PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel Resigns as Ohio State's Head Coach

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 9:29 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110530/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_ohio_st_tressel_resigns

Rick
May 30th, 2011, 9:42 AM
Not really surprising. He would have been too much of a distraction. I wonder if NCAA sanctions are coming.

Night Owl
May 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Might have to designate Ohio State as Zero State.:)

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Not to worry, Owl. They have plenty coming back and will probably win their 7th consecutive Big Ten Championship. Not like the Little Ten that UT and Oklahoma are in.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Not really surprising. He would have been too much of a distraction. I wonder if NCAA sanctions are coming.

Very possible still. Although the main victim has resigned, I still can see Ohio State getting nailed with having to forfeit last year's entire season for using what would have been ineligible players for the entire season. Those players should have been thrown off the team the minute Tressel found out about them selling/trading items for tattoos, etc. I think Tressel tried to protect them. In this day and age that is the kiss of death, i.e., see USC's recent penalties.
Sad day for Buckeye football.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This probably explains it best: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/05/30/Jim.Tressel.OSU/index.html?xid=si_ncaaf

Night Owl
May 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM
When zero state has as much class as the Big XII then we can talk about them. Until then they will remain convicted thiefs and cheats.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hmmm..............I seem to recall Oklahoma being slapped with major sanctions years ago. So was Arkansas when a member of the Southwest Conference.
Don't think Mac Brown could be put out to pasture? If not, you need a wake up call my friend. All the big programs do things wrong. Some are minor, some are major. Tressel screwed up by not reporting this when he became aware of it. For that, he's gone.
This wasn't any major recruiting violations like which dogged Alabama, Oklahoma, Auburn and USC. This was the coach not reporting something he was made aware of. For that he will forever be remembered. Not for the 80%+ winning percentage, national championship, 8 Big Ten Titles and numerous BCS bowl appearances.

Night Owl
May 30th, 2011, 1:33 PM
GO TEXAS!!!!!! Hook 'em Horns!!!!

Don't root for any of those teams you mentioned.

It wasn't just Tressel, it was most of the team. They should all be banned from college sports. If it happened at Texas I would say the same thing.

Mack Brown can stand on his own record.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 3:55 PM
It was 5 players. Yeah, he went, what, 5-8 last year. :))

Night Owl
May 30th, 2011, 4:25 PM
Guess zero state has never had a losing season.

Night Owl
May 30th, 2011, 4:26 PM
It was 5 players.
and a coach and those were the only ones that got caught.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 6:31 PM
Guess zero state has never had a losing season.

Of course they have - 1998. 13 years ago.

finalbowser
May 30th, 2011, 6:47 PM
http://freecelebritygraphics.com/images/celebs/Wisconsin%20Badgers/Wisconsin-Badgers-logo.jpg

The Age of Bucky is upon us.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 6:58 PM
Wisconsin? Good team, but they lost a lot this past graduation.

Rick
May 30th, 2011, 8:47 PM
Tressel sure had everyone fooled. What a disappointment.

What sucks about the whole damn thing is that the NCAA, the schools, the sports companies, TV stations, Brett Musberger, magazines, etc, can profit from the exploited students, but damn if a kid trades a sweaty shirt for a tattoo. ****ing ridiculous.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 9:10 PM
I know. The NCAA and the TV networks make hundreds of millions of dollars over a kid's four year college football playing days, but they don't get a dime. Sure, most of them are on scholarship, but let's get real here - tuition, room and board and books are fine, but it doesn't cover everything they need. So the kid sells a pair of gold pants he gets for beating Michigan. THEY ARE HIS. They were given to him.
Yes, Tressel did wrong. He paid the price. But the NCAA is half the problem.

Rick
May 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Tressel's probably getting paid to leave. They will probably buy out his contract.

Yes, the NCAA is the problem. But all of the participants agree to play under their rules for the an education and a chance at a pro payday.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2011, 11:58 PM
More reports are now surfacing. It appears this may just be the tip of the iceberg. Ohio State will get the full brunt of the NCAA.

CenTexDave
June 1st, 2011, 6:12 PM
Just read that Pryor, the main ingredient in this scandal, had his driver's license suspended by the Columbus, Ohio courts for failure to provide proof of insurance during a traffic stop in Feb, 2011. Of course, the reporter snapped a pic of him getting out of a sports car he had just driven to a team meeting.
This is shades of Maurice Clarett and this "legend in his own mind" who thinks he's bigger than the system needs to be booted out of Ohio State.

