PDA

View Full Version : New cats

Brian McCall
July 3rd, 2011, 1:47 PM
Dr. Buckley,

I am the new owner of a pair of kittens, one male and one female. One is about 6 weeks old, and the other a bit younger. I've never owned cats of my own, so I'm not sure what they need.

As far as I know they haven't had any treatments. What do they need as far as shots and everything, and how soon can they receive them?

Also, spaying and neutering. I don't want a mess of animals on my hands in a year or so, so I want to get that done. What is a good age? I understand male cats will mark their territory if they aren't neutered before a certain age. Since they will be indoor cats, I can't have that.

Last thing. Parasites. I absolutely can't stand fleas and other biting insects. What is the best way to keep them away? Do you have any products you recommend?

siamcat
July 3rd, 2011, 5:29 PM
http://www.blurtit.com/q342441.html

Here is a link to give you a better idea of the shots.
Good luck with the kittens. Bet they're cute.

sallydee13
July 3rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Love my cats! Congrats Brian on your new housemates. I am sure they will bring you much joy. I declaw (front) my indoor cats...knowing that they will ALWAYS be indoor cats. There are meds to prevent parasites (including fleas), routine vaccinations, routine care, etc. Cats are wonderful companions!!! Recognize that they are independent animals with distinct personalities!