PDA

View Full Version : Alaska

engteach64
July 23rd, 2011, 8:17 PM
Well, my sister and I are planning another cruise. This time we are staying in the country where we speak the language and don't have to transfer money to Euros. We are going to Alaska. Has anyone been on an Alaskan cruise? Any advice as to which cruise line you liked? What about excursions? We were on the Norwegian Cruise lines last time, but they seem much more expensive, and there isn't alot to do unless you like to gamble and drink.

Would anyone be willing to share your experience? We are looking at July of next year, so we have plenty of time to plan.

Thanks.

Hornsby
July 23rd, 2011, 9:45 PM
I have traveled to Alaska...but never taken a cruise. I did do some excursions. I did a Class III whitewater rafting trip down the Kenai River. I was not impressed...the scenery was gorgeous, but the “whitewater” rafting was more like a float with some wake in it. I learned that they classify rapids by 1. What’s the chance that the rafter will fall out and 2. What are the consequences if they do. Apparently, the chances of falling out are low, but the consequences of if you did are high because of water temperature and wildlife. I had some friends who did some offshore fishing; they came back with fish that they were able to send home. I am talking like 12 pound Halibut. I had other friends who took a floating kayak trip. They liked it. I hope this helps a little with excursions. Have fun, Alaska is absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. If you get a chance, climb a mountain top….the scenery is breathtaking and humbling!

engteach64
July 23rd, 2011, 9:57 PM
Thank you. I'm not really the outdoor hiking kind of person, and my sister will not be able to climb a mountain, but it definitely sounds fun. I would love to climb a mountaintop just to say I did. Thanks for the advice. I will start a list and start with the mountain. Kayaking...I don't like to be off balance, white water rafting...I'm too chicken.

Night Owl
July 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Denali Nation Park is a must. Take one of the bus tours and you will see everything from Moose to Brown/grizzly Bear to Dall sheep to Ptarmigan (if I remember correctly this is the state bird).

Take the train between Anchorage and Fairbanks with a lay over at the Park. The train ride is breath taking. The cruiseline will have excursions that you can take.
We took the Aurora (http://www.centextalk.com/wiki/Aurora_Winter_Train) (our trip was in Feb-Mar) but is available in winter months (September 15 - May 15) on a reduced weekend schedule (Northbound, Saturday mornings; Southbound, Sunday mornings) between Anchorage and Fairbanks. It is a 12 hour ride and departs at 8:15 a.m.
http://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-railroad/?gclid=CJ-Fg-WLmaoCFQWA5QodyB1cyA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Railroad

Hope this helps.

JoAnn Purser
July 25th, 2011, 6:50 AM
Went to Alaska once but only to fish.

I do remember that the scenery is breathtaking. The tundra was amazing. The flowers were so colorful and vibrant. Oh and there are bears.

It was in late July early August and I was wearing insulated underwear and a jacket while fishing and I watched kids jumping and playing in the water. It made me shiver.

Bring something to cover your eyes so you can sleep. Shorter nights there you know.

I have heard the cruises are awesome.

engteach64
July 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the long daylight. Thanks for the tip. Also, anyone who has cruised to Alaska...can you tell me which cruiseline you used, and whether or not you liked it? We went with Norwegian last time, and it was okay, but all meals were buffet unless you paid. It was massive selling too, and really only old people stuff to do when on the ship. All of the "fun" stuff started at 10:00 PM, and interestingly enough it was the senior citizens who went. Not too fun. I'm not a young pup, but don't want to hang with the silver crowd just yet.

sasquatch
July 25th, 2011, 5:14 PM
Check out Cruisecritic.com for reviews and info that might help.

FieryPrincess
July 27th, 2011, 1:40 AM
To reduce the amount of traffic through Denali, they have a lottery system for personal vehicles. My understanding is that you don't get to pick the day.

The bus tour is the best (and possibly only) option.

North Pole is just a little bit outside of Fairbanks. You can mail a letter to your kids from Santa there. I think the Santa Claus house is open all year.

Night Owl
July 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Santa Claus house is open all year but Santa is not there during the summer months. My oldest daughter just left the North Pole where they lived the last 4 years. They lived about a mile from Santa.

Liz76513
July 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I have taken two Alaskan Cruises and both were on Celebrity. I loved the "smaller" ship with only about 2000 people on it. Were able to get closer to the glaciers than the bigger cruise ships. Loved sitting outside and watching the shore pass by us. Had great time and would recommend it to anyone!

dawglover
August 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have been told by many that the Alaska cruise is by far the best of them all. The Alaska cruise is on my bucket list.

P.S. Anyone want to donate to the Dawglover cruise fund?

Night Owl
August 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Suuuuure. Rick owes me $5 and if you can get it from him (good luck).:)

Ludwig
August 8th, 2011, 2:32 PM
I have been told by many that the Alaska cruise is by far the best of them all. The Alaska cruise is on my bucket list.

P.S. Anyone want to donate to the Dawglover cruise fund?

I hear tell that church in Harker Heights, the one with the green, metal roof, across from the High School, has a good deal going on an Alaska cruise next month. You might want to check it out and get it off your bucket list.

dawglover
August 8th, 2011, 4:04 PM
I can't Ludwig. I still need those donations

Rick
August 8th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Suuuuure. Rick owes me $5 and if you can get it from him (good luck).:)

You should have taken it when you won it. It's only worth fifty cents now...haha

CenTexDave
August 11th, 2011, 1:47 PM
Inflation? Or a new Obama tax??

Night Owl
August 12th, 2011, 7:15 AM
both