PDA

View Full Version : allergic reaction to advantix

spedkiddos
June 22nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
On the 15th we gave Cane her monthly treatment of Advanix. I think she has been given it 2 or 3 times before.We've noticedover the past week that she has had some slight bumps on her back. At first we thought that it may have beenfrom ants, or bees or something from outside. Today when we were working with her outside we noticed that itseems like the bumps may be in the areas where the advantix was applied. What should I look for to try and determine if it could be an allergic reaction to the Advantix? Should I give it to her again next month, or should I try something different? I like the Advantix since it also help to repel mosquitoes. Other than that Cane is doing pretty good, getting bigger and bigger. I think she is between 85-90 pounds, and almost 6 months old. She is still a handful, but we're working on that! Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago.

Night Owl
June 23rd, 2011, 7:07 AM
Beautiful puppy!!!!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Many topicals will occasionally cause irritation on the site of application. I have seen bumps, redness and hairloss secondary to the application of these types of products. Topical medications such as these work by being transported into the oil glands in the skin and then replenish themselves as oils are distributed back onto the skin surface.

As long as the reaction is not too severe then you can continue to use the product but I would discontinue if you note any pain associated with reaction. There are other topical options and some oral options available as well.

I just wish everyone on this forum could see this awesome pup in person! Cane is beautiful.

Sloane Peterson
June 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
My dog gets random bumps too. We have taken her to our vet who has said it was ant bites and then thought it was a bacterial infection. I wonder if it could be from the Advantix. I also thought it might be from the grass and weeds in our backyard, I have a grass allergy so I thought maybe my dog could too. I will definitely pay closer attention next month when we apply it to see if that's when the bumps appear.

spedkiddos
June 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks Dr. Buckley, for the advice. I don't think that the she is in any pain, you can see the raised areas in her coat when in light. We'll try it again next month and then really just watch her and see if we notice anything.

I think she is pretty awesome too, pictures just don't do her justice! Thanks again.

poundpup
June 26th, 2011, 2:15 PM
May I add a little tip about unexplainable bumps, especially in the neck and tail area, as well as under the jowls, on the ears, and in the "arm" pits: Look for ticks.
Last week my dogs all started to have these odd bumps in those areas ... and we finally realized that we have a tick infestation. Where the female ticks have fed, they leave a sore that hardens and appears as bumps.