PDA

View Full Version : OSCARRR!!!!

Scarlett
April 6th, 2009, 7:18 PM
I wanna kill my dog. He is, once again, at the FREAKING POUND! How many ways are there out of my fence that I do not know about? This is getting ridiculous. Now, the damn pound closes at 4:00 each day, and school doesn't get out until 4:05! How the hell am I gonna GET HIM!?!

He is spending the night in jail. Maybe THAT will teach him...haha...yeah right. Good to know that damn microchip works I guess....:banghead

siamcat
April 6th, 2009, 8:32 PM
Animal control must really patrol your area. I feel for Oscar and you, in my neighborhood he would run around for months before being picked up.
Have you thought about locking Oscar in the garage( if you have one) with a blanket to lay on and his food and water while you're working. The weather is not that cold anymore and if he messes it's still easy clean-up.

Scarlett
April 6th, 2009, 8:38 PM
Oscar EATS blankets...that is a no-go. Hell, Oscar freaking EATS everything. He doesn't just chew things up..he chews them up and swallows them. I have so much stuff in my garage, he would go to town...not to mention when I got home and opened the garage to pull my car in, he would be off like a rocket.
He needs doggie day care! (Free doggie day care...)

siamcat
April 6th, 2009, 9:24 PM
:))

FieryPrincess
April 6th, 2009, 9:43 PM
Get Oscar a Horse ball at Tractor Supply Co.

I got one for my dog and he was not able to destroy it. My Charlie was a serious chewer for awhile too.

Scarlett
April 6th, 2009, 9:57 PM
HORSE BALL!? What the hell is a horse ball?

FieryPrincess
April 7th, 2009, 6:43 AM
It is a ball that is made of some incredibly nearly indestructible substance. It also has a handle on the top.

Just ask and they can take you to it. It was not outrageously expensive either. It was certainly worth what we paid for ours.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 7:29 AM
Who would name a dog OSCAR???????:)

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 8:28 AM
Who would name a dog OSCAR???????:)

That's probably why he's running away all the time.
Name him something more common - like Oglethorpe!
Seriously, is this the same pooch that decided he wanted to disconnect you from DirecTv a couple of times? He needs a playmate. I know you are getting him one in another week or so, but the little one may then follow the big one out of the back yard.
If no one can be home with this little guy for nine hours a day, then you have your work cut out for you.

Geddy Lee
April 7th, 2009, 8:29 AM
Which pound is he in?

Dagobert II
April 7th, 2009, 8:35 AM
We have a neighbor that just moved into our circle north of your high school Scarlett. They have a Rotti, a Spaniel and a Yorkie. All three dogs can get out of the neighbor's yard at will but the Rotti and Spaniel seem content to stay in their yard for the most part. The Yorkie, however, is something else. She patrols the entire circle but will not leave the four or five yards that compose what she thinks is her territory.

If anybody is in the circle she comes out to bark at them. If anyone advances towards her, she retreats back under her fence into her back yard, but as the 'threat' moves away she comes back out to challenge them and act as though she's driving away the army of Attila.

By the way Scarlett, if you need help bailing Oscar out of doggie jail either phone or pm me. I'm retired and thus have few time constraints.

Scarlett
April 7th, 2009, 9:43 AM
He is named Oscar cause they named him that when he was born...and I just left him named that when I got him!
And he is at the Killeen Animal Shelter.
I am gonna go get him on my lunch break. But THANK you Dag, I was about to take you up on your offer but I got someone to cover my class right after lunch in case I am late.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Leave Oscar (still an ugly name for a dog) :) in a kennel during the day. It won't hurt him one bit. Just be prepared to clean the mess. If the weather is nice put him and the kennel outside in a shady place.

Or as a last resort, shoot him!!!!:bounce:bounce:bounce

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
That might work. Other than that, not knowing how your yard is set up, you might want to have a 10'x10' kennel run built with 6' high chain link, line both sides of the ground with cinder blocks. Put a dog house in there for shade.

christine
April 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM
my aunt has big dogs & that is what she uses. its the only sure fire way to keep a dog in. just don't be like some people & leave them in the run all the time. they still need to get out in the yard.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Oscar is a Beagle if I remember right. And Scarlett is getting her dog a dog - a miniature Dacshund. Both breeds love to dig.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Is Oscar the Beagle or the mini? If Oscar is the Beagle then he might be climbing OVER the fence.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Oscar is the Beagle.
Not if you string barbed wire or concertina on top!!:)

Scarlett
April 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
It is a 6 foot privacy fence. If my beagle is climbing over that, he needs to be in movies!

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
How the hell does he climb over a wooden picket 6 foot tall privacy fence?
You might have the next coming of Rin Tin Tin!!