Night Owl
June 2nd, 2011, 8:18 AM
Worms, oh those danged old worms are starting to turn into SNAKES!!!!!

CenTexDave
June 2nd, 2011, 2:36 PM
Looks like Sports Illustrated may have jumped the gun a bit: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/02/ohio-state-pryor-cars.ap/index.html?xid=si_ncaaf

Night Owl
June 2nd, 2011, 2:56 PM
Yeppers, all college students can drive cars like that. Yeppers that is the truth, believe me. Yeppers, I sure will.

CenTexDave
June 2nd, 2011, 3:27 PM
Another article on ESPN's website confirms it. Don't get me wrong - this kid is bad news for real, but the car may be legit.
Of course the article only mentions his mother signed for it. Guess he doesn't have a father, and his mother makes $100 an hour!!! lol

Night Owl
June 2nd, 2011, 4:23 PM
Zero state is trying to catch up with Zero U during Switchers time. Zero U has the best team money and drugs could buy.

CenTexDave
June 2nd, 2011, 9:15 PM
Zero U has been straight since Stoops has been there. USC is paying the price for that Bush ordeal. Ohio State will soon enough.

CenTexDave
June 8th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Terrell Pryor has announced he will "forego" his senior season at QB for Ohio State. He is "concerned" for his teammates. LOL How about the
NCAA will come down like a sledgehammer on this clown? Reports today he sold gear and signed autographs for over $40K.
I feel for Jim Tressel. Great coach who just tried to protect a few players. Yes he was wrong, but his legacy will forever be tarnished now.
And his first problem child, Maurice Clarett, spoke up today about how these football power universities make millions and the players can't afford a meal half the time. Yes, Maurice is correct. I wonder if he was making this statement from his jail cell? LOL

Night Owl
June 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Snakes, snakes, those darn things are snakes, not worms.:)

CenTexDave
June 8th, 2011, 2:58 PM
Remember UT's Ramonce Taylor, they called him "Bush Lite"? Scored a TD in the national championship game against USC. Another snake. College football is full of them.
But really think the NCAA needs to realize most of these kids on scholarship have no money to blow on things. 19/20 year old kids don't think like we do. They see an opportunity to get a few bucks and do it, and hell with the consequences.

Night Owl
June 8th, 2011, 3:35 PM
Totally agree. The NCAA should give them walking around money.

Zero State is just the latest in the spotlight. I am sure they will everyone before long.

USC, Ohio State, Michigan and Texas use to be untouchables by the NCAA. Looks like Michigan and Texas are the only ones left and I am sure there time is coming.

CenTexDave
June 8th, 2011, 7:19 PM
Oh, but wrong. Michigan was caught a couple of years ago. Wasn't serious to warrant much more than a slap on the wrist. Think they got them for too long practices, too many practices, something along those lines. Had nothing to do with the players but the coaches. Problem was, they weren't winning then and should have tossed the coach. They just didn't want to admit they hired the wrong guy.

FieryPrincess
June 12th, 2011, 7:53 PM
I think that players should be allowed to work for some extra dough. It's a good life lesson. They earn spending money. They decide on what to spend it. If they spend too much time working and slack on their playing, they lose playing time. They learn to balance things instead of living of an entity of some sort.

I think it should be monitored randomly by coaches. They could turn in a work schedule and an assistant coach or other lackey can pop in unannounced to see if they are really there and not just collecting a paycheck because their boss is a fan.

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2011, 5:50 PM
For all you Buckeye haters, like Night Owl, an investigation has been completed by the Dept of Ohio Motor Vehicles. None of those cars supposedly given to the players raised a red flag. All legit purchases.
Now, Terrell Pryor still quit the program. He should be put against a brick wall and shot. Caused one of the best coaches of all time to resign.

Rick
June 21st, 2011, 7:38 PM
You know I am not a Buckeye hater, but Tressel caused Tressel to resign.

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, Rick, true, but he was protecting his players. No excuse, I know, but just the same it sucks.
Hope Pryor doesn't get drafted in the supplemental NFL draft.

FieryPrincess
June 23rd, 2011, 7:19 PM
If the NFL won't back up college suspensions by not allowing him to be eligible for the draft until a time equal to his suspension has elapsed, the problems won't go away.

His punishment will be... get to the NFL earlier? Hardly an incentive to avoid future bad behavior.

CenTexDave
June 24th, 2011, 11:34 PM
The poop seems to be hitting the fan this off-season. Now Oregon, North Carolina and a couple of others are getting put under microscopes.
This is just a widespread problem in college football. These universities make zillions off of these students. Give them a monthly stipend of, say, $300.