PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss a memo?

TheOldProgrammer
March 22nd, 2011, 7:56 AM
Where'd the "Dislike This Post" go? Or, if it's still there, it's not showing up for me... :smoke

THEMEANOGRE
March 22nd, 2011, 1:58 PM
No TOP, its not just you. I'm guessing that the admins decided to do away with it because too many people used it to express their displeasure with other posters without offering the courtesy of discussing what they didn't like.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 2:05 PM
You guessed wrong! Admins did not do this. This admin loves that button!! ;)

TheOldProgrammer
March 22nd, 2011, 2:30 PM
Thank Scarlett... Something for Rick to look into I guess... I like it too...

TMO; when did you become Miss Manners?

:smoke

THEMEANOGRE
March 22nd, 2011, 2:38 PM
I am not Miss Manners. I am Th' OGRE, but I pi55 off enough folks without making any special effort, so I do try to make a tiny effort to be pleasant. I'm told that method is more productive.

Night Owl
March 22nd, 2011, 3:21 PM
I liked the dislike button and used it quite often. Sometimes a person doesn't need to post a discussion just because they don't like what is posted. I also enjoyed getting dislike notices. I laughed quite often and some (mostly one) poster who didn't like 90% of my posts. It just showed how petty that person is.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 3:27 PM
Are you SURE it was 90% or...just asking...did ya do the math? We need to add up all your posts and do the math...didn't you say somewhere that people shouldn't post things if they weren't sure of the facts? ;)

Night Owl
March 22nd, 2011, 3:32 PM
I could have been wrong, it might have been 95%.:)

Rick
March 22nd, 2011, 4:18 PM
I don't do memos, so there was nothing missed. :)

Actually, MO was pretty close with his assessment.

This is a discussion forum and I started to get the feeling that the "Dislike" button was hindering debate. The "Thanks" and "Like" button were created to keep people from posting a one word message in order to agree. Kind of like my favorite saying, "What is understood, doesn't need to be discussed." It is easy to say that you dislike something by clickng a button, but that does nothing for the discussion. If someone dislikes something on a discussion forum, they should be able to defend their position.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 4:25 PM
Umm...I think we should have voted on this? I vote bring it back!

TheOldProgrammer
March 22nd, 2011, 4:47 PM

This is a discussion forum and I started to get the feeling that the "Dislike" button was hindering debate. The "Thanks" and "Like" button were created to keep people from posting a one word message in order to agree. Kind of like my favorite saying, "What is understood, doesn't need to be discussed." It is easy to say that you dislike something by clickng a button, but that does nothing for the discussion. If someone dislikes something on a discussion forum, they should be able to defend their position.

You should have made an announcement that you were considering removing it and then state why... You made a decision on what YOU felt, not what the users of this forum might or might not feel is right... That, IMO, is not right... :(

Umm...I think we should have voted on this? I vote bring it back!

I agree with Scarlett... :smoke

corgifan
March 22nd, 2011, 4:49 PM
In case you weren't keeping track owl, I wasn't the only one that disliked several of your repugnant posts. I was simply more vigilant in letting your know about them. But I'm the only one your whining about. On the other hand, you were disliking just about every post I made, and I never made a peep.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 4:51 PM
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 4:53 PM

I think if someone had a post "disliked" they are more than welcome to defend their position...why take the button away? I am not happy...this is Scarlet...stomping her feet and pouting. You better bring me back my button..... :(

TheOldProgrammer
March 22nd, 2011, 4:58 PM
No TOP, its not just you. I'm guessing that the admins decided to do away with it because too many people used it to express their displeasure with other posters without offering the courtesy of discussing what they didn't like.

As we now know it was Rick who made the decision to do this and it seems you hit the nail on the head as to why though I disagree with you that posters have to 'offer the courtesy' of discussing anything... There are times when offering a dissenting opinion is more trouble than it's worth because there are those who refuse to see anything but their own opinion... That leads to, as you've seen in the past, major league watering contests, deleted posts, timeouts and other things... :smoke

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 5:00 PM
No...he did NOT hit the nail on the head...he said the ADMINS made the decision. Obviously the plural form of that word is WRONG. There are two of us...ONE of us apparently made that decision without asking the other her opinion. If there were a freaking DISLIKE button for his explanation, I would be hitting it!!!!

TheOldProgrammer
March 22nd, 2011, 5:06 PM
Sorry Scarlett :rose

I should have edited it to say that Rick put on his 'webmaster' hat and removed it... Is that better?

Rick
March 22nd, 2011, 5:24 PM
If I recall correctly, I added it without asking.