Scarlett
April 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
He is digging UNDER, not going OVER! Stay with me people!

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Line the bottom of the fence with cinder blocks all the way around. Or better yet, but it's a lot of dirty work, dig a trench about 6-8" deep all the way around and plant the cinder blocks in there, then cover them up with some dirt and the grass. When Ol' Oscar starts to dig he will soon figure out there is no way out.

Scarlett
April 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ummm....do I look like someone who can DO ALL THAT MANUAL LABOR!?!?!

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Yes.

skipster
April 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Just twitch your nose. It worked for Samantha on Bewitched.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
:))

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have a 27 pound Sheltie that can almost clear our 6' privacy fence. He does back flips off of it trying to get the flippin' squirrels. A Beagle only needs to be able to get a toe nail hold to climb the fence. You would be amazed what those mutts can do when they set their heart to it.

Gramps
April 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just twitch your nose. It worked for Samantha on Bewitched.

:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

the stig
April 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Oscar is a hunting dog and is bored out of his mind while you are at work. Beagles love to be busy all of the time. He needs some activity when you get home. Take him for a long walk or some play time in the back yard.
If you fix it so oscar can't dig out under the fence you will need to make sure that the whole permiter of the fence is done. He is very smart and will find other areas to get out at.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Ummm....do I look like someone who can DO ALL THAT MANUAL LABOR!?!?!

Wear one of the dresses you are giving away and you won't have to do a thing!!!!:):)

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 1:01 PM
Those are her daughter's clothes!! Might be a little too short!:))

codeesdad
April 7th, 2009, 1:06 PM
Is Oscar a Husky? If so, good luck with that. Get him a Friend

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 1:16 PM
Those are her daughter's clothes!! Might be a little too short!:))
Yep!!!:):)

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 1:20 PM
Oscar is a Beagle.
If Oscar doesn't shape up he may join the product line of the person who he is named after - Oscar Meyer. In the shape of "hund wurst".

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 1:26 PM
When we rescued our miniature Dacshund just before Christmas we had a heck of a time keeping him in the yard. If there was a crack in the fence he could get his nose in he was OUT. The funny thing was he go and sit in the driveway under we got home. He never left the yard. One of our neightbors saw him sitting there and tried to catch him for us but he went back into the backyard.......until she left. When I got home he was waiting for me all proud of himself.

Dagobert II
April 7th, 2009, 2:37 PM
For a while my Westie was getting out by unknown means. One day, he was uncharacteristically dumb enough to do it while I was watching. Evidently there was one wooden picket in the fence that was loose at the bottom. He would push on it and it would swing open at the bottom and close neatly behind him like a doggie door once he was out.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 2:40 PM
I bet he is still pawing at that part of the fence.:thumbsup

stormy
April 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Put up the electric fence. Not too expensive, not hard to put up, and it only takes one zap.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
So did Oscar spent the night in jail, or was he bailed out?

Night Owl
April 8th, 2009, 1:34 PM
I agree, where is OSCAR!!!!!!
:owl:poke:greenwitch

Scarlett
April 8th, 2009, 6:41 PM
Oscar is currently in my living room, and it LOOKS like he is humping his blanket. Good Lord....

As for the rest of this, I am now terrified...seems according to Night Owl I am about to have double the trouble...the dog I am getting my dog is a dacshund! I think the electric fence solution is sounding like a good one.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2009, 6:54 PM
GO OSCAR!! LOL
Both Beagles and Dacshunds love to dig and tunnel. An electric fence would probably be best.

siamcat
April 8th, 2009, 7:43 PM
Oscar is currently in my living room, and it LOOKS like he is humping his blanket. Good Lord....

As for the rest of this, I am now terrified...seems according to Night Owl I am about to have double the trouble...the dog I am getting my dog is a dacshund! I think the electric fence solution is sounding like a good one.

:) Brings back memories of my lab humping his bunny ( a big stuffed, purple bunny). There is not much left of it now.

Night Owl
April 9th, 2009, 7:59 AM
seems according to Night Owl I am about to have double the trouble...the dog I am getting my dog is a dacshund! I
Scarlett you are about to find out that dacshund are the lovingist (is that a word) dogs around. They want to be touching you ALL the time. Good Luck!!!!!

VooDooBaby
April 9th, 2009, 9:08 AM
I'm too afraid that my dog will get stolen, so I leave him inside when I'm gone, but he has sever separation anxiety. He kept unzipping the sofa pillows, and taking out the filling. Not to mention the fact that I was having to shampoo my carpets every other day. I was just about at my limit and was going to find him a new home, and a crate was my last solution. I thought crate training was inhumane, to leave a dog in a small box.. but oh my god, sometimes I can't get this freaking dog out of his crate! He LOVES it! I'd suggest a crate to anyone who has a problem dog. Just make sure you get the right size, or the dog will use a corner of the crate as a potty. Two dogs? No problem, two crates!

