PDA

View Full Version : Abdul-Jabbar Wants A Statue

corgifan
May 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds like one 7 foot 3 inch WAAAAAAAAAAAA to me.
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6563112

cityboy
May 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, me, too. Jabbar is a complicated guy. I like him, but then he does or says somethin' stupid, like this ...

Spartan
May 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Life's not fair. Too bad... so sad. Live with it KAJ.

cityboy
May 19th, 2011, 3:12 PM
The Lakers don't owe him anything. Besides, he's in the damn Hall of Fame, ain't he?

Night Owl
May 19th, 2011, 4:17 PM
The only thing the Lakers owed him was a pay check while he worked for them. They paid him well if I recall. Whats this about some piece of rock. Can anyone say EGO gone amuck.

I worked for 24 years for the Army, where's my statute?:)

CenTexDave
May 19th, 2011, 9:55 PM
All in favor of erecting a statute for Night Owl please indicate below!!

CenTexDave
May 19th, 2011, 9:55 PM
With your luck, Owl, would probably end up being a rooster for pigeons.

gnatsum
May 20th, 2011, 12:11 AM
One of the sports shows on the radio was discussing this. One of the guests suggested that KAJ probably deserves a statue, given that he helped BUILD the Lakers into the powerhouse that it is...but he hasn't done as much for the team SINCE he retired, compared to Earvin "Magic" Johnson! Given the choice of a statue for just ONE of the two, the voice on the radio said he has to go with Magic..who already has one?
Now if UCLA wants to do a statue for the former Lew Alcindor...they ought to, he continued.
Oh, and the host of the sports show (Robert Wuhl) indicated, if I remember correctly, that it was the CHICAGO BULLS debuting a BUST of SCOTTIE PIPPEN at their arena that may have caused KAJ to think that he wasn't getting enough respect...

CenTexDave
May 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
He helped build the Lakers? Gee, I seem to recall a few guys named Chamberlain, West, and Baylor who were around long before Lew Alcindor.

gnatsum
May 22nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
A sports talk show managed to talk to KAJ live on Friday. Turns out, that he IS going to get a statue by the next season. The Lakers tend to do a statue about once every two years or so. KAJ will be the THIRD Laker player to get a statue (West and Magic have theirs).

Night Owl
May 22nd, 2011, 5:21 PM
If I owned the Lakers, it would be a cold day you know where before he got anything. He was payed for his work as an employee, what else is he owed.