I'd add it back, but Scarlett's tantrum doesn't deserve to be rewarded. :))

I'll put it back when I get back to my hotel room.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 5:48 PM
Sorry Scarlett :rose

I should have edited it to say that Rick put on his 'webmaster' hat and removed it... Is that better?

Much better. ;)

Night Owl
March 22nd, 2011, 6:17 PM
In case you weren't keeping track owl, I wasn't the only one that disliked several of your repugnant posts. I was simply more vigilant in letting your know about them. But I'm the only one your whining about. On the other hand, you were disliking just about every post I made, and I never made a peep.
Ah, shucks are you feeling picked on? Sooooooo sorry bout that.

kantwin
March 22nd, 2011, 6:23 PM
Some things should only be said with your inside voice.

Rick
March 22nd, 2011, 7:05 PM
You should have made an announcement that you were considering removing it and then state why... You made a decision on what YOU felt, not what the users of this forum might or might not feel is right... That, IMO, is not right... :(

Sometimes, I do things and see how long it takes people to notice. This was what, three days?

I think if someone had a post "disliked" they are more than welcome to defend their position...why take the button away?
More often than not, they weren't. It is back, so stop whining.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 7:52 PM
LOL
I just wanted to start clicking that again...I am done now.

Rick
March 22nd, 2011, 8:15 PM
Be careful, I can add a "Bite Me" button that only I can click on.

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2011, 8:20 PM
I reallllyyyyy don't think you wanna go there....I will start blasting all your secrets. And don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about...mmwwwaaahaaahaaahaaa

*that's my evil laugh...it really doesn't come across so well in type...gotta work on that*

Rick
March 22nd, 2011, 8:46 PM
I'm not the only one with secrets! :)

THEMEANOGRE
March 22nd, 2011, 8:53 PM
Scarlett, In my post, I said Admin"s" as a courtesy to you and Stormy. As your profligate use of the button, and your tantrum attest, I was pretty sure that you had nothing to do with its removal. As Rick noted simply clicking the button does nothing to add to the discussion. And discussion is the aim of this forum.
TOP, you're right no one "owes" anyone else an explanation of their views, but isn't that purpose, the spirit of discussion?

TheOldProgrammer
March 23rd, 2011, 6:55 AM
TOP, you're right no one "owes" anyone else an explanation of their views, but isn't that purpose, the spirit of discussion?

I can't disagree with you but, on the other hand, I do... Some things are better left unsaid or as 'kantwin' said in an earlier post "Some things should only be said with your inside voice."

obtw; thanks Rick for returning the button... :smoke

corgifan
March 23rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Ah, shucks are you feeling picked on? Sooooooo sorry bout that.

Not sure what you're talking about, hooter. As usual!

Night Owl
March 23rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
:doh:cowdungowl:)

Grammar Rules
March 26th, 2011, 9:16 AM
Be careful, I can add a "Bite Me" button that only I can click on.

Add one we all can use...no,there would be no more discussion at all, then. Probably better left alone.

circle_c
March 26th, 2011, 9:27 AM
If you add the button we wouldn't get credit for a post. Just type it. No not it, I mean "Bite Me" :))

Rick
March 26th, 2011, 9:50 AM
A "Bite Me" button would come with a premium $ub$cription.

Maybe I can attach the "Dislike" button to a person's credit card and charge them for every click....hmmmmm!!! hahaha Just kidding!

bbh
March 28th, 2011, 1:29 AM
I go out of town for three days, and the children bicker!!! Can't I turn my back on you for a second????

Rick
March 28th, 2011, 7:17 AM
I don't recall seeing your permission slip come across my desk, so officially, you weren't absent. :))

Scarlett
March 28th, 2011, 7:42 AM
Which means...we still pay you your daily rate!!! Don't spend it all in one place.

prideworks
March 28th, 2011, 3:19 PM
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!
BRING IT BACK!

:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl
overcaffinated much??

THEMEANOGRE
March 28th, 2011, 4:48 PM
She doesn't drink coffee and not much soda. Cocoa binging? Well, she does love that Starbuck's card! 8-; For you, Scarlett:kishug::rose:

Scarlett
March 28th, 2011, 5:06 PM
Love Starbucks cocoa and McDonalds iced tea. Yup.

bbh
March 28th, 2011, 5:44 PM
See???? I can still use my "dislike" button, so all is well!!!!!!!

I can NEVER get a raise around here. :)

Rick
March 28th, 2011, 6:18 PM
Kaching!!!$$$ That'll cost ya!

bbh
March 28th, 2011, 8:14 PM
Ouch!