Scarlett
April 17th, 2009, 2:59 PM
I have just discovered that my dog is scared to death of thunder!
I had to leave work early today because my son's school called, he is sick.
My dog will not get off of my feet and he is SHAKING! Kinda funny actually. Mr Big Bad Howling Beagle is quivering!

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Don't feel bad. I had a lab once that was terrified of guns! First time I took him out in the field and fired a shotgun he went nuts.

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
So what is Oscar's new friend's name??

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 3:43 PM
I just got home a couple of hours ago with my dog's new dog! He has no name yet. Perhaps I should post his picture and take name suggestions? Haha.
SO FAR, MY DOG LOVES HIS DOG! I had to separate them for a while, as the baby is just TIRED. So Oscar is sitting outside looking sad, and the baby is asleep on the couch. My kids will be home soon...they have no idea so this is going to be a big surprise.

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2009, 4:14 PM
Scarlett - the name is obvious. Your Beagle is named Oscar. Your dachsund is a "weiner" dog - therefore name him Meyer!!:)

FieryPrincess
April 18th, 2009, 4:19 PM
I was going to vote for Felix

Rick
April 18th, 2009, 4:42 PM
I just got home a couple of hours ago with my dog's new dog! He has no name yet. Perhaps I should post his picture and take name suggestions? Haha.
SO FAR, MY DOG LOVES HIS DOG! I had to separate them for a while, as the baby is just TIRED. So Oscar is sitting outside looking sad, and the baby is asleep on the couch. My kids will be home soon...they have no idea so this is going to be a big surprise.
That's gonna be something to remember.

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 5:01 PM
Scarlett - the name is obvious. Your Beagle is named Oscar. Your dachsund is a "weiner" dog - therefore name him Meyer!!:)

Hell NO. My son just came home and found his new puppy. He suggested the same thing. I said NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Right now, he is leaning towards being Rocky.
I took lots of pictures...I will post some soon.

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2009, 5:31 PM
"I said NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!":-0

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It's his puppy.
Rocky?? Come on. Get something that sticks out.

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 5:46 PM
His choice!
Except I refuse to walk an Oscar and a Meyer.

Dagobert II
April 18th, 2009, 7:24 PM
Some name suggestions for a male dacshund:

Odin, the fellow we named Wednesday for
Sleipnir, Odin's eight-legged horse
Thor, the fellow we named Thursday for
Parzifal, the knight who finds the Grail
Loki, the trickster god
Max, derived from the Latin Maximillianus
Otto, derived from German od meaning 'wealth'
Rudolf, from the German hrod "fame" and wulf "wolf"
Seigfreid, from the Germanic elements sigu "victory" and frid "peace"
Sven, From the Old Norse name Sveinn which meant "boy"
Werner, From a Germanic name derived from war "guard" combined with heri "army".
Wolfram, from the Germanic element wulf meaning "wolf" combined with hramn "raven".

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2009, 9:23 PM
Dacshund's are German. Need a good German name like Adolph, Ludwig or Hans.
Hell, name the thing "Arf", it won't know the difference.

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 9:56 PM
Here ya go...what does he LOOK LIKE he should be named?

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/puppy3.jpg
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/puppy3.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Scarlett
April 18th, 2009, 9:57 PM
Here is Oscar...being nice....

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr84/tcherizard/oscarandpuppy1.jpg

Rick
April 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
That's nice!!!

CenTexDave
April 19th, 2009, 8:26 AM
Cute puppy. One blue eye. Part Dacshund/Husky??

Scarlett
April 19th, 2009, 8:27 AM
Nope, he is full blood dachshund...Just has rare eyes!
I had a husky once like that too...with the blue and brown eye.

FieryPrincess
April 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM
cute!

Night Owl
April 20th, 2009, 8:06 AM
He looks like a Rufus!!!

Dagobert II
April 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
He looks like a Rufus!!!

How? Rufus: Roman cognomen which meant "red-haired" in Latin. Several early saints had this name, including one mentioned in one of Paul's epistles in the New Testament. As a nickname it was used by William II Rufus, a king of England, because of his red hair.

CenTexDave
April 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Or maybe Dufus!:))

Night Owl
April 20th, 2009, 12:57 PM
How? Rufus: Roman cognomen which meant "red-haired" in Latin. Several early saints had this name, including one mentioned in one of Paul's epistles in the New Testament. As a nickname it was used by William II Rufus, a king of England, because of his red hair.

