PDA

View Full Version : False Pegnancy

Spartan
March 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Our great big pet, Gwendolyn, is a female bovine (a.k.a. "cow"). Her udder has become distended and hear teats seem to be filled but are very tender. She is a two-year old but has not yet know a bull. Is there such a thing as false pregnancy in bovines or should we look for some other cause. BTW: The udder and teats are not particularly hot, as I would expect them to be if she were suffering with mastitis. Any ideas?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Are you sure she hasn't met a bull? I don't treat cows anymore but I did for nine years and I don't recall a case of false pregnancy. You might express a small amount of milk if she'll let you and evaluate the color. Is it clear, white, yellow, blood-tinged etc? What breed is Gwendolyn?

Spartan
March 9th, 2011, 2:45 PM
Are you sure she hasn't met a bull? I don't treat cows anymore but I did for nine years and I don't recall a case of false pregnancy. You might express a small amount of milk if she'll let you and evaluate the color. Is it clear, white, yellow, blood-tinged etc? What breed is Gwendolyn?

She came into heat around October for the first time. Until now, her udder has always been small, sagging and empty. She has only had maybe 3 or 4 heats and always been alone. She was sold to us as a Jersey.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 9th, 2011, 4:11 PM
There is a syndrome known as precocious udder development. It is seen in non-pregnant and usually young heifers. Hormones are secreted by the ovaries and subsequent mammary development occurs. Milk is usually very dilute (like skim milk) and the udders are not painful. My research indicated that this rare condition can be related to granulosa cell tumor on the ovary but it is also VERY RARE. Other causes of udder development in the non-pregnant bovine include being fed very high protein diets and over-feeding, obesity, hereditary predisposition and some others. All in all, I believe it is unlikely that this is anything serious but I recommend Dr. Warren Dunn from Belton if you would like to have her examined. I hope this helps.