PDA

View Full Version : Handyman/Electrician

xzochye
June 26th, 2011, 4:43 PM
Any suggestions for an affordable handyman or electrician? The fluorescent light fixture in my kitchen is going out and I believe the ballast needs replacing. I took the cover off to examine it and I am not confident that I can do it myself. Any recommendations?

Hey, at least I managed to fix my ac on my own! (knock on wood!)

THEMEANOGRE
June 26th, 2011, 5:45 PM
It is as easy as building a simple lamp. Get the replacement ballast. Then compare the connections to the bad one and hook it up the same way.

xzochye
June 26th, 2011, 5:59 PM
It is as easy as building a simple lamp. Get the replacement ballast. Then compare the connections to the bad one and hook it up the same way.

Much easier said than done! I looked at it and there are several wires and I can't tell how to disconnect it. It may be different if I had the new one to compare it with but it is way out of my comfort zone. I would prefer to have someone do it for me so that I can watch them and then I will know what to do next time.

joyohjoy
June 26th, 2011, 6:26 PM
In some of those lights there is a little round fuse type thing either in the end of the light or near the bulb. It may just be the fuse and not the ballast.

xzochye
June 26th, 2011, 7:13 PM
In some of those lights there is a little round fuse type thing either in the end of the light or near the bulb. It may just be the fuse and not the ballast.

Thanks, I will look for that in a little bit.

clerial
June 27th, 2011, 8:00 AM
The Ballast is an ongoing expense....you may wish to change fixtures?

clerial
June 27th, 2011, 8:04 AM
You can look at the SIZE of the Ballast....match it to a new one.......I have used a local Maintenance Company called Three Feathers. 291-6295