Gee, I don't know, but he looks like a RUFUS to me.

Dufus could work also!!!:):):):)

Prince would have a nice ring to it also.

But I don't know what the Latin meaning is of that word either and could care less either way.

Night Owl
April 22nd, 2009, 5:06 PM
What is his name? Scruffy would be good!!!

Scarlett
April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 PM
Had a dog named Scruffy once...my mom ran over it...

His name is officially Rocky. My son named him. Not sure I am crazy about it, but it is growing on me.

Just got back from seeing Dr. Buckley for his first shots. All is well!

CenTexDave
April 23rd, 2009, 7:44 AM
"Rocky". Oh well. Sure is a cute pup though.

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2009, 7:59 AM
Rocky works. He is a cute puppy.

Scarlett, have any interesting stories yet?

Scarlett
April 23rd, 2009, 8:20 AM
Nothing too interesting yet. He is doing regular "I am a tiny dog but think I am a big bad Rott" kinda things.
He goes after my 15 pound cat, all 4.5 pounds of him...thinking he is a beast. She looks at him like he has lost his ever loving mind.
And he tries to attack himself every time he sees a mirror. That is actually kind of funny to watch.

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2009, 8:47 AM
Puppies are great. As for wanting to be the "king" of the house, that is a dacshund. Our little one (9 lbs) tries to run the other three. Major, our oldest and alpha male, can't seem to understand what the heck is that puppy doing. He gets the look of "doesn't he know who is boss?" :):)

stormy
April 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
oohh...Rocky AND Oscar are adorable!!

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2009, 7:20 PM
So it's been one week now since Rocky joined Oscar's household. How is he adjusting?

Scarlett
April 26th, 2009, 8:16 PM
Rocky has me wrapped around his paws already. He is asleep on my ankle right now, thus my awkward position while typing this with the laptop on my lap...I would try to explain it but it would be impossible. Simple solution is to move my foot, but he is sleeping so cutely right now...awww shucks....

And as for OSCAR?!? Best damn thing I ever did was get my dog a dog, so for whichever one of you told me to do that, I owe you. He takes such good care of Rocky, he hasn't tried to run off again yet! Other than try to steal bones from each other, all is well.

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2009, 8:38 PM
I assume Oscar is a male. Is Rocky also a male? If so, best get both males neutered at 1 year of age or there might be problems. If not, better get her fixed within 6 months or you'll have a bunch of little Oscars and Rockys.
But glad to hear it's worked out for the best. He/she is one cute pup.
And I think it was 3 or 4 different posters who recommended a dog for your dog because dogs are pack animals and need constant companionship or they go in search of it. I can see your summer vacation being centered around two dogs.

Scarlett
April 26th, 2009, 8:53 PM
They are both males, and Oscar has an appointment next month for the big snip!

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2009, 9:11 PM
Poor, poor Oscar.

Night Owl
April 27th, 2009, 7:44 AM
Our biggest daushund always takes his chew toys and uses the wifes foot as a resting point. It is cute.

Glad to hear the puppies are getting along.

engteach64
May 9th, 2009, 8:13 PM
Okay, Scarlett, let me tell you about a dog...we got Flash from the pound. My husband wanted to call him that because he was practically comotose. Well, once he got home he lived up to the name. The first day we left him alone he tore up the vertical blinds downstairs, and both sets of blinds in our bedroom. He also jumped on my dresser and knocked everything off. I cried when we got home. We kept him because they were going to put him down if we took him back.

We tried locking him up, but that didn't work either. Next he chewed up my husband's baret!! Um, he was not happy. After eating more of my husbands gear Flash was on his last let (so to speak) when my husband deployed. I was told we needed to get rid of him. I told my husband he Flash was doing great, and we were keeping him. He said okay. Yeah, he really loves me. He came home for R and R, and did some work. We went out and came home, and Flash ate my husbands Army issued flash drive. Oops! Dog is gone! My husband went back to Iraq, and I just ignored the get rid of him thing. Yeah, I know. I bought a kennel and Flash sleeps in it all the time and loves it. No more issues, and now he runs free with our other dog because he doesn't destroy stuff any more.

It only took 2 years to get him to quit. Goold luck with Oscar!

CenTexDave
May 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You certainly have more patience than I did. I adopted a dog from the Cove Animal Shelter a few years ago. Was a nice dog, but decided each and every corner of the wall was hers to chew on.
She lasted a week before I took her back.

engteach64
May 15th, 2009, 8:40 PM
I happen to be a sucker for those cute puppy dog eyes, especially beagles. They are just so cute!