on, he pooped, then back to undies. Until one day I was busy with something and I told him just a minute. A few minutes later he ran up to me and announced that he went poopie in the toilet. No more pull ups after that.
I would go with pull ups overnight at first. Until he stays dry most of the time at night. Some kids sleep so hard they don't wake up in time.
Forgot to add instead of cheerios you can try foodcoloring or something like it. He pees the water changes color.

christine
July 24th, 2011, 6:24 PM
Thank keep the pointers coming I'm sure I'll need them.
I just hope he's not like me. When I was learning I ran screaming from the potty and was darn near ferrel lol

xzochye
July 24th, 2011, 8:00 PM
I used the thick training undies and regular undies. I also put the plastic underwear over the regular underwear. Not sure what those are called...lol. But it keeps "most" of the pee "contained." He will be wet and uncomfortable but there will be less mess to clean up around the house.

Found a few links:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Baby-Waterproof-Training-Pant-Covers-8-Pack/15729287

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Baby-Girls-Cotton-Training-Pants-3-Pack/15729289

siamcat
July 24th, 2011, 9:31 PM
Thank keep the pointers coming I'm sure I'll need them.
I just hope he's not like me. When I was learning I ran screaming from the potty and was darn near ferrel lol

I think the most important thing is to take it one day at a time and don't stress. By the time he hits 1st grade he'll be potty trained. The more you stress the more they stress.
Keep it low key and playful with lots of praise.

xzochye
July 24th, 2011, 9:51 PM
One of my friends had a special treat jar. Whenever her daughter used the potty she could get something out of the jar. It was full of things she would never get otherwise.

RockinRita
July 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Cheerios, a target for them to hit, and a reward jar worked wonders for all 3 of my boys. :D

christine
July 26th, 2011, 2:02 PM
I'm happy to update...
I got bubba a potty of his own and after showing it to him and talking to him...Monday night he told me/yelled for me to get the diaper off and with in a half a Min. He peed in his potty. :-D
He was so happy he wouldn't let me put the diaper back on lol. He peed on the carpet after a while. but he still got it right the first time!!! Lol
Thanks agin y'alls advice will come in handy!!

FieryPrincess
July 27th, 2011, 1:29 AM
We bought a carpet cleaner when we started potty training our oldest. There was a method out there called something like "four days and $75". The idea was they ran around without a diaper at all and at the end of four days they would trained. The $75 was to have the carpet cleaned.

They have plastic mattress covers which I recommend. It cuts down on laundry and preserves the mattress. My son with his issues will still have occasional night accidents. Because of the mattress protector, the mattress is stain and urine free!

dragonfly
July 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I learned in an early childhood development class in college, that if they can't be potty trained in a week, they're not ready. I followed that with mine, and both had it down in a week.

siamcat
July 27th, 2011, 5:56 PM
I learned in an early childhood development class in college, that if they can't be potty trained in a week, they're not ready. I followed that with mine, and both had it down in a week.

It works differently in real life most of the time.
I agree that they shouldn't be pushed if they're not interested. Kids develop differently, but if they show the interest they're ready. There will be set backs and accidents, but to say if they're not trained in a week they're not ready...I don't buy that.
Congrats that yours did it in a week.

ItsMe
July 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
My best advice, as I did this with 2 kids...NO pull ups, diapers attach and unattach so easlily now, no drinks after 5 pm, and anytime you go to the bathroom, take the child in and let them sit on their pot too. Make it a BIG DEAL when they go...do a dance, sing a song, clap! Children love praise and they are going to want to go if they feel mommy gets excited about it. I had mine trained in a week